The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2017, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Gibson 1928 L-1 Blues Tribute?

Anyone have any experience with this guitar? It's got my interest at the moment. What did you think.

I used to have an old L-1 so I know something about them. The Blues Tribute seems to sound different than the others.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-21-2017, 08:50 PM
Guest 33123

I've had one for about a year. Nice guitar. What do you want to know?
Old 02-22-2017, 12:16 AM

L-1 tribute has rosewood fingerboard and bridge and Adirondack top which I personally don't like on a smaller body guitar. So I ended up with L-1 Robert Johnson which has Sitka spruce and ebony fingerboard and pyramid style bridge just like L-1 back in 1932 when Gibson try to copy Martin's pyramid bridge.

P.S. The L-1 Robert Johnson is almost half price of L-1 tribute.Same guitar but a lot cheaper.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I've had one for about a year. Nice guitar. What do you want to know?
I was wondering about the sound difference between the tribute and the RJ model. The one I had was pre-RJ model. It did not have much sustain and was VERY boxy sounding. It was cool but it made you want to play more of a delta style and not so much piedmont style. I like the highs on small Gibsons but the lows can be a little thumpy. What do you think?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-22-2017, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I was wondering about the sound difference between the tribute and the RJ model. The one I had was pre-RJ model. It did not have much sustain and was VERY boxy sounding. It was cool but it made you want to play more of a delta style and not so much piedmont style. I like the highs on small Gibsons but the lows can be a little thumpy. What do you think?
The tone you're describing is precisely why those models are popular in the first place. The question is whether the guitar you played - the pre-RJ - had ladder bracing or X bracing, which would account for the difference in tone.

Although both the RJ model and the '28 Tribute are X-braced, the RJ model is scalloped where the other is not. The former also has an Adirondack top, where the latter is Sitka. These differences could add a considerable difference to the tone.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I don't find words to be particularly effective when describing tone so here's a recent recording I did with my L-1. Tell me what you hear. Is it like your old L-1?

Old 02-22-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I don't find words to be particularly effective when describing tone so here's a recent recording I did with my L-1. Tell me what you hear. Is it like your old L-1?

I use my RJ as for my travel guitar. Everytime when I changed strings (brand) it change the sound.As I listened to the clip. My RJ has more bass for sure maybe because it has scalloped bracing but mid and high are not as much as yours (I put Martin lifespan '12 on it.).Great sustain with Gibson's factory bone nut and saddle, it rings forever.It also has soft V-neck ,not baseball batch neck which I like it alot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion