The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 08:00 PM

Yes, I own 2 of them with a million posts bragging about them!

Always check the signature line!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 PM

Congrats on the 324!!!!!!

The 324 is amazing with the mahogany top and Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides.

If you want a super dark, warm, chocolaty, Taylor this is THE one to get. It's very "Martin-ish" but with the nice Taylor note separation and Taylor playability. This guitar is super loud and booming.

Did I mention that it's dark?
G7th Capos
Old 02-17-2017, 09:52 PM

Very nice! The 3xx series is a fine guitar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2017, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the kind comments! Even though I bought this brand new, it is a 2015 with Sapele back & sides. I've played the newer 320's too, with Blackwood, and they sound superb, but I think I'm slightly partial to the Sapele with the hog top. I also prefer the white rosette over the black, which is why I hunted for a shop that still had a 2015 version of this model. I actually found two shops with a 2015 that were offering me pretty much the same price. I ended up going with this one after I realized that according to the serial number, the guitar was made on my birthday - no kidding! Pretty cool!
Old 02-18-2017, 12:39 PM

Congrats on the new Taylor.

Just curious, but why did you swap the 320 for the GA. I'm just wondering because the Mahogany topped Taylors are on my radar. I'm a dreadnought guy and noticed you also have a rosewood Taylor DN. Did the 320 have a similar vibe to your 810? I can also see wanting a smaller size since you already have a dread.

I know a mahogany top isn't going to be a big booming strummer like my Sitka/EIR dread so I'm debating on the 320 vs 324 if I went the mahogany top route. Just would like to hear your input on the two.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy your 324.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
Congrats on the new Taylor.

Just curious, but why did you swap the 320 for the GA. I'm just wondering because the Mahogany topped Taylors are on my radar. I'm a dreadnought guy and noticed you also have a rosewood Taylor DN. Did the 320 have a similar vibe to your 810? I can also see wanting a smaller size since you already have a dread.

I know a mahogany top isn't going to be a big booming strummer like my Sitka/EIR dread so I'm debating on the 320 vs 324 if I went the mahogany top route. Just would like to hear your input on the two.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy your 324.
I sold the 320 for a few reasons, but the main reason was because I realized that I wanted my "second" guitar to be something other than a dread (just for variety's sake). I also really wanted the shaded edge burst. The 320 was big and full like my 810, but had a much more "compressed" mid-rangy tone. Both are great strummers, and I really like the sound/tone of both. The spruce/rosewood 810 has a much snappier high end sparkle, as well as a very pronounced bass response. The 320 is more woody and mellow. Now, the 324 is everything the 320 is in a slightly smaller package, and maybe not quite as loud. It's not drastically quieter, though. It really sounds fantastic, and can take anything I give it. For me the difference is mainly size (shape) and aesthetic with the SEB.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. Those reasons certainly make sense.
Looks like you got three great Taylors.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:36 PM

Congrats on the nice Taylor! Now you got TWO winners in the area (since you're on the North Side, I'm kinda assuming you are pretty stoked about the Cubbies). I really like the 3xx series feel and sound, and the ones that have the short-scale are really fun to play. Your top is really nice, too! Great find. Enjoy.
2018 Larrivee Custom OM-10 Rosewood/Alpine Moon Spruce/Torch inlay
2018 Taylor 524ce LTD NAMM Show all-walnut
Old 05-15-2017, 06:02 AM

I am thinking of getting a Taylor 324e. Can anyone shed some light on the tone? I have two 214ce guitars (BLK and SB) and a 310ce made in 2002, so am curious what a Mahogany top sounds like compared to Sitka Spruce.

Nice guitar, BTW!
Old 05-15-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrick View Post
I am thinking of getting a Taylor 324e. Can anyone shed some light on the tone? I have two 214ce guitars (BLK and SB) and a 310ce made in 2002, so am curious what a Mahogany top sounds like compared to Sitka Spruce.

Nice guitar, BTW!
You'll probably get a better response starting a new thread, since this older NGD one won't get much new traffic, but as a noob who owns spruce, cedar and mahogany-topped guitars, I will say the mahogany's tonal range is compressed (not as high-highs, not as low-lows) and, though it can be used for anything, seems best suited for older-style bluesy music from the era when mahogany guitars were first used (early last century?). At least that's where they sound "normal" to me. I wouldn't necessarily have one as my only guitar, but plenty do, and they're happy. I love the sound and am glad I have the option. Yes, I'm selling one, but that's only because of the dread size - I already replaced it with a Taylor M522 that I like very much.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:39 AM

Thank you for the response. I am a strummer, a robust one at that! I find the 214ces a tad bright and shimmery. Not a BAD quality, I just want something slightly more mid range-y. Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrick View Post
Thank you for the response. I am a strummer, a robust one at that! I find the 214ces a tad bright and shimmery. Not a BAD quality, I just want something slightly more mid range-y. Thanks again!
May or may not solve your issue, but Taylor used to recommend 80/20 strings for their guitars, which are bright(est), so that contributes to the Taylor sound. Since Andy Taylor got involved, Taylor's revamped its recommendation for all past/present guitars to phosphor bronze, which is down a notch or 2 on the brightness scale. If you haven't experimented with strings, you might use this scale to work through the options to find a type that will enable to you keep the 214: http://www.daddario.com/DADProductsAcoustic.Page
Old 05-16-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
May or may not solve your issue, but Taylor used to recommend 80/20 strings for their guitars, which are bright(est), so that contributes to the Taylor sound. Since Andy Taylor got involved, Taylor's revamped its recommendation for all past/present guitars to phosphor bronze, which is down a notch or 2 on the brightness scale. If you haven't experimented with strings, you might use this scale to work through the options to find a type that will enable to you keep the 214: http://www.daddario.com/DADProductsAcoustic.Page
Hmmmmmm....interesting. I did not know that. Couldn't hurt the put some of these on one of my 214ces and A/B it to see how it sounds. Could save me a bundle. Thanks!! Great idea.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Very nice! Taylor does a really nice with those SEBs. Looks great!
Old 05-16-2017, 11:26 PM

Man I wish you people would quit posting these 3xx ngd's. Those things make my eyes melt. My favorite look in a guitar. I must have one.

This one is splendid. I know you're going to have a Great time with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion