The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-23-2016, 08:54 PM

Default Damaged classical mandolin

Hi,

I was hoping you good people would have a look at this mandolin I acquired some years ago. This summer the FLA heat and the wall unit A/C got to it causing it to expand/contract...and eventually cracked.

I always wondered if it was valuable, not anymore. Still Id be curious to know the approximate age and if anyone has suggestions for repair Im always up for a garage project.

Thanks.
Steve

Old 12-23-2016, 10:43 PM

Interesting piece, but it was probably never worth very much. There were tons of mandolins like this produced. If you are very curious, take it over to www.mandolincafe.com. It is a very well-moderated forum with lots of very knowledgeable posters.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:30 AM

Yes, not an expensive instrument. Looks like a mahogany top and mahogany is prone to cracking on old instruments. If the braces are still glued to the top, look inside with a mirror and light, then I would fill the cracks with wood and glue it in and not try to close the crack. It could still be a playable instrument. Be sure to use light strings on any instrument of this type of construction.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments