The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-06-2023, 10:17 AM

Default Tabbing songs

I would like to download a song from YouTube & have it automatically converted to tab. What would be the best way/software to do this?
Old 08-06-2023, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Sorry I'm not aware of any tab program that does that (maybe they exist I don't know) however there are several notational software programs available that you could use to tab the song yourself. I use Tabledit but that's just one of many available. It's takes some effort to become familiar with the software but well worth it in the long run. YMMV ect.
Old 08-06-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBarker View Post
I would like to download a song from YouTube & have it automatically converted to tab. What would be the best way/software to do this?
Not possible.

There is software that can translate audio to digital information, and from there to MIDI, and from MIDI to notation. I've not seen it done automatically- without human intervention on the way - but it ought to be possible. But the notation would always need editing, correcting, polishing, to make it legible for a musician to play from.

Tab is not possible, though, because there is no way that such software would know where specific pitches are played on the guitar.
Old 08-06-2023, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Tabbing songs

I’ve wondered about converting songs to tab using software. I haven’t tried any of the software mentioned in the second thread shared below. So I can’t speak to its ease of use.

There are many services that can be hired to tab a song from a video or audio file. See the first shared thread.

JonPR does this as a side gig, as I understand. I will use him the next time I need a song “translated”.

Recommendations wanted for good transcription service
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=660228

Recommendations for guitar tablature software
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=591311

Best of luck,
Tom
Old 08-06-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
JonPR does this as a side gig, as I understand.
Thanks Tom, I do indeed.

In fact Bert Jansch vol.2 - advertised elsewhere - is largely my own work, as I did a lot more of the original transcriptions than in the first book.
Old 08-06-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBarker View Post
As mentioned, you wont find any software that will do this automatically for you. but there is lots that will help you listen so you can do it yourself.

Slowdowners have been around for years - I use Transcribe - https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html
and now you can get AI apps like moises, which separate instruments in a mix - e.g. removing vocals so you can hear the guitar(s).
https://moises.ai/
Old 08-06-2023, 01:43 PM

Most songs have multiple instruments. What exactly do you want tabbed?
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 08-06-2023, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
I’ve wondered about converting songs to tab using software.
As JonPR points out and explains, TAB is still beyond reach.
Supposedly though, a newly created AI software called ScoreCloud will notate out music played from your computer music library.
That seems like a step up from what has been available up to now.
But even AI can't yet do guitar TAB. Not smart enough....yet!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 08-07-2023, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Transcribing solo guitar from video's is great ear training and a good skill to develop IMO. It definitely helps to have a clear view of both of the players hands but with enough practice you could probably do it by ear alone.

I invested in a Vidami pedal which lets me slow the video speed without changing pitch, reverse, FF, and loop but you can do a lot these days with Y/T videos without a pedal.
Old 08-07-2023, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

I've done a couple of easy ear to paper transcibing, but it takes me forever. I don't have a good ear and for many notes I cheat and use my tuner to identify the note,

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 08-07-2023, 02:39 PM

RipX can at least pull chords out. I don't know about extracting a melody though.

Songsterr will also show chords for songs on YT.
Old 08-07-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
RipX can at least pull chords out. I don't know about extracting a melody though.

Is that done from audio, or from midi? I don't quite follow the what the piano roll is showing. (Very suspicious of that "Gmaj11"...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
Songsterr will also show chords for songs on YT.
With similarly mixed success, IME.

These things don't really save you any work, because even if they can be trusted 90% of the time, how will you know which is the 10%? You have to go through it all and check the results by ear anyway.
Old 08-07-2023, 04:50 PM

I think most people around here can play by ear, but I certainly can't. Such tools aren't perfect but starting with Songsterr and not a blank piece of paper saves me time.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Whatever song you're looking for there's a very good chance somebody already tabbed it and posted it on Ultimate Guitar or a similar site. When it comes to free tab found on the net, it's hard to say how accurate it is but even if its not it could give you a good start to figuring the song out.
Old 08-07-2023, 08:24 PM

The Spark family of amps has a feature in the software app to do something like this

You can play a song from YouTube / Spotify / Apple Music through the app and request that Spark analyze it and give you a real-time interactive chord chart for the song as it plays

https://www.positivegrid.com/blogs/p...rds-technology is a video demo to give you an idea of if it’s something that seems useful to you or not

It’s done a much better job of recognition for some songs than others in my experience with it…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write