The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-25-2017, 06:28 PM

Default Anyone familiar with the Washburn W-1 hollow body?

Hey there friends,

There is a nice used Washburn hollow body for sale locally for a good price for its condition. The label says its a "W -1", but i cant find any info on that model? Any of you have any experience with this series? I know its not super fancy but it might a fun one to have around (I don't have an archtop yet).

Taylor 616e (2013)
Taylor 150e (2014)
Martin 000-28EC (1997)
Washburn D-21 (1980 Tiger Maple Sunburst)
Washburn D-10S/12 (2003)
Gibson SG (1978, 1983 Dimarzio SD Dual Sound pu's)
2016 Fender Telecaster (Special Edition Deluxe Ash, Baja controls, Maverick tremolo)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:59 AM

It appears to be a downscale, all-acoustic version of the J-10 Orleans archtop, only produced for a short time in the early-90's to compete with the better-known Epiphone Emperor Regent; don't know whether it's a prototype for the J-10 or simply a model that evaded inclusion in the catalog (FWIW Epiphone produced a very small number - no more than ten from reports I've heard - of all-acoustic Emperor Regents around the same time, so this may have been intended as a competitor) but suffice it to say that the J-10 was/is highly respected among jazz players on a budget, and is beginning to achieve minor collector status. FYI the J-10 Orleans, like the Emperor Regent, was a fully viable acoustic instrument when properly set up; if this one's in good shape (seems to be from the photos), sounds good, and the price is right, I say go for it - you're not likely to find another one anytime soon, if at all...
Old 06-26-2017, 04:56 PM

Thank you for your input!

The body is definitely a ringer for the J-10, it was the head stock and tail piece that was throwing me off.

Its less than $200 so if it doesn't need new frets it will be worth the gamble.

I am going to try and go by tomorrow evening and give it a strum.
Taylor 616e (2013)
Taylor 150e (2014)
Martin 000-28EC (1997)
Washburn D-21 (1980 Tiger Maple Sunburst)
Washburn D-10S/12 (2003)
Gibson SG (1978, 1983 Dimarzio SD Dual Sound pu's)
2016 Fender Telecaster (Special Edition Deluxe Ash, Baja controls, Maverick tremolo)
Old 06-26-2017, 05:36 PM

IMO at less than $200 you'd be crazy not to buy it, worn frets or not - and if I lived in Houston I'd be on my way over cash-in-hand right now; even if you lay out $100+/- for a professional grind-&-polish job and/or partial refret (based on the photos I sincerely doubt it's been played enough to warrant all-new frets) you're still way ahead of the game, since you've got what essentially amounts to an all-acoustic Orleans. Not to put the cart before the horse, so to speak, but I'd ditch the generic tailpiece for something more aesthetically/tonally suitable (possibly a Benedetto-style wooden TP) and set it up with a pickguard/suspended PU (FYI Guild offers the classic DeArmond Rhythm Chief in both "Redhead" and polepiece versions) - should give you a nice early-50's tone with a set of flatwound 13's and a low/mid-powered 1x12"/1x15" tube combo...
Old 07-18-2017, 08:10 AM

I had a J10 back in the 90s which sounded great, with acoustic or plugged I and EQed. I used in a dance band and for many flat top type venues. As good a sound from an archtop as I've heard. In short order, the neck binding cracked into little time segments, I complained to Washburn (I was original owner) and they declined to do anything. I responded with a scathing review over social media and then dumped the thing. Washburn protested my criticism but still didn't help. Last Washburn.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops