The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-25-2017, 11:50 AM

Default Maton and M-80

Hi, I've written before and got great responses. I have a Maton SRS808 (similar to the TE signature model). It has the AP5 Pro ust/mic system. The guitar acoustically, while quiet, has a good tone, and the ease of play is incredible. I use 11's.
I just can't get what I need out of the AP5 pro. It sounds boxy and compressed, and limited in frequency response. I know it is in the fingers, but I want a sound that pops, deep bass, clear highs, I guess everyone wants this.
What if I put an M80 on there and either bypassed the AP5 pro or even got the M80 plus the ust working in sync. I am not totally concerned about keeping the exact sound of the Maton, I need a good clear sound, to go through an on stage amp and PA.
The other piece I am missing of course is the AER Colourizer or Dual EQ that is often used with Matons. Could that make all the difference?
If you don't like Maton's that is cool, but no suggestions please about just dumping this guitar, because I like it, thanks!
Old 06-25-2017, 06:15 PM

If you can't get a good sound through a PA/Amp with that pickup you's doin' sumfin' wrong.

I have never been a real Maton fan, but plenty of guys I know use them live, mostly 808's. They are not 'bassy' guitars, but a great comfortable size. I recently tried the new Nashville model and it actually has me thinking to trade my Tak against one.

sounds as though you are hung up on the TE 'sound' which is cool but you n me both aint him. I found that with the sliders flat and then the mids rolled off slightly piezo about 2 oclock and the mic about 9 it was a brilliantly clean live sound.

Maybe add an EQ of some sort, start flat and tweak small to taste. Different strings perhaps, 11's should be fine. Happy tweaking.

Kris
Old 06-25-2017, 07:22 PM

It is a nice guitar I agree, no dumping on it from me. I won't be much help either though. I assume you've tried different settings and mic mix and positions? of course you would have. I'm at a loss. I have that guitar and a few more with the AP5pro and I can plug any of them into a cardboard box and they sound ready for the stage. I guess if you want more of a TE sound the AER gear will most likely do that.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:01 PM

Try using thicker strings 11's are extra light maybe going to lights (12's) or thicker strings. To be honest I am not very familiar with Maton guitars. If you can't fix the tone with electronics or strings maybe find another guitar that will suit your needs better for when you need more bass.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:11 PM

Not sure if it's the sound you are looking for but, if I want a great acoustic sound out of my Maton, I use Thomastik Infeld Plectrum strings on it. As I've rarely used the pickup in mine, I cannot comment on the amplified sound. For that fact, mine is way older than the modern electronics anyway.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:09 AM

Thanks everybody for these responses. I am hung up on the TE sound and I am not him, absolutely true. The songs I do attempt to play from Tommy, I can get a decent sound acoustically, but just frustrated through the AER.
I appreciate the advice. Maybe I will get the AER preamp...
Old 06-26-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
Thanks everybody for these responses. I am hung up on the TE sound and I am not him, absolutely true. The songs I do attempt to play from Tommy, I can get a decent sound acoustically, but just frustrated through the AER.
I appreciate the advice. Maybe I will get the AER preamp...
I don't think you should need the AER preamp. If you have an AER amp, the Maton should sound great running it through that. A couple things...

First, I definitely agree with the suggestion above to try slightly heavier strings. I would try either the Martin Flexi Core that TE uses in light guage (12-54), or I like the Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze (12-53) on my Maton 808.

Second, take a look at your settings on the preamp. I remember playing a tune with TE at a guitar camp. I have the AP5 Pro in my Maton, and when I plugged in he looked over to see where my settings were at. I had everything running at about half. He said I needed to "give it some stick." TE runs the volume controls on both the undersaddle pickup and the mic at full. He also turns the bass and treble sliders way up, maybe not at full but pretty close. He said the Maton pickup system sounds best when run with the settings like this. I have to say, it did make a difference!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification