The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-20-2017, 10:37 AM

Default How long to learn the CAGED system?

I have finally internalized the E and A-shapes, all 11 of them, and have now finally begun working on the C and D shapes. Might not do the G as much as it is relatively rarely used.

Its taken me about 2 months to fully absorb and grasp the E and A shapes - did anyone else find it takes that long? Maybe I'm getting senile.

I am holding off learning more of the scale patterns for major, major pentatonic, and minor pentatonic until I have the CAGED shapes down.

So much to learn...
Old 06-20-2017, 12:28 PM

I've been having trouble mastering the CAGED system, although for me it's mostly because my fingers don't like the C and G barre chord fingering. I'm just curious, what do you mean by "fully absorb"? Does it mean gaining the ability to switch positions without thinking about it?
Old 06-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrivera View Post
I have finally internalized the E and A-shapes, all 11 of them, and have now finally begun working on the C and D shapes. Might not do the G as much as it is relatively rarely used.

Its taken me about 2 months to fully absorb and grasp the E and A shapes - did anyone else find it takes that long? Maybe I'm getting senile.

I am holding off learning more of the scale patterns for major, major pentatonic, and minor pentatonic until I have the CAGED shapes down.

So much to learn...
I think what your post means is that you can now play any key any where on the neck using the E and A shapes.

One aspect of the beauty of the caged system, as i see it, is the ability to play any chord as physically near to the others, and by having five different shapes to work with, you're virtually guarantted to be able to play "in the box" (within a four fret range mostly).

I will hope that you are also learning a song or two as you work on the scales and patterns. It makes the practice so much more rewarding when you can hear it in action!

good luck!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 06-20-2017, 01:22 PM

Watching the calendar and plotting your future progress is unhealthy.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I use and teach the CAGED system not so much as to how to play chords, but how to play and transpose various lead guitar phrases all over the fingerboard. Each one of those phrases are related to their Shape and thus can be transposed to any key. It's all visual.

Usually, my students understand the concept within a matter of minutes and are able to play and transpose phrases within an hour or less. After that one can spend years adding more and more phrases to their vocabulary. The concept is immeasurably valuable once you understand it and apply it to your playing.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
I've been having trouble mastering the CAGED system, although for me it's mostly because my fingers don't like the C and G barre chord fingering. I'm just curious, what do you mean by "fully absorb"? Does it mean gaining the ability to switch positions without thinking about it?
Yes, to be able to move from one of the 55 positions (some are unusable like the E-shape sus 2, so probably a few less than that) without having to think about what the shape is/where your fingers go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
I think what your post means is that you can now play any key any where on the neck using the E and A shapes. One aspect of the beauty of the caged system, as i see it, is the ability to play any chord as physically near to the others, and by having five different shapes to work with, you're virtually guarantted to be able to play "in the box" (within a four fret range mostly). I will hope that you are also learning a song or two as you work on the scales and patterns. It makes the practice so much more rewarding when you can hear it in action! good luck!
Thanks, and you're right about my post - I was trying to determine if I am just stupid and cannot absorb/learn new things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Watching the calendar and plotting your future progress is unhealthy.
Agreed, I haven't put a clock on it but am just trying to get a sense if I am a slow learner or that I am normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
I use and teach the CAGED system not so much as to how to play chords, but how to play and transpose various lead guitar phrases all over the fingerboard. Each one of those phrases are related to their Shape and thus can be transposed to any key. It's all visual.

Usually, my students understand the concept within a matter of minutes and are able to play and transpose phrases within an hour or less. After that one can spend years adding more and more phrases to their vocabulary. The concept is immeasurably valuable once you understand it and apply it to your playing.
I got the concept, but mastering the roughly 55 shapes is what is the issue. I have gotten about 22 so far, and am starting the next set of 22. My goal is to easily and smoothly be able to transition from one to another without trying to figure them out.

Meaning, to be able to look at a page of sheet music or chord page and be able to play without having to do the "well, finger 1 goes there, and finger two goes there..."
Old 06-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:

So much to learn...
Just curious.....what are you using as your learning reference(s)?
Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Just curious.....what are you using as your learning reference(s)?
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/PR-0...ctionGuide.php

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/PR-0...usicTheory.php

www.justinguitar.com

The first book is solely about the CAGED system, the second book covers basic theory.

I completed the beginner's and intermediate courses on the site, which were excellent - and free, and also purchased the book on scales here:

https://www.thejustinguitarstore.com...ajor-scale-dvd

I am waiting to complete the CAGED system before going through the major scales, though you can get a lot of the scale material here without the video/DVD.

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-000-Scales.php

(No I don't work for Justin, just swear by his teaching method and site.)
Old 06-20-2017, 09:01 PM

I need to learn this.
Thanks for the reference!
Old 06-20-2017, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

I always meant to spend an hour or so a week on CAGED but never get around to it. I'll have to check out these sources, thanks.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I always meant to spend an hour or so a week on CAGED but never get around to it. I'll have to check out these sources, thanks.
Get both books if you have the wherewithal; the first will fill in any theory gaps, and the second is solely the CAGED system, all of the grips are in it.

Justin also put up a course for the CAGED system on his site, forgot to list it earlier:

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/TB-0...DsystemVid.php

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/TB-031-CAGEDsystem1.php

etc.

He has a lesson on each of the 5 shapes.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Get both books if you have the wherewithal; the first will fill in any theory gaps, and the second is solely the CAGED system, all of the grips are in it.

Justin also put up a course for the CAGED system on his site, forgot to list it earlier:

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/TB-0...DsystemVid.php

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/TB-031-CAGEDsystem1.php

etc.

He has a lesson on each of the 5 shapes.
Thank you!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:28 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/PR-0...ctionGuide.php

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/PR-0...usicTheory.php

www.justinguitar.com

The first book is solely about the CAGED system, the second book covers basic theory.

I completed the beginner's and intermediate courses on the site, which were excellent - and free, and also purchased the book on scales here:

https://www.thejustinguitarstore.com...ajor-scale-dvd

I am waiting to complete the CAGED system before going through the major scales, though you can get a lot of the scale material here without the video/DVD.

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-000-Scales.php

(No I don't work for Justin, just swear by his teaching method and site.)
Thank you. I'm familiar with Justin, but haven't spent much time at his site. I really should. Thanks again!
Old 06-20-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:

So much to learn...
I'm confused in general about the point of the CAGED system. I don't get why people put so much effort into learning only major chords. Since I didn't learn the fretboard that way, I can't figure out why it's supposed to be an advantage. But, that being said, I'm still curious what other people are doing with it, because I do want to learn anything that is an advantage, so I have a question:

You said you learned all 11 of the E and A shapes, meaning, I guess, 11 E shapes and 11 A shapes? What 11? I mean, I think of the E shape as one shape.

One shape, root on string 6, 5th on 5, octave on 4, 3rd on 3, etc.

I have to put a barre on it to make it movable, but I still think one shape, move it up and down fretboard, and it plays major chords with roots on the 6 string, that's it. What are the 11 different shapes that take a couple months to learn?

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

Last edited by SunnyDee; 06-20-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
I'm confused in general about the point of the CAGED system. I don't get why people put so much effort into learning only major chords. Since I didn't learn the fretboard that way, I can't figure out why it's supposed to be an advantage. But, that being said, I'm still curious what other people are doing with it, because I do want to learn anything that is an advantage, so I have a question:

You said you learned all 11 of the E and A shapes, meaning, I guess, 11 E shapes and 11 A shapes? What 11? I mean, I think of the E shape as one shape.

One shape, root on string 6, 5th on 5, octave on 4, 3rd on 3, etc.

I have to put a barre on it to make it movable, but I still think one shape, move it up and down fretboard, and it plays major chords with roots on the 6 string, that's it. What are the 11 different shapes that take a couple months to learn?
I don't get the 11 either, but if you just Google CAGED, you get answers very quickly on the method in general. It works on building chords of the C, A, G, E, and D shapes. So, I understand there's 5 different shapes per chord in one octave for the CAGED system, but I don't understand the 11 either.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write