The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-07-2003, 05:58 AM

Default Collings Dreadnaught? How does it compare?

I'm thinking of buying a used Collings Dread from a friend who lives in another state, sight unseen. He says it is a dream guitar. Before I take the plunge how does the sound and playability of a Collings compare to the new revoiced dreads Taylor puts out? Is the $1,000 dollars difference between the two guitars worth the price? I have a 2002 710 LTD I really enjoy. Has anyone on here had experience with a Collings. I know nothing about them except that they are pre-war Martin remakes and are expensive.

Comments appreciated.

Tom

P.S. My wife says forget it, Tom! Do I listen to her?
Old 07-07-2003, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

I'm pretty much totally impressed with Collings. To me, the dreads compare more to Martin dreads than they do to Taylors. That said though, the "average Collings" blows the "average Martin" clean out of the water in terms of playability and sound. In my experience, the setup on the various Collings I've played varies more than most Taylors, but that is something that is relatively easy to adjust to your personal taste. Sound-wise, they're just a dream. Visually, most models tend to be a bit on the plain side, but construction details are just amazing and as close to perfect as I've ever seen.

I'd try to go play a couple of them at a local shop before you purchase one that expensive - they're great guitars, but they're not really like Taylors in my opinion. That said, if you decide to buy sight unseen and you're getting a good deal on it, you ought to be able to sell or trade it again with no problem at all if you don't like it - they are highly sought after.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Collings Dreadnaught? How does it compare?

Quote:
Originally posted by tomthebaptist
Before I take the plunge how does the sound and playability of a Collings compare to the new revoiced dreads Taylor puts out? Is the $1,000 dollars difference between the two guitars worth the price?
Has anyone on here had experience with a Collings. Comments appreciated.

Tom

P.S. My wife says forget it, Tom! Do I listen to her?
I won't even touch the part about listening to your wife. My thoughts are it is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

With respect to the Collings, when I decide to get another high end acoustic, other than a 12 string it will be a Collings. I do compare the quality to Taylor. They are not as pretty but sound and playability it as good or better.

The Collings has a lot of thud! To me this is what Taylor is missing on the dreads, just not enough boom and throatiness.

That being said I love the Taylor tone. I'd just prefer to have a stable of all different kinds of sound. To the novice listener most of Taylors sound the same. I'm sure most of the Collings will sound the same as well.

If you want a LOUD great sounding guitar, you can't go wrong with the Collings!

Peter Huttlinger, 2001 Wakefield National Fingerstyle Champion, Lead Guitarist for John Denver from 90-95 (or there abouts) swears by them, and he doesn't get paid to play them. He's not all fingerstyle as he has played for many, many different artist!
Old 07-07-2003, 08:29 AM

I agree with Architectx completely. Collings makes truly exceptional guitars with incredible attention to detail. They are a small shop and so can afford to do this. Even Bob Taylor owns one.

Collings are essentially old time Martin guitars made the way people wish Martins could still be made but can't because Martin is a large factory and has to turn out a lot of guitars every day. The Collings dread design and sound is based on the pre-war Martin dreads. It is a different sound than the Taylor sound. If you like the old time Martins' tone then you will really like a Collings.

You didn't mention which model Collings your friend was offering. If it is a D-1 it would be a mahogany dreadnaught and if it is a D-2 or D-3 then it would be a rosewood one. There are options you can get on Collings such as Adirondack spruce tops which are noted by adding a letter A to the end of a model number and such.

Unlike Taylors, Collings are not discounted very much. They don't build many and demand for them is high. No authorized dealer is permitted to give more than 10% off list price. Here is the the Collings website: http://www.collingsguitars.com
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 07-07-2003, 11:34 AM

Collings guitars have never really "blown up my skirt"... However, they are great guitars if that's the sound you're looking for. I played a couple last week and they were awesome - very clean and nice sounding...just not the sound I'm looking for.

One particular detail of Collings guitars that everyone has failed to mention is that they utilize a bolt-on neck just like Taylor. I'm a firm believer in the bolt-on neck technology used by many luthiers...makes it a piece of cake for a neck reset (every guitar will need one at least once). So my reccomendation is that if you want a "Martin-esque" style guitar that sounds like a Martin should, I'd go with either a Collings or a Bourgeois...Bourgeois uses a bolt-on neck that is very similar to the NT neck. I've never played a Bourgeois, but I hear they're phenominal. Santa Cruz makes an awesome Martin-style guitar, but still use a Dove Tail neck joint. They're very hard and EXPENSIVE to reset and you can only reset a dove tail joint a couple of times.

God Bless!!!
'97 Baby
'05 Breedlove OM-R Deluxe
Rom. 10:9-10

Last edited by akoch; 07-07-2003 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:13 PM

I played a used D-03 (I think that's the model) once and regretted not purchasing it. It was simply a fantastic instrument. Everything about it was appealing to me. My next purchase, once I hit the lotto, will probably include a Collings.

Cheers

Chris
Old 07-07-2003, 01:26 PM

FWIW department . I have a Collings OM2 and love it
I also have a friend for whom hard times is forcing him to part with his Collings dread . I was with him when he shelled out 3400 bucks for it and he is asking 3000 for it now in like new condition. With a set of John Pearce strings on it , I have never heard anything better and it plays unlike any Martin you ever touched.
If I did not know better I would think is was a Taylor for playing ease. My thoughts on this guitar to my freind was the Guitar is too plain to bring that kind of money but every one says because it is a special model that few were built with the Adorondike spruce and it will bring that much easily to those who know about it . So anyway if you are intersted email me and I will give you his number. The Guitar is in Georgia at this time and has two buyers trying to come up with the money. So if you are intersted let him know soon.

Good luck you will love you Collings as much as your Taylors .

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 07-07-2003, 01:46 PM

I've only played Collings in my local shop and have never owned one. Like others have mentioned, they are great guitars. The dreads are loud - louder than Martins for sure, even though I thought Collings borrowed the basic design from Martin. They also have a brighter treble end than Martin. Very nice guitar overall.

I'm sure if you buy it, you will be extremely happy.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:51 PM

collings are nice but I would stick to your taylor. What model? Ive played a d2h and a d2ha......
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Guitars, you only get out of it what you put into it

Member #885
Old 07-07-2003, 05:36 PM

Default I sold a Collings to get a Taylor

I had a Collings D2H,,,, Nice bluegrass guitar for Flatpicking and
rythem,,, very very well made, and mine was as good as any ive ever played,,,,, I did not like the scale length... if you play up the
neck,, it felt stiff to me (i kept it for 8 years, anyway)
When i heard that Taylor was revoiceing the their dreads,
I took a risk,, sold the Colllings and took the money and
bought a revoiced 810... most of the bluegrass people i jam
with thought i was nuts..... The Taylor has better Bass than the
Collings,,, but the Collings was very well balanced and probably
better if you like easy eq'ing on the mic...
The Taylor responds to fingerpicking better than the Collings, which seemed to repond better to a strong flatpick attack.
I found the Taylor much easier to play..........
So it is not cut and dry..... im not sorry i got the Taylor,, for my needs it works better for my needs..
Cant go wrong with Collings, or Santa cruz.. or any of them,
and a CNC machine is a CNC Machine,, weve entered the age of
equality.
Rick
Old 07-07-2003, 07:05 PM

Opinions are just that....and mine is that Collings doesn't do it for me......more aligned with Martin (tone and shape) and doesn't ring my bell. After 4 hours in Mandolin Brothers a couple of weeks ago, I'm thinking Goodall (when I'm not thinking about the TGF deluxe).....my Taylors with bone saddles are the equal of the Goodalls, but the Goodalls are the best of what I've played as delivered.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:04 PM

I want to thank everyone of you that responded to my question. I understand that opinion is just that and that there are various taste, likes, dislikes etc. I've decided to go ahead and purchase the Collings Dread. By the way it is a sunburst D2. I'm getting a good deal on it, and if I don't like it I'll sell it. I've been playing my 710 LTD revoiced dread tongiht and really like the sound of it. The only down side is the V-neck which is too bulky for me. Anyway, the Collings should arrive Wed. or Thurs. I'll keep you guys posted, maybe make a few pics and share them with you. I posted several weeks ago that I came across a 1940 Martin D-18 and picked up for a steal. Its in process of being repaired by John Levan in Nashville. Will post pics of it when it is returned.

tc
Old 07-08-2003, 07:39 PM

One man's opinion. I have played both, and a Bourgeois.sp? The Taylor is easier to play as usual.

If you are plugging in, I think the Taylor with the ES will be number 1. Recording? a good mic and engineer will make the Taylor shine.

If you are playing with everything unplugged, the Collings will be louder brighter punchier. Bourgeois dreadnought is a tossup with the Collings. It will come down to string selection and setup, and talent.

IMHO
your mileage may vary.
Fender Steel guitars
MSA pedal steel guitar
Old 07-09-2003, 01:03 AM

Just wanted to pitch in.

I played two Collings dreads in my lifetime. Both were D2's. They both had the worst condition strings I've ever seen.

And those dreads convinced me that my dream dread sound comes from a Collings. Even with those dead strings, the guitar was wonderfully balanced...a great, nice rich low end, but enough sparkle to call the sound balanced. A little bit harder to play than a Taylor in terms of action...but it was still awesome for strumming and flatpicking.

My dream dread...not a Taylor...but a Collings.

(I'm still wondering what they'd sound like with a fresh set of Elixers.)

No Taylors yet...
Martin 000C-16GTE Premium
Old 07-09-2003, 10:22 AM

I had the good fortune of being pulled into an hour-long, in-store comparison for someone else deciding between a D-1 and a D-1A, and I had a great time because I didn't have the pressure of making a decision or shelling out the money. Both were mahogany dreads with Sitka and Adirondack tops, respectively, and they were killers. They played like a dream and had loads of power, and would sway me easily if I were in the market for a dread. They don't sound like Taylors, but their target is more along the lines of vintage Martins.

I've also recently played a couple of Collings OMs. One was a full-tilt model with Brazilian rosewood, German spruce, and tons of abalone, and the other was a custom model belonging to one of the store owners that was Indian rosewood and Sitka, with minimal appointments. Both were incredible.

As akoch noted, Collings uses a bolt-on neck, similar to Taylor's original design. It wouldn't be the deciding factor, but it's an extra point in Collings' favor, IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification