The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2017, 02:29 PM

Default Still in search of optimal string for my Taylor 614ce

As I noted in previous threads/posts, I found changing to DR Sunbeam strings on my Martin D35 has breathed incredible life into it, I've not been so fortunate to find "THE" optimal strings for my Taylor 614ce.

So far I've tried a couple different gauges of Elixirs and frankly they are just ok for a premium string. Next I tried a set of the DR Sunbeams, which while incredible on my Martin didn't do a lot for me on the Taylor. Next I tried, as per a forum member's recommendation, the D'Addario Bluegrass strings. I think they're ok too, but the 13's on the low end make it a little harder on my (arthritic) hands for marginal gain in sound.

Does anyone else have any ideas of strings to change? I'm looking to get a bit closer to the Taylor 814ce sound, a bit rounder, warmer, with a tight bass and even balance... but without getting muddy. Thoughts?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-18-2017, 02:34 PM

Monels?

It's possible that no string on the market can make the guitar sound like you want it to.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, 1966
Old 01-18-2017, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

I have two Taylors and like the John Pearse Phosphor Bronze bluegrass or the mediums. Good overall performance, and does bring out the bass enough for me. I have tried many, many brands and gauges. It seems I keep coming back to the John Pearse's
Old 01-18-2017, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

What exactly are you trying to achieve? You used the phrase "gain in sound"

Are you looking for more volume? More bass? More treble? More mids? More sustain? More clarity?

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 01-18-2017, 02:41 PM

I found the D'Addario Nickel Bronze Light 12-53 quite powerful with excellent volume and a tone somewhere between Monels and PB's.

I put them on a very cheap glue-it-together-yourself kit guitar and that thing is punching way above it's weight so I can only imagine how they might sound on a beautiful guitar like your 614ce.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-18-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
What exactly are you trying to achieve? You used the phrase "gain in sound"

Are you looking for more volume? More bass? More treble? More mids? More sustain? More clarity?
"Gain in sound"= Improvement to what I expect to hear. Forgive me for the lack of clarity.

What I'm listening for is, metaphorically, I'll know it when I hear it. I'm still blown away at how different my Martin sounds with the DR Sunbeams.

There is a fullness that an 814ce gives, but I want just a little less dark and round which is why I went for the 614 instead. Perhaps I'll never quite get there. Perhaps the new sound of my Martin is jading my hearing, expecting more of the 614 when it's giving as much as it's got. I dunno. But there could be a set of strings out there there that will milk that last nuance of sound out of it.

Anyone playing Rotosound strings? I tried a set on my Martin over a year ago, and that combination just didn't work, though I know there are Rotosound devotees out there.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-18-2017, 05:54 PM

For what its worth... I have the 614 (no ce), and I have yet to find a string that makes the guitar sound like the Rosewood models.

I love the guitar... it is absolutely my 'go to' guitar, but there are days where I wish I'd gone with the 714/814 instead precisely because of that sound you are talking about.

So I'll keep watching this thread... if someone did find a way to work this miracle I want to know as well!
Old 01-18-2017, 06:21 PM

Instead of going on a goose hunt.....

Try some bone pins in her. You'll be amazed. You could also try a different saddle material.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:00 PM

I have a 614ce and have only used Elixir's on it , it sounds pretty bright as this model does and doesn't get used very often ..looking back I should have gone for a none maple Taylor guitar ... I'm considering selling it and getting a Lowden maybe when I get back home . I also have a 70's D35 and a 80's D28p which I use mostly also for fingerpicking folky type stuff . I've tried elixir's on them and they sound good ..even Martin branded strings too but not as good imho , I'd never heard of Sunbeam strings.....What is it about them you like compared to others and what size do you use ? I
Old 01-18-2017, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Don't know really know what to suggest on a maple body, but I've been real happy with Straight Up Strings on my rosewood GA/GS Taylor bodies.

They don't have quiet the Phosphor Bronze sizzle and bring out the bass. Plus, being low tension, they're easy on the fingers.

They do have a bit of a coating, so string life is good as well.

hth

D
Old 01-18-2017, 10:29 PM

I played a 614 for 20 years. I tried many strings but always came back D'Addario EXP or EJ lights.....
Old 01-18-2017, 11:01 PM

Default Im a bit confused here..

I hesitate to point to the obvious, but you are talking about a Maple/Sitka Taylor..arguably one of the brightest, cut through the mix on lead lines, lacking in bass, guitars Ive ever heard or played.

The lead player in my acoustic trio has been playing one in my ear for over 15 years.
He uses Elixer Nanoweb 12's and we accept it for what it is.
It doesn't have the fullness of my 714CE (rosewood/cedar top).
It doesnt have the fullness of my other buddies 814CE.
Maple doesnt sound like Rosewood.

Ive owned a Martin Jumbo Maple (J65M) since new in 1988, and I dont expect it to sound like a Rosewood guitar, no matter what strings are on it.
Thats why I have others (mahogany, rosewood, walnut, koa) and pull the Maple out occasionally, cuz its not a well balanced, all rounder, do it all guitar. Maple has its particular attributes, it has its own sound.

Im enjoying the comments and suggestions from the posts here, and Im certainly not trying to provoke a showdown, but Id suggest accepting and appreciating the 614 for what it is.

Last edited by woodbox; 01-18-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Does anyone else have any ideas of strings to change? I'm looking to get a bit closer to the Taylor 814ce sound, a bit rounder, warmer, with a tight bass and even balance... but without getting muddy. Thoughts?
Thoughts? I went through the string thing with my 514, plus various saddle materials, and ended up selling it. If it ain't there, it ain't there.

Of course, YMMV.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dut4907 View Post
Instead of going on a goose hunt.....

Try some bone pins in her. You'll be amazed. You could also try a different saddle material.

That sounds like a good way to go. There are a number of different pin materials available. Bone, Buffalo horn, fossilized Walrus jawbone. Thoughts or suggestions? Where is the best place to buy them?

TIA
Old 01-18-2017, 11:50 PM

Seriously doubt you will hear much difference with any type of pins.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion