The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-23-2017, 08:22 PM

Default APLE @ GUITAR CAMP & BG FESTIVAL

I just returned from a guitar camp in Grass Valley Ca. the instructor was Scott Nygard and it was well worth the trip to spend 4 days with Scott
The following 3 days was spent at the Father's Day Festival and saw some great entertainment and pickers for sure.
I took my APLE with me as my Santa Cruz doesn't go out much, and I must say I got a bunch of compliments on the guitar. I was the ONLY CF guitar to be seen, the rest were all traditional wood Martins predominantly with Scott's J45 being one of the exceptions.
I played in jams and at class and it held up to the best and several people wanted to know what kind of wood it was!! LOL sounded great and was impervious to the 100+ temp and dry conditions as they are having a heat wave down there in Ca.
A few weeks prior to going I had filed down 5 frets from 14 up due to a buzz I was chasing, found 1 really high fret and 3 that were just a bit high. I filed and took the buzz out 100% but did not have a crowning file so took it to the Luthiers building and had the frets crowned and he also polished the rest for me,,,,20 bucks! A real bargain I thought.
I can tell you this guitar plays Stellar now, I mean perfect!!! Easiest playing guitar I own.Took a bit of fiddling on my part to get the perfect setup but I am never happy with factory setups regardless so no big deal, once I get them dialed in it's for good.................Jerry
Old 06-24-2017, 09:34 AM

It's awesome that you were able to introduce those Bluegrassers so some carbon, Jerry. Sounds like a good time.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:26 PM

And for those of you that want some close-up time and instruction, Al Petteway will be teaching at the Acoustic Alaska Guitar Camp in late August (www.acousticalaska.com). No affiliation, but I've been to that camp a bunch. Good times! Unfortunately, I cannot go this year.

I wonder if he will bring his personal signature model to Alaska for the camp. That seems perfect for airline travel and camp conditions - everything from sunny 70°F to rainy 45°F.

----------

I've been doing my part introducing bluegrassers to carbon fiber at local jam sessions around Idaho, including yesterday and last weekend at the fiddle festival in Weiser, ID. It's so nice not to have to worry about my guitar when the temps hit the middle and upper 90's, or the high 40's at night.

Last edited by Earl49; 06-24-2017 at 04:57 PM. Reason: speeling errror
Old 06-24-2017, 06:35 PM
Guest 928

I do two Blue Grass festivals in the village park. Generally I am faced with Martins of various age and model. I'm not a great player, and I play nylon, so I am not a dominant figure in the play. But during the breaks, almost everyone wants to fondle my CF. And I let them......
Old 06-24-2017, 08:31 PM

The Luthier a well known builder who did the frets on mine called it a HotRod!! he really liked it, what was so amazing to me was the fact that I didn't meet one person there that knew what it was and none had never seen carbon before!!
Old 06-25-2017, 10:00 AM

The Shorty is a very similar guitar and, like you, I've had fun experiences taking it to family jams. It holds it own very nicely with all the woodies and has great (albeit unique) tone and projection. Very pleased with that guitar!

Last edited by steelvibe; 06-25-2017 at 02:06 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber