The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-20-2016, 05:01 AM

Default IRW color?

I have some Indian Rosewood that has nice grain, but it has a greenish tint about it. It's not sapwood or anything like that. Is there any way to lighten or remove this green tint? Any chemicals like a bleach wash, or ??
Old 07-20-2016, 11:55 AM

Usually applying chemicals, (even stains sometimes), to wood can have unpredictable consequences. Indian Rosewood is not expensive and is widely available. Get some you like and build with that.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeguitar View Post
Usually applying chemicals, (even stains sometimes), to wood can have unpredictable consequences. Indian Rosewood is not expensive and is widely available. Get some you like and build with that.
+1

You might try oxalic acid, but the chances of getting what you want are slim.
et al
Old 07-20-2016, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Did you wet it with anything to see if the green tint goes away? Denatured Alcohol, Naptha or even just water.

Interesting about the green though. I've seen a green tint to some of the areas in Brazilian Rosewood that actually look cool but I can't recall seeing any EIR with a green tint. Purple yes, green, not so much.

Last edited by joe white; 07-20-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe white View Post
Did you wet it with anything to see if the green tint goes away? Denatured Alcohol, Naptha or even just water.

Interesting about the green though. I've seen a green tint to some of the areas in Brazilian Rosewood that actually look cool but I can't recall seeing any EIR with a green tint. Purple yes, green, not so much.
I've seen lavender, eggplant, green, orange and red in Indian rosewood. Funny that you only get the cool colors in "low grade" stuff

I agree with tahoeguitar. Buy a set you like and sell this one to someone who likes green.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:33 PM

I would just stain it with a brown / walnut color of stain. I've done it with rosewood and was very happy with the results. Not all woods look good with just a clear finish, some need a little help and that's where stain comes in. No big deal really.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:34 AM

I thought about staining it. The problem is it is already very dark. Mostly very dark chocolate with nearly black streaks in it. Any attempt to stain it and I might as well use black stain on it. I may do as others have said, and see if I can find a back that has been separated from the matching sides.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:03 AM

The stain should only darken and color the light areas that your not happy with. If you have enough that you can cut a test piece off of and see what it will look like. I would use water or alcohol based aniline dye type stain.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair