The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-01-2024, 03:37 PM

Default Replacement Tuning Machines for Vintage Classical

I am working on a vintage Espana classical guitar from the 1960’s. I believe the model is SL1. It has some bellying on the top, and its tuners are worn out. It probably isn’t worth fixing, but it has been passed around in my family since the 60’s.

For the top, I will try a Bridge Doctor before resorting to more drastic measures. I have used a Bridge Doctor on two other Espanas (both steel string guitars), and it made a massive improvement in resonance. I was surprised that they had MORE resonance.

For the tuning machines, I am looking to replace the originals. They have small diameter metal posts (1/4”?) instead of the typical posts on a classical. The post spacing is 35mm (1 3/8”).

I am not afraid of drilling to enlarge the holes in the headstock, but I am tempted to buy some tuners made for a steel string with a slotted headstock to maintain the post size. Does anyone know of any issues with installing metal tuning posts on a classical guitar? I'm assuming Espana originally did this as a cost-saving measure.

I don’t want to invest too much, but I don’t want to get junky tuners either. The last classical tuners I got were Rubners, and they were lovely, but I don’t want to spend that much this time. Does anyone have any recommendations for 3-on-plate tuners (steel or nylon posts) that won’t break the bank?(less than $50 would be great!)

Thank you for any help pointing me in a good direction on this!
Old 03-01-2024, 04:01 PM

Don't Gotoh make this kind in their Statite range? They tend to be of the non-bank-breaking type even here.

FWIW, many nylon strings don't like being wound so tightly, and will snap prematurely where to come off the peg/roller. If that sounds familiar to you may prefer re-drilling the holes...

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-01-2024, 04:12 PM

I have often seen, and also used a few times, conventional steel string guitar and banjo tuners with approx. 1/4" posts on ukuleles and ukulele banjos with nylon strings. They worked just fine.

The larger diameter posts, typically found on classical guitars do have the advantage of bringing your strings up to pitch quicker.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Don't Gotoh make this kind in their Statite range? They tend to be of the non-bank-breaking type even here.

FWIW, many nylon strings don't like being wound so tightly, and will snap prematurely where to come off the peg/roller. If that sounds familiar to you may prefer re-drilling the holes...
The Statite's are a great suggestion, with a quick search I was able to find some horizontal ones that are cheap. They have the same size metal rollers as my current tuners.

That's a good point you make about the strings, snapping, I hadn't thought about that. So far it hasn't been an issue for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
I have often seen, and also used a few times, conventional steel string guitar and banjo tuners with approx. 1/4" posts on ukuleles and ukulele banjos with nylon strings. They worked just fine.

The larger diameter posts, typically found on classical guitars do have the advantage of bringing your strings up to pitch quicker.
I wondered if it would change the effect of the gear ratio. On a classical, I see the advantage of being able to tension your strings quicker!

Thank you both for your responses. This is good food for thought.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair