The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-27-2024, 03:01 PM

Default Oiling the fretboard

Hello, I've heard that linseed oil on the fretboard of rosewood will make it go black over time. But what about Paraffin oil on rosewood, please?
The paraffin oil is from the pharmacy and the latin name is paraffinum liquidum. There seems to be the important difference between raw and boiled linseed oil.

Last edited by Henning; 02-27-2024 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

In fifty plus years I never have oiled a fretboard on any of my guitars. They are all fine. On the other hand they are all ebony fretboards.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-27-2024, 03:31 PM

I clean my hands before touching any instrument. Still the fretboards tend to collect grime and even start to smell bad after some time. The oil is supposed to protect the fretboard from drying out.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Hej Henning, jag använder ett lack som heter "Regency Gold" -det är gjort för Atique-möbler, så inga otäcka beståndsdelar. 500ml räcker ett år eller mer och jag har 15 gitarrer!

Jag använder den väldigt sparsamt på en knappt fuktig trasa på alla srface m, inklusive greppbräda och brygga.
Lycka till, Ol'Andy i England.

https://regencygold.co.uk/product/th...-regency-gold/

Old 02-27-2024, 06:15 PM

Dunlop sells a Lemon Oil Fretboard Conditioner called "65." I use it whenever I change strings. It seems to work well and do no harm.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 02-27-2024, 06:25 PM

i've never put anything on any of my fretboards in 60 years, don't wash my clean hands before playing and use only a damp cloth when I seldom clean and everythings fine
Old 02-28-2024, 06:47 AM

I've had some of my instruments for 40 and 50 years. I've oiled their fretboard/fingerboards maybe 3 times. I have some vintage instruments from the 1800's and 1930's - they've also been oiled maybe once or twice since I've owned them.

For my other newer instruments they've got the treatment once. None of my instruments have ever exhibited cracking, shrinking or other fretboard/fingerboard problems, even when I've lived in the very dry conditions of the Rocky mountains.

I use Music Nomad F-ONE Oil when/if I feel it's needed. I apply a thin even coat, just enough to cover the board. Let it stand for 10 - 20 minutes, wipe off and hand buff.

Most fretboard products are nothing more than mineral oil, sometimes with lemon scent added.

Oiling too frequently, IMO, invites dirt buildup as dust, dirt and contaminants can stick to the oil.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:44 AM

I'm also in the camp that says fretboards don't need oil.

If I do a refret and resurface I will finish the FB with Howard's Feed Wax just like I do on a custom guitar build. After that it's good to go unless perhaps you severely dry the poor thing out. Then it might need retreatment.
Old 02-28-2024, 03:35 PM

About the most I ever do is to use 'Finger-ease' occasionally...it's main active ingredient is mineral oil, thinned out with whatever the propellant is. Keeps everything clean, with no buildup or softening of the wood; all mine are also ebony, though.

I don't think I'd use linseed in any case...seems that would be too much.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 02-28-2024, 06:35 PM

Default I like to oil fingerboards periodically…

And have used the Dunlop 65, Music Nomad Fingerboard Oil, Dr Duck’s Axe Wax, etc,

Boiled linseed oil dries much more quickly than the raw form which can take many days. Taylor use boiled linseed oil at the factory and suggest this is a one of or at most very occasion task.

The Dunlop 65 has a very low viscosity and dries quickly; I find it better for cleaning prior to final conditioning.

A light coat of fingerboard oil helps even out the colour of the board and can help dirt from soaking into the wood. Mostly thing it just makes for a nicer playing experience and better looking instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair