The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-31-2024, 10:15 PM

Default Cordoba C10 Parlor alternatives

I got a Cordoba C10 cedar/rosewood parlor, which I like enough that I have now sold a few of my other guitars to purchase yet another nylon string parlor guitar. I've come to realize that based on my height and size, the smaller size guitars feel much more comfortable for me to play. I.e., Anything with a lower bout larger than 14.25" or a scale above 640 mm feels a bit too cumbersome.

With that in mind, I'd like to have a second parlor nylon string. I'm willing to spend between $1k-$2,500. I've considered getting the C10 spruce (as an alternative to the cedar I own), but I'm curious if you all agree or have other recommendations.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Tiny Rose Classical

I see that Elderly Instuments has a lovely looking used 7/8th size classical for sale, at not too bad of a price. I know nothing about it but if I was looking for a smaller classical I would sure consider this one. Search for Tiny Rose Classical or just browse the used classical at Elderlys website.
Old 02-03-2024, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Kenny Hill New World Player Series is an solid wood instrument that come in several shorter scale versions. Mine is spruce over rosewood, 628 scale, 50mm nut. They make a 640 scale and something shorter than 628( 615 maybe?).
Anyway, I like mine. It’s very playable and sounds good. I haven’t played a Cordoba parlor so I can’t comment on how they compare.
Good luck with your search,
Tom
Old 02-04-2024, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:16 PM

I've been looking as well:

Hill Player Series - The 615mm and 628MM are recommended by Savage Classical Guitar, which has the best detail about hand size and scale length.

Alhambra 9p Senorita - Great guitars for the price (the 5P sounds thinner than the 9P, FYI). XGuitars has great info on them.

Siccas Guitars - If you don't mind paying taxes on imports, Siccas has many short scale guitars.
Old 02-05-2024, 04:35 PM

Almost the same topic came up here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=681227

IMHO, a 7/8 (or smaller) classical guitar isn't really a parlour guitar, properly speaking; parlours are more an early 19th C. kind of guitar while "the" classical guitar is more of a further-evolved early 20th C interpretation of a late-19th C instrument.

So the question is what you are really looking for. Another small and short scale classical guitar with a somewhat different character? Or a nylon-string version of the parlour guitar from the non-classical acoustic universe?

I'll repeat the suggestions I made in the other thread: Dowina make a very nice (and cute!) parlour they call Bona Vida, also in a nylon-string version ("hybrid"). Different proportions and ladder bracing will give it a very different sound signature, which doesn't mean it'd be useless for classical music..
For 7/8 classical guitars I'd look at Hanika, if they're easy to find in the US. I listened to some very nice sounding recordings of them yesterday.

FWIW a Torres copy should have an appropriate body size for you too, but I'm not aware anyone makes them with a short scale neck and in your budget.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 02-05-2024, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar 4 SoCal View Post
I got a Cordoba C10 cedar/rosewood parlor, which I like enough that I have now sold a few of my other guitars to purchase yet another nylon string parlor guitar. I've come to realize that based on my height and size, the smaller size guitars feel much more comfortable for me to play. I.e., Anything with a lower bout larger than 14.25" or a scale above 640 mm feels a bit too cumbersome.

With that in mind, I'd like to have a second parlor nylon string. I'm willing to spend between $1k-$2,500. I've considered getting the C10 spruce (as an alternative to the cedar I own), but I'm curious if you all agree or have other recommendations.
Perhaps a Cordoba Dolce 7/8?

I have a Cordoba Fusion Orchestra crossover, but I also bought a Cordoba Cadete 3/4 size that I deeply love.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:26 AM

I’ve the C9 7/8 Cordoba, great looking but shallow sustain. Seems Cordobra use high tension strings? Keep trying to duplicate my Old Taylor 64 ce-n parlor.
As you, I’m am seriously looking for a 7/8” and somewhat limited to Guitar Center. I’m looking for ease to play and just like the size.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

I have this same model and woods. I too enjoy it. I am not a classical player. I am using it to learn chord-melody arrangements of old standard jazz tunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
Kenny Hill New World Player Series is an solid wood instrument that come in several shorter scale versions. Mine is spruce over rosewood, 628 scale, 50mm nut. They make a 640 scale and something shorter than 628( 615 maybe?).
Anyway, I like mine. It’s very playable and sounds good. I haven’t played a Cordoba parlor so I can’t comment on how they compare.
Good luck with your search,
Tom

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical