The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-22-2014, 03:52 AM

Default Cordoba GK Studio (acoustic only)

Hello
So I am looking for my first guitar; background on this thread
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...69#post4008069

When I took up the piano and clarinet I found it useful to record my efforts and play them back to get a feel how I was progressing. Miking up a piano is tricky but once you have it leave it. However, the same is not that true for the clarinet as you move about from session to session, so I figure the same will be true for the guitar.

So I have two options I guess for recording a guitar, buy a pickup and attach it to a purely acoustic guitar or get an electro acoustic.

My question is how good is the Cordoba GK Studio as a purely acoustic guitar as it seem to be about 10mm thinner than the pure acoustic I am interested in.

Many thanks Ian
Old 06-22-2014, 08:31 PM

I own a GK Studio, and play it unplugged primarily.

It is a Flamenco style guitar as opposed to a classical, although I use it as a hybrid. I personally think the unplugged tone is quite good but tone is in the ears of the beholder :-)

As a Flamenco, it is designed differently from a classical, and I can't really itemize all the differences. But there are plenty of folks here who can.

All I know is, it is one of my favorite guitars, very low action, bright crisp tone, and good dynamic range. Also sounds good plugged in and the built-in tuner is an added bonus.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 PM

I`m using a Cordoba C5ce to record with,nice guitar,easy to play and the sound is Great. NO Problems and a Great price!!!.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

The GK Studio is an awesome guitar for the money!

I had been gigging a $3-4K Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova (flawless, wonderful guitar), playing my original latin jazz style music, when the wife and I visited Vegas and I happened to pick up a GK Studio Blanca (cypress - flamenco) in the Guitar Center there. It was instant love. I bought it and flew it home. Had a gig the night after I got home. Took the Breedlove as primary and the Cordoba as my new backup. Played the Cordoba for a set to see how it would do, then picked-up the Breedlove. Played it for two songs, put it down, and chose to play the Cordoba for the rest of the night. Ended-up selling the Breedlove and buying three more (higher-end) Cordobas within the next month or so -- GK Pro Blanca, 55FCE, and FCWE Reissue.

Were they superior to the Masterclass Breedlove? No. But they worked much better for what I was doing at the time. So they were plenty worthy, from the most expensive (FCWE) to the least (Studio). I eventually went back to playing electric, and sold all but the FCWE... but I never hesitate to recommend Cordoba guitars. In fact, my local shop is picking up the brand based on my recommendation.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:16 PM

For some reason the Cordoba`s do rock my socks and at 68 that`s a pretty good thing musically. I was shopping for a Classical/Flaminco type guitar and was set on a mid class Yamaha BUT picked up a Cordoba C5ce at GC then it was Love at first strum. Then I plugged it into an acoustic amp there and was really Happy,it sounded like the tunes going through my head {What`s left of it}. So far I`ve done a bunch of recording with it and have Not been disapointed with it at all. This guitar is all I need to do what I want.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical