The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-03-2000, 09:01 AM

Post Taylor 755 12 String

Back in 1990, I visited my local Taylor dealer and fell in love with a rosewood 12 string. I asked the dealer what model it was and she told me it was a 755. I told her there was no such model - Taylor didn't make 700 series rosewood jumbo 12s. She shrugged and said that's what the company sent her, and they would make one for me if I wanted. This was when Taylor only custom-made their instruments, so I bought it with florentine cutaway and no pick guard. I'm still crazy about it.

Anyone know how many of these Taylor has made over the years?
Old 10-03-2000, 10:34 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Talking

Greetings, Beezeman! Welcome to the forum. That sounds like a truly rare guitar. I've never ever heard of a 755 model, much less one with a Florentine cutaway. That sounds like a REAL nice guitar. If you have a digital camera, I'd love to have pictures of that rare guitar for the photo gallery.

Regards,
J.R. Rogers
Administrator
Old 10-03-2000, 11:13 AM

J.R. : Sorry, I don't have a digital camera. The best I could do is send you a jpeg scan. If this is okay with you, let me know. Thanks for a great site. Only problem I have is drooling over my keyboard looking at some of these gorgeous instruments....
Old 10-03-2000, 11:24 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Any kind of picture would be fine. I'd love to see it.

Thanks for the kind words about the site.
J.R.
Old 10-03-2000, 06:14 PM

It's only in the last couple of years that Taylor has made the cedar top standard on the 700 series. Before that they had spruce as a standard. The '97 'Cephas' Taylor Catalog lists a 750 (Dreadnaught 12 string) but no jumbo at all.

Taylor seems to be very fluid about their product line, constantly adjusting it to suit our desires. They also don't advertise every type of guitar they make. Examples include current 410MACE and 314KCE models I've seen at my dealer. They also make their own customs to please themselves, like the Pallet Guitar. (I hesitate to mention the Blond 614ce I saw on the factory tour. It was for one of their regional sales guys and it had luscious figure and what appeared to be flamed Koa for the binding.)

They have a custom shop but don't actively pursue custom business. In an e-mail exchange with them they indicated that truly custom work belonged to one the specialty makers.

I think the 'What'll they think of next' aspect of their effort is part of the fun of owning and shopping Taylor. In the aforementioned 410MACE and 314KCE, they've added a new back inlay. It just screams 'see what we can do with CNC!'

------------------
George Wilson
Old 10-04-2000, 12:01 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hey, George. You're right. Taylor does all sorts of cool stuff experimenting with different woods, etc.. They do small runs of Koa or Maple 400 series guitars, etc. It really keeps a variety of guitars out there in the market. Taylor treats each guitar order individually, building it to the specifications that the dealer ordered it. You can order a 414CE with On Board Blender, No inlays, etc.. Or you could order an 814C with no electronics, etc. I'm not sure but I think you can specify other stuff as well. I know that I was allowed to specify three-piece quilt on both my 614CE and 655CE. I could have chosen 2pc flame if I wanted. Starting next year, you'll be able to specify Brazilian Rosewood on the 800 series. YUMMY!

J.R.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification