The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-14-2016, 12:26 AM

Yeah, access to more learning content than at any point in human history, thousands of people willing to give of their time and energy to share their knowledge, a level of sharing and instruction that could not be imagined even 20 years ago, and most of it totally free.....can be so inconvenient and annoying.

Sometimes the things people complain about bewilders me.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 12-14-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
Yeah, access to more learning content than at any point in human history, thousands of people willing to give of their time and energy to share their knowledge, a level of sharing and instruction that could not be imagined even 20 years ago, and most of it totally free.....can be so inconvenient and annoying.

Sometimes the things people complain about bewilders me.
I don't think you are really understanding the nature of what this thread is all about. It would seem most instructors would like to have an evaluation of how they could teach better. This thread talks about what they can do to become better instructors. Not all instructors are really suited to be instructors, just because they can play a guitar, no matter if they teach for free or not. A good teacher should be able to learn valuable lessons from the ones they teach. After all don't we all want instructors to be the best they can be?

Sometimes the things some people don't want to understand also bewilders me.

If a snake falls into your boat, for Gods sake, don't shoot it.

Last edited by pick me; 12-14-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

I have been planning a video lesson for a while, but don't have anything to upload yet because of the difficulties I have encountered along the way.

When I watch lessons, I take
Note of the things that I find disruptive and then discover how hard it is to not be disruptive when filming myself!

There is both art and skill required to produce an effective lesson.

It does seem that a good number of folks posting how-to videos didn't do any planning, which results in the kind of sloppy production that annoys those of us on mission.

My grandmother , were she alive and listening, would say " if you think you can do better , get to it!".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 05-04-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick me View Post
I like to watch lessons on You Tube, but many times I just can not bear them when the instructor insist on interrupting himself to explain another way or why they do it this or that way between every stroke.
Rant off
You may thank our technological, instant-everything, I-like-you, I-don't-like-you age we live in....People are afraid to say: 'I don't care what you think'.....because the people who are doing the thinking are potential customers.

Neil Hogan of Totally Guitars does this an awful lot and it aggravates the hell out of me.
He and others like him are trying to I guess defuse, pre-empt, whatever you want to call it - negative comments from people saying 'you forgot this' or 'you were wrong'...so they (not only in guitar licks but also story telling) continually back-peddle and cover every tangent of every tangent and by doing so, succeed in showing nothing.

There will always be negative comments, so live with it.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-04-2017 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity, language
Old 05-04-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrider57 View Post
If they drone on for a minute than what to show how to tune the guitar, I move on to another video.
And don't forget the #1 rule for determining whether a guitar video lesson is any good:
If the instructor has a hat on, you can almost always skip to the next video

Because they are either selling their lessons or are one of those 'hey guys 'n gals!' types...pass.

There are VERY few exceptions to this rule. JustinGuitar is one.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Youtube can be a wonderful place to find information and music. However, it can also be a real "sink hole". To me purchasing a course of study that focuses on what I want to learn is far better than spending on time on Youtube videos that may or may not teach that skill, and usually not in the depth to the point that real learning takes place. Clearly there are exceptions. Is always seems to be the case, some folks are simply better at teaching than others, and also there is the problem of matching teaching style to learning style.

With purchased courses, we have the same problem of finding one that is suitable for our specific needs. I find that after reading folks' posts in forums for a while, I can determine who has similar needs/tastes as mine, and then will pay attention when these folks recommend a course.

Many of us tend to collect books and courses over the years, and find that some are better at a given point in time for us than others, but that at another time, another of these courses or books may be more suitable. It all seems to be a moving target.

With so much information available these days, it can be difficult to focus on any one thing, or even to pick the thing that is uniquely "right" for us. I really wish there was some sort of apprenticeship I could find with a true master of my musical interests. That would require deep, long term commitment on the part of both the teacher and student. Our culture does not really promote that sort of thing. So we end up trying our best to pick this and that from all the stuff floating around out there.

Good luck...

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-04-2017, 07:03 PM

Smile

Great thread. I feel the same way. Once I hear the verbal description once or twice that's enough. then i just want to get the good parts.

Sooo, as an old programmer, I built something to do just that. It's not ready yet, but it's right in the realm.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write