The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-25-2017, 02:52 PM

Somewhere in Ontario, near koreatown
Old 08-25-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
Where in Canada are you visiting. We can recommend the best guitar stores, possibly. You may want to avoid rosewood in your guitar, since you are immediately exporting it and CITES may be an issue. Normally a personal instrument can be exempt, but possibly not a brand new one.

Brian
I'm going to be somewhere in Ontario, near koreatown
Old 08-25-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacatedral View Post
I'm going to be somewhere in Ontario, near koreatown
You'll be right in Toronto then - there ought to be a few guitar shops in Toronto - There's The 12th Fret...for example...if Google Maps is correct, it's within a 30 minute drive of Koreatown

Holy Mackerel - Google Map Guitar Shops, Toronto - and Koreatown is smack dab in the middle of a bunch of stores! Dude, you'll be in Canadian Guitar shopping heaven! There's a place nearby called "The Mother of all Guitar Shops"
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 08-25-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
You'll be right in Toronto then - there ought to be a few guitar shops in Toronto - There's The 12th Fret...for example...if Google Maps is correct, it's within a 30 minute drive of Koreatown

Holy Mackerel - Google Map Musical Instrument Stores, Toronto - and Koreatown is smack dab in the middle of a bunch of stores! Dude, you'll be in Canadian Guitar shopping heaven! There's a place nearby called "The Mother of all Guitar Shops"
Yes lots of store choices, don't bother with eBay or other potential rip-offs. A bit outside of town are also some large store with amazing deals such as Tundra Music in Whitby.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:27 PM

Arrow

Okay thanks guys for all the messages, what brand or model (other than the ones I stated at first) would you recommend? Again the price range is up to 750 canadian dollars or 600 american dollars.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:17 PM

Go and visit Long & McQuade, Steve's Music, Cosmo Music and if you can get to Hamilton there is a nice acoustic store called the Acoustic Room.

I also second the opinion to stay away from the Taylor mini and such guitars. You can do better than that with your budget. In addition to the Seagull and Simon & Patrick guitars by Godin, try out some Alvarez guitars if you come across any plus Guitar and Larivee. They make so very good guitars. And don't discount the Yamaha A.R.E. guitars. Many members here find them rather awesome.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:48 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Go and visit Long & McQuade, Steve's Music, Cosmo Music and if you can get to Hamilton there is a nice acoustic store called the Acoustic Room.

I also second the opinion to stay away from the Taylor mini and such guitars. You can do better than that with your budget. In addition to the Seagull and Simon & Patrick guitars by Godin, try out some Alvarez guitars if you come across any plus Guitar and Larivee. They make so very good guitars. And don't discount the Yamaha A.R.E. guitars. Many members here find them rather awesome.
I visited the Seagull website, turns out the coastline folk models (which where suggested to me) are smaller, but the nut width is the same as an average guitar (1 7'' and 1 8'') I'm looking for kind of "smaller but no so small" guitar, just a little more than the average guitar, the Taylor Mini GS seems to be that kind of guitar (bigger than Baby or Little models like Little Martin).

Is there a big difference between that Taylor and Seagulls? Apart from the price.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:52 PM

Perhaps you could swing a deal on a Yamaha all solid wood guitar from a local canadian dealer the yamaha ll6are are around $700 new. Perhaps with cash you could weasel them down a bit. I know I would try.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:55 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjudoman View Post
Perhaps you could swing a deal on a Yamaha all solid wood guitar from a local canadian dealer the yamaha ll6are are around $700 new. Perhaps with cash you could weasel them down a bit. I know I would try.
Yeah sound reasonably.

So, in case I was going for Taylor GS Mini, is it better to buy the electro-acoustic model or buy the normal model and then the GS-GO (the pick-up soundhole for the model)?
Old 08-25-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I visited the Seagull website, turns out the coastline folk models (which where suggested to me) are smaller, but the nut width is the same as an average guitar (1 7'' and 1 8'') I'm looking for kind of "smaller but no so small" guitar, just a little more than the average guitar, the Taylor Mini GS seems to be that kind of guitar (bigger than Baby or Little models like Little Martin).

Is there a big difference between that Taylor and Seagulls? Apart from the price.
I happen to like the Taylor Minis a lot, but they're not for everyone and I must admit, they're not ideal for fingerpicking. Though I play them often and only play fingerstyle, I'd be happier with them if they had a wider neck.

If I were you, I'd wait to see and play these guitars in person - and don't go looking with any specific make or model of guitar in mind based on what you've seen or read from other people on the internet - just go with your basic desires: smaller, easy to play, good sound...you might find something totally unexpected.
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Kolohe concert ukulele
Old 08-25-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
So, in case I was going for Taylor GS Mini, is it better to buy the electro-acoustic model or buy the normal model and then the GS-GO (the pick-up soundhole for the model)?
The electro models are more expensive up front - and some people like the electronics on them better than the ES-GO system you'd add at a later date. I really don't have an opinion - I don't use the electronics very much at all.
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Kolohe concert ukulele
Old 08-25-2017, 07:48 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
I happen to like the Taylor Minis a lot, but they're not for everyone and I must admit, they're not ideal for fingerpicking. Though I play them often and only play fingerstyle, I'd be happier with them if they had a wider neck.

If I were you, I'd wait to see and play these guitars in person - and don't go looking with any specific make or model of guitar in mind based on what you've seen or read from other people on the internet - just go with your basic desires: smaller, easy to play, good sound...you might find something totally unexpected.
I don't understand why, I mean, I think I my hands are somewhat smaller (for reference, in a grand piano the most I can reach is an interval of 9th -i.e. from C3 to D4- maximum, maybe if I cheat by only playing the bottom tip of the keys, a 10th interval) so why not buying a guitar a little smaller (but not that much)?
Of course, I'm going to go to a couple of stores and then select the more appropiate.

I notice you have many different types of Mini GS, including Spruce and KOA. May I ask why you bought both? Is there a sustancial difference between both?
Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:

To my ears there is, although you have a quite a few models to compare them to. I think the Taylor is more "bright" or trebly than the Seagulls.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:07 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
Hola Lacatedral! Welcome to the forum - nice to see an Argentine here. Mi mujer es una porteńa.

I would echo many of the other comments here - keep your mind open on particular brand, but the ones recommended are fine. However, visit some guitar shops, and in particular, look at their used inventory - you should be able to get a better guitar for your money.

Now, I have a question for you, assuming you are from Buenos Aires (which may not be true). We own an apartment in Palermo (in Las Cańitas neighborhood) that we will use in retirement (part time here; part time in Buenos Aires). I've been trying to find some decent guitar stores in Buenos Aires, preferably near my neighborhood - but really haven't found a good one yet. Any recommendations? I don't plan on buying any guitars there (although I understand there are some good luthiers in Argentina - however they seem to be focused more on classical guitars) - but looking for a place to pick up strings, accessories, etc.

Steve
Hi Steve, Palermo is such a nice place, one of the most known (maybe you already knew it) is Antigua Casa Nuńez which is located more in the downtown zone, then on Belgrano-Palermo there's one place I fond Musical House Cabildo. Avoid FAmusic.

But as you stated, places like Antigua Casa Nuńez and almost all luthiers focus on classical guitar. Acoustic guitar is not very popular here. Matter of fact, I study in a conservatoire here in Buenos Aires and been asking a lot of professors and searching everywhere for a fingerstyle teacher (on acoustic), even on argentine forums and still haven't found. Everyone focuses either on electrical or classical.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I don't understand why, I mean, I think I my hands are somewhat smaller (for reference, in a grand piano the most I can reach is an interval of 9th -i.e. from C3 to D4- maximum, maybe if I cheat by only playing the bottom tip of the keys, a 10th interval) so why not buying a guitar a little smaller (but not that much)?
Of course, I'm going to go to a couple of stores and then select the more appropiate.
You might not notice any difficulties playing the GS Mini - but playing them forces me to play differently than I play some of my other guitars.

On the GS Mini, the nut is narrower than most of my other guitars and the scale length of the guitar is smaller than a full sized guitar so, for example, it's difficult for me to play an A in the first position without accidentally muting the 1st and 5th strings because my fingers don't fit in the space available.

But the body size, in my opinion, is PERFECT

Quote:
I notice you have many different types of Mini GS, including Spruce and KOA. May I ask why you bought both? Is there a sustancial difference between both?
There is quite a difference between all three of my Minis - I have to say the spruce over rosewood has the loudest and fullest tone. The koa has a softer warmer and more focused tone, and the mahogany is more like the koa, but dry sounding. I bought all three because I went into stores at different times and fell in love with each one of them. I admit I have too many though - and might be selling some off in the future.
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Kolohe concert ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, buy, fingerstyle, new guitar