The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-12-2017, 04:57 PM

Default Martin D-28 John Prine

Started this ages ago and my back log finally caught up...

“With twinkling trebles, warm clear-cut mids, and a succulent bass, its distinctive fundamental notes front a subtly complex harmonic array, filled with delightfully sweet overtones and a roomy translucent undertone awash with whispery, ethereal hues. In other words, the John Prine signature model is an absolute charmer.”

My Martin D-28 John Prine signature model review

http://wp.me/P3p2sf-2ne

Old 07-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Are we talking about a bottle of wine or a guitar?
Old 07-12-2017, 06:03 PM

I want one but they are sold out. Sounds great.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:32 PM

Who is sold out? Not GC. Did you call Jon @ MFG, LA Guitar Sales....? ...
Old 07-12-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMansGuitar View Post
“With twinkling trebles, warm clear-cut mids, and a succulent bass, its distinctive fundamental notes front a subtly complex harmonic array, filled with delightfully sweet overtones and a roomy translucent undertone awash with whispery, ethereal hues. In other words, the John Prine signature model is an absolute charmer.”
Man, sounds like exactly what you said about the D-18 Authentic, or was it the Ed Sheeran model?

With online thesauruses these days, the hyperbole being used in guitar reviews is becoming more and more extravagant.

For once, I just want to see a review that lists the pros and cons of a guitar, compares it with other similar guitars in the price range and straight up states if it's a decent guitar for the money, rather than a huge wave of astonishing praise and awe like a modern worship song.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:39 PM

Normally I would reply to such things. But I laughed so hard I just wanted to thank you. It was a nice stress reliever as I am getting things ready to shoot the new Martins tomorrow.

It reminded me of the guy on the old AG forum who asked why can't guitar reviews just say if a guitar is bright or warm, as if a metaphor of light and a metaphor of heat were somehow opposite ends of the same scale and that what he considers bright or warm would be the same as someone else's interpretation.

Anyway, it seems you either didn't read my review of the D-18 Authentic, or you have very poor reading retention. And I would have certainly said nothing like this about one of the Ed Sheerans

Here is what someone just said a few minutes ago by email, who actually knows what he is talking about, having bought one of the very first John Prine models:

"What a great review and so spot on about the sound of this guitar...very big, open and harmonically spacial in its projection. If that makes any sense. And spot on re it's level of scalloping of its braces."

"I really bought this guitar, not just because I'm a big prine fan, but because of that Adirondack bracing underneath Engleman spruce combined with the Madagascar. With a normal location x and scalloped bracing I just thought it could be a winning combination and I think it turned out to be one. I have a R Taylor with scalloped adirondack bracing under engelmann and it's a superb sounding guitar so was sold on that."
Old 07-12-2017, 11:39 PM

Or you could get a 1968 D-28, which it what he played for years.
1976 Martin 000-18
1989 Martin 000-16M
2015 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom
2017 Gibson J-35
1971 Alvarez K. Yairi Classical
1970 Lou J Mancuso nylon string hybrid
Harmony Sovereign H1260
30's MayBell Model 6
Nash MW-500
1998 Yamaha LS-10
2003 Tacoma EKK9

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d-28, john prine, martin, namm