The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

I have a couple of Elliotts. I find the wrap around saddle version is superior by far. Regardless of the guitar neck shape, it tightens much more naturally, without working it and fiddling it into place.

I am in Canada and I did get hit with high shipping costs on this item. $32.00 as I recall plus taxes - and that was yeas ago. I remember it was outlandish. But within the U.S. that may not be an issue.

I do like the cappos.

I also have the other - the fatter one pictured above for $50 also. The bar is a little wider - the section where it makes contact. I have never truly tested the resulting tonal differences from a technical perspective, but I don't care for it as much. The Elliot has a narrower metal strip, as opposed to the slightly wider strip. I prefer the Elliots.

Stuart
Old 04-18-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
I have a couple of Elliotts. I find the wrap around saddle version is superior by far. Regardless of the guitar neck shape, it tightens much more naturally, without working it and fiddling it into place...
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the input. Could you clarify what you mean by "the wrap around saddle version"? Are you talking about a specific model from Elliott, or their capos in general against other styles?

Thanks.

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 04-18-2015, 10:33 AM

I also pondered/obsessed about getting one for over 6 months. Finally took the plunge and got the original Elliott. I could not be happier - worth every penny, especially it simply does not bend the string out of tune like most capos.

However, it is a luxury item, and my above comment does not suggest other capos are not fine for most folks, including me. But this a luxury item that does deliver performance, and it's not just an expensive bragger's tool. Now that I have one, I cannot see how a serious bluegrasser or fingerstylist who uses capos extensively could not have one of these.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalowdwn1 View Post
I also pondered/obsessed about getting one for over 6 months. Finally took the plunge and got the original Elliott. I could not be happier - worth every penny, especially it simply does not bend the string out of tune like most capos.

However, it is a luxury item, and my above comment does not suggest other capos are not fine for most folks, including me. But this a luxury item that does deliver performance, and it's not just an expensive bragger's tool. Now that I have one, I cannot see how a serious bluegrasser or fingerstylist who uses capos extensively could not have one of these.
The McKinney designed yoke-and-screw capo (now licensed to Phill Elliott) was in fact first popularized by bluegrassers back in the mid 1970's. For the discerning player, they were a cut above most of the capos available at that time: they minimized string stretching and intonation.

Before he got his first McKinney, Tony Rice used a circa 1900 yoke/screw capo.

Unlike most other capos, the McKinney style sits well directly on the fret just behind center. Not only does this minimize intonation, it also minimizes fret wear.

Rice, Rowan, Tyminski:

Old 04-18-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
There's also the limited edition Tony Rice capo, which might be my favorite. It's even more expensive, but a sizable portion of the cost is donated to help cover TR's medical expenses.
Hey Todd, I'm not looking to kick up a dust storm or anything, but are you privy to information about the arrangement between Elliott and Rice? You mention that money is "donated" to Rice when capos bearing his name are sold. I'm curious why you put it that way. Nike doesn't donate money to Tiger Woods when they use his name--he gets paid for the use of his name and likeness. I would assume the same holds for Tony Rice--earned money is not a donation. Now, if the Elliott's are going above and beyond any contracted royalty per sale and actually donating cash to Tony, that's awesome!
Old 04-18-2015, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaleblue View Post
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the input. Could you clarify what you mean by "the wrap around saddle version"? Are you talking about a specific model from Elliott, or their capos in general against other styles?

Thanks.
It may just be called the Elliot. Where the sides of the saddle wrap around the sections of the capo that go around the sides of the guitar. I don't know how to describe it, but link is below.

Stuart

http://www.elliottcapo.com/product/elliott-guitar-capo/
Old 04-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljohn View Post
Hey Todd, I'm not looking to kick up a dust storm or anything, but are you privy to information about the arrangement between Elliott and Rice? You mention that money is "donated" to Rice when capos bearing his name are sold. I'm curious why you put it that way. Nike doesn't donate money to Tiger Woods when they use his name--he gets paid for the use of his name and likeness. I would assume the same holds for Tony Rice--earned money is not a donation. Now, if the Elliott's are going above and beyond any contracted royalty per sale and actually donating cash to Tony, that's awesome!
I don't know that "donated" is the correct legal term, but that is more or less how it was explained to me. Royalties or endorsement fees would normally be taxable income, and they may be here too. I didn't ask. Where this differs from the typical situation is that the effort is being made in order to cover medical expenses, so there may be some mechanism to make this something other than taxable income. Again, I just don't know. I do know enough of the people involved to know that this is a significant effort to help Tony Rice, who hasn't been well enough to perform for some time.

It's also a limited edition of 1951 serial numbered units. If you see anyone using #1313, it's either me or the guy stole my capo!
Old 04-18-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaleblue View Post
Reading the G7 thread someone mentioned the McKinney-Elliott capo as the ultimate. I had a look at their website and there appear to be a few choices.

http://www.elliottcapo.com/product-c...y/guitar-capo/

Has anyone compared them - what are their pros and cons?

I'd primarily want to use it on my 1 11/16" nut D-28, but also have a 1 3/4" nut 512 that I guess it would be silly to not also take into account.

One of the really really good flatpickers in my bluegrass group never uses a capo. I am trying to emulate that thinking. It's a kneejerk reaction in the group when someone says "this is in A!" to capo on the 2nd fret, but I definitely feel like it just sets you up to play the usual cliches. I really like the idea of going capo-less, although it'll take a while to be good.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljohn View Post
I first learned of Phill's TR Capo project last fall from John Lawless' story in Bluegrass Today in which he states "The Rice signature capo sells for $235, with a substantial portion of the selling price going to Tony." I was surprised that I could see no mention of this on Phill's site.

Rice has endorsed a number of products throughout the years, including Ovation guitars, Bill Stokes' version of the McKinney Capo in the 1990's, D'Aquisto nickel strings, and Martin's current medium Monel strings, but the Elliott/TR capo doesn't seem to be such a business arrangement.

Along with Dana Bourgeois' high-bid guitar auction that raised $10,000 and numerous benefit concerts arranged by friends of Tony, the Elliott capo looks like a direct donation of proceeds to help with Tony's medical bills.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Elliot Elites are the best IMO. Phill's workmanship is excellent. I think the capos are reasonably priced given the amount of time it must take him to handmake them, his level of experience and talent. They are not bulky and do not pull the strings out of tune. I have never regreted purchasing mine and use them daily.

YMMV, but I doubt it.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
My experience with the Elliotts, compared to the Paige is similar to Todd's.

The Paige is not in the same league, but then it shouldn't be expected to compete with handmade precision machinery.

I also bought one of the Tony Rice Elliott's as a show of support for Tony.

Here it is with the Hybrid which my Darlin' MaryAnn gave me for xmas a few years ago.

Nice looking guitar, Dave. It looks like a Taylor, but how did you get them to switch the pickguard and bridge designs? Is it a custom BYO Taylor? Those guys are amazing!

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epaul View Post
Nice looking guitar, Dave. It looks like a Taylor, but how did you get them to switch the pickguard and bridge designs? Is it a custom BYO Taylor? Those guys are amazing!
What is this "Taylor" thing you speak of?

(That's the Adirondack top on my Custom Shop Adi over Amazon rosewood HD-28V... Martin HD-28V! Greven pickguard, Colossi ivory red eye pins.)

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
That's the Adirondack top on my Custom Shop Adi over Amazon rosewood HD-28V
Okay, so a Taylor knockoff.

Last edited by Gregg Carter; 04-19-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
It may just be called the Elliot. Where the sides of the saddle wrap around the sections of the capo that go around the sides of the guitar. I don't know how to describe it, but link is below.

Stuart

http://www.elliottcapo.com/product/elliott-guitar-capo/
Ah, thanks Stuart. I'll have to do some more research, I just assumed the "original" design was best, but now you've got me thinking.

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 04-19-2015, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLiver View Post
One of the really really good flatpickers in my bluegrass group never uses a capo. I am trying to emulate that thinking. It's a kneejerk reaction in the group when someone says "this is in A!" to capo on the 2nd fret, but I definitely feel like it just sets you up to play the usual cliches. I really like the idea of going capo-less, although it'll take a while to be good.
I agree with you that learning enough theory and getting to know the fretboard should not be replaced by the use of a capo. However, if you're into covers there are some songs that necessitate the use of a capo to sound right.

Funilly enough, my friend/teacher has given me homework to learn the notes on the E and A strings as a first foray into getting to know my fretboard, so timely input to make sure I don't fall into bad habits, thanks!

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion