The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 PM

Default Need Info and/or opinions please

Hi All
I just registered with ag forum after reading several very interesting and informative posts. Here is where I need some info or advice.
I have played (although not very well) a series of cheap guitars all my life. I have always wanted a Martin. I'm sure there are better/cheaper ones out there, its just that I have always wanted to own one. I played one that belonged to a friend when I was in college (many years ago) and it had nylon strings. All my guitars have had nylon strings. I went to a Guitar Center a few days ago and all the Martins had steel strings.
I don't want steel - I like the sound of nylon. The question is: If I get a Martin (which I definitely am going to), can I put nylon strings on it - or is that like wearing sneakers with a Tux.
Advice and info please. All opinions are welcome.

Thanks
Shrink
Old 04-07-2010, 08:28 PM

Welcome.

You won't want to put nylon strings on a guitar made for steel. If you want a Martin nylon, look for a used 00-16C or N-20. These were designed for nylon.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:03 PM

Or more forcefully, forget about the brand name. If it was possible go into the acoustic room with a blindfold on and don't feel the headstock for a clue about the name of a guitar. Martin is not known as a nylon builder his reputation is for steel strings.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink2010 View Post
- or is that like wearing sneakers with a Tux.
Worse than that.......more like wearing swim fins to a track meet. Not only will it look bad, but your performance will suffer horribly.

Steel string guitars are built entirely different from their nylon counterparts. Everything about a steel sting is built more heavily to withstand the pressurs applied by the steel strings; in fact a steel string guitar (like a Martin) depends on the heavier pull of the steel strings to produce the sound.

Martin has made a few nylon string guitars from time to time, as noted in an earlier post, but you may have to hunt for a used one. Maybe if you tell us a little more about yourself and what type of music you plan to play, we can help point you to some alternatives that would be good to try on for size (back to the sneaker/swim fins analogies)

Oh, and lest I forget,...........welcome to the forum; there are some nice folks around here.

Gary
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 AM

Welcome to the Forum!

I don't think Martin makes nylon string guitars anymore so a used one may be the only option. Here is one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/C-F-Martin-N20-G...ht_5922wt_1167

Putting nylon strings on a steel-string guitar makes the sound like rubber bands.

If you give us a price range we can recommend some other brands to consider.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:02 AM

If you are looking at a mid-priced Martin, then you will be in the range of some very nice nylon classical/fusion guitars. While you will get a variety of responses on what people like, I can recommend the Antonio Picado 49, Kenny Hill Estudio line, and Paco Marin PM395. If you need to plug in, the Kenny Hills for sure. The Picado and Marin are more traditional classical nylon instruments.

I would also suggest giving Michael at The Classical Guitar Store in Philly a call. Oh, and Gryphon Stringed Instruments has also been very helpful to me. They can match you up with exactly what you're looking for. Good luck!

'10 Bourgeois Custom OMC, '90-ish Lowden F22, '09 Simon & Patrick Folk Cutaway, '09 Recording King RO-06, '10 Paco Marin PM 395
'92 Epiphone Les Paul, '11 Grosh ElectraJet
Old 04-08-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

I don't think Martin makes nylon string guitars anymore so a used one may be the only option. Here is one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/C-F-Martin-N20-G...ht_5922wt_1167

Putting nylon strings on a steel-string guitar makes the sound like rubber bands.

If you give us a price range we can recommend some other brands to consider.
That looks like a nice one too. Willie Nelson's Trigger is a N20 I believe

For what it's worth, I made a makeshift nylon stringer out of one of my dread steel strings. I had to use extra hard tension strings, and adjust the truss rod quite a bit to keep it from buzzing alot. The end results - though it is coming through in a pinch, it suffers from what a guitar made for nylon strings can do. The top bracing on a nylon string guitar is lighter and lets the top vibrate much more freely for the lower tension nylon strings. A steel string guitar has a heavier bracing to accomodate for the higher tension steel strings, and when using nylon strings the top doesn't vibrate as freely. I am currently in the market for a nylon string guitar myself as I like the sound better than steel strings. And, welcome to the forums!!

Last edited by bfloyd6969; 04-08-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:59 AM

Martin does not have any current nylon models in their lineup. However, you might be able to special order one. The most recent were the 000c-16srne (rosewood) & 000c-16sgtne (mahogany). These had cutaways, cedar tops, and fishman electronics. They sound great. Not too many were made but they do come up from time to time on ebay, craigslist, and the UMGF, and here.

Martin used to make a standard classical the N-20 (rosewood) & N-10 (mahogany), and the Humphrey & Sting models. These can be found on ebay, Gryphon, Gruhns Guitars, Elderly Instruments, UMGF, & craigslist.

From these same places, you can come across a Martin folk nylon string like the 00-18g, 00-18c, 00-16c, 00-28c, & 00-28g.

If you place a wtb martin nylon guitar ad on the UMGF, state your budget, you will find what you are looking for.

Those Martin Nylons sound good fingerpicked and sound great flatpicked too.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
Martin does not have any current nylon models in their lineup. However, you might be able to special order one. The most recent were the 000c-16srne (rosewood) & 000c-16sgtne (mahogany). These had cutaways, cedar tops, and fishman electronics. They sound great. Not too many were made but they do come up from time to time on ebay, craigslist, and the UMGF, and here.

Martin used to make a standard classical the N-20 (rosewood) & N-10 (mahogany), and the Humphrey & Sting models. These can be found on ebay, Gryphon, Gruhns Guitars, Elderly Instruments, UMGF, & craigslist.

From these same places, you can come across a Martin folk nylon string like the 00-18g, 00-18c, 00-16c, 00-28c, & 00-28g.

If you place a wtb martin nylon guitar ad on the UMGF, state your budget, you will find what you are looking for.

Those Martin Nylons sound good fingerpicked and sound great flatpicked too.
I keep hearing about these older Martin 00 nylon stringers coming up for these "flatpick" applications - but how about the more recent Martin/Humphrey designs (also now discontinued)? I'm thinking these were more geared toward classical than folk style music???? I remember playing one at a local music shop years ago and really liked the elevated fingerboard design...
Old 04-09-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
I keep hearing about these older Martin 00 nylon stringers coming up for these "flatpick" applications - but how about the more recent Martin/Humphrey designs (also now discontinued)? I'm thinking these were more geared toward classical than folk style music???? I remember playing one at a local music shop years ago and really liked the elevated fingerboard design...
Most of the classical in-the-know crowd consider the Martin/Humphrey guitars disappointing when compared to "real" Thomas Humphrey classicals. Apparently there were some issues with bridges coming unglued. The Martin/Humphrey classicals were a production line guitar and I think a lot of folks were disappointed hoping they were getting a "real" Thomas Humphrey guitar...apples and oranges. Not bad guitars for the designated price point, but nowhere near the same quality as an actual Humphrey.

Last edited by Dogsnax; 04-09-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
Most of the classical in-the-know crowd consider the Martin/Humphrey guitars disappointing when compared to "real" Thomas Humphrey classicals. Apparently there were some issues with bridges coming unglued. The Martin/Humphrey classicals were a production line guitar and I think a lot of folks were disappointed hoping they were getting a "real" Thomas Humphrey guitar...apples and oranges. Not bad guitars for the designated price point, but nowhere near the same quality as an actual Humphrey.
What percentage of bridges came unglued? I find it odd that a company having no problem with bridges for steel string guitars, which sustain much higher levels of tension. would have issues with the bridges of their comparatively low-tension nylon-string guitars.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
What percentage of bridges came unglued? I find it odd that a company having no problem with bridges for steel string guitars, which sustain much higher levels of tension. would have issues with the bridges of their comparatively low-tension nylon-string guitars.
Golly gee whiz Herb...I don't have the exact percentages at my fingertips.

My scuttlebutt comes from another forum discussion that included input from a couple of classical guitar luthiers/techs who noted the bridge glue problem. Per your custom, please take my post with a giant grain of salt.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Fred

Last edited by Dogsnax; 04-09-2010 at 02:11 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical