The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-25-2010, 08:05 PM

Default Córdoba C9 opinions?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Cordoba or more specifically the C9. I have been getting the classical itch and this might be one. I have no way of playing one of these guitars because of my area, so I may be buying blind. The mid range classical market is very new to me so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The review from acoustic guitar magazine helped sell me as well!

http://www.acousticguitar.com/articl...rticleid=24789
Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 PM

I've played a few Cordoba's, but not the C9 specifically.

Not a bad guitar line, it's hard to tell sometimes with the state of the strings in the stores and such, but I didn't fall in love, put it that way.

Based on my somewhat limited experience, I'd recommend an Almansa, an Alhambra, a Raimundo if you can find one, or a Ramirez. Back in the day when I bought my Raimundo, I played it against the Alhambra 5p. Both were excellent. I went home with the Raimundo mostly because the tone was comparable and I preferred it's looks.

Especially if you're flying blind, I'd work with a store with a good reputation. We did purchase our Almansa for my wife sight unseen from the Classical Guitar Shop, and they were great, although that was some years ago.

You will notice that they carry a number of the brands that your article mentioned.

Hope this helps,

-brian

http://www.classicalguitarshop.com/
Old 03-26-2010, 09:46 AM

I recently played both a new Cordoba C9 (cedar) and a Cordoba C10 (spruce). Both were very nice. The C10 was especially nice. Both had super-clean build quality and (IMO) overachieved for their price points. I talked to Kenny Hill about the C10, as he's one of the principals for that guitar's design/development, and he's very pleased with them.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 AM

Though they come from the same factory that Kenny Hill commissions for his New World series, these instruments commissioned by Cordoba can vary quite a lot. If you buy one, make sure you're covered by a return policy.

I played an tested a C10 (all solid, spruce/rosewood) against my Kenny Hill Estudio 45S (solid Engelmann top, laminated bubinga B/S). Even accounting for the tightness of a new spruce-topped guitar, my Estudio 45S was the better instrument. It was very disappointing. I returned the C10 and got my money back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical