The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-01-2016, 03:30 PM

Default Good beginner/intermediate-priced guitar-player-friendly mandolin?

I'm looking to branch out to a few new instruments and add some different sounds and textures to songs and recordings. Mandolin is one that I'm interested in. I have a really really cheap Rogue mandolin that my wife got me to learn on, but it doesn't hold tune very well, doesn't sound particularly great, and just isn't a very inspiring instrument to pick up.

I'm looking for a mandolin that would be priced in the "beginner/intermediate player" sort of range. I'm thinking anywhere from $200-$600 or so. Much more and I start to think about putting that money towards a guitar. I'm also interested in a radiused fretboard and/or a wide nut, though they're nice-to-haves and not deal breakers. Both seem hard to find on cheaper mandolins. I like the look of the F-style mandolins but realize there's value in the A-style models. Open to either. I think I prefer arched to flat construction but would consider a flat-top model that checked a lot of boxes.

I've played a friend's Weber (I think an older, cheaper model of theirs) and really liked the feel of it -- seems that will be a ways out of my price range though. Played a couple 300 series Eastman models in a shop once and thought they were nice. Also recently picked up a Loar LM-520 in a Guitar Center and thought it looked and felt really nice, unfortunately I didn't have time to tune it for them. Seemed like a cool F-style for the price though. Interested in the Breedlove "crossover" models as they have the wide nut and the fretboard radius. Can't decide about the modern design cues -- part of me likes it, part of me wants something traditional.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll check a mandolin forum or two, but I thought I'd ask here given the fact that I'm first and foremost a guitar player and looking for the easiest transition from that form factor that won't require me to spend four figures.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-2016, 12:34 PM

I play mostly mandolin, so I spend a lot of time over at mandolincafe (www.mandolincafe.com). It is a very well moderated forum with lots of helpful people. I highly recommend spending some time reading the newer threads about beginner instruments.

I suspect the reason that you have received no responses is that you know what you want, but what you want doesn't really exist in mandolins in your price range (the Breedlove Crossover is probably closest). The first thing one must understand is that mandolins are much more expensive than guitars of comparable quality. I can buy an entirely adequate bluegrass guitar for $500. I can't get a good bluegrass mandolin for the same price.

That does not, however, mean that you cannot get a good mandolin for $500. The newer Chinese-made Kentucky KM-150 is a solid (no pun intended) beginner mandolin. as is the Eastman 305, and if you have to have an F body style, the Eastman 315.

The thing about both Eastman and Kentucky is that their entry level instruments are pretty good, and their mid-tier instruments aren't really any better. There is really no reason to buy a Kentucky 500-700 or a mid range Eastman. I would rather buy an entry level Km 150 or 305 and upgrade the stock tuners and tailpiece.

The Kentucky KM 900 and higher, the so-called "Master Model" instruments, are very good mandolins. A used KM 950 would be a great mandolin for you. It has larger frets and a radiused fretboard, but "only" a 1 1/8" nut (which is wider than some). They can be found used just a little above your stated budget.

The other route you can go is a flat top. You mention in the OP that you aren't really interested in a flat top. That is unfortunate because unless you play bluegrass, a Mid Missouri/Big Muddy (same company, different operating name) could be a lifetime mandolin, and you can find one used, often with a wide nut, for under $500.

This is important because the wide nut is the hardest of your criteria to fill at your price point. Weber makes lots of mandolins with wide nuts, but they run in the low 4 figures.

So, if you need a carved top mandolin with a radiused fretboard and wide nut under $600, the Breedlove is pretty much the only option. You might be able to find an old, used Breedlove OF, but those are usually more like $800-$900.

You can find a Mid Mo/Big Muddy with a wide nut, but it won't have jumbo frets or radius to the fretboard.

Finally, IMO, the best option among carved tops would be a used KM 950. It doesn't have a very wide nut, but it would, I think, be the best mandolin of the ones I have listed, and if you got one for $800 or so, you could easily re-sell it for the same without losing much/any money if you upgrade or decide mandolin isn't for you.

The same can be said for the Mid Mo/Big Muddy. It is a very good instrument that won't take a depreciation hit if you re-sell it.

Last edited by posternutbag; 02-02-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:32 PM

If I was looking for an entry level mando I'd head to Peter's store and pick up a beavertail:

http://sawchyn.com/index.php/mandolins/beaver-tails

Old 02-02-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
I play mostly mandolin, so I spend a lot of time over at mandolincafe (www.mandolincafe.com). It is a very well moderated forum with lots of helpful people. I highly recommend spending some time reading the newer threads about beginner instruments.

I suspect the reason that you have received no responses is that you know what you want, but what you want doesn't really exist in mandolins in your price range (the Breedlove Crossover is probably closest). The first thing one must understand is that mandolins are much more expensive than guitars of comparable quality. I can buy an entirely adequate bluegrass guitar for $500. I can't get a good bluegrass mandolin for the same price.

That does not, however, mean that you cannot get a good mandolin for $500. The newer Chinese-made Kentucky KM-150 is a solid (no pun intended) beginner mandolin. as is the Eastman 305, and if you have to have an F body style, the Eastman 315.

The thing about both Eastman and Kentucky is that their entry level instruments are pretty good, and their mid-tier instruments aren't really any better. There is really no reason to buy a Kentucky 500-700 or a mid range Eastman. I would rather buy an entry level Km 150 or 305 and upgrade the stock tuners and tailpiece.

The Kentucky KM 900 and higher, the so-called "Master Model" instruments, are very good mandolins. A used KM 950 would be a great mandolin for you. It has larger frets and a radiused fretboard, but "only" a 1 1/8" nut (which is wider than some). They can be found used just a little above your stated budget.

The other route you can go is a flat top. You mention in the OP that you aren't really interested in a flat top. That is unfortunate because unless you play bluegrass, a Mid Missouri/Big Muddy (same company, different operating name) could be a lifetime mandolin, and you can find one used, often with a wide nut, for under $500.

This is important because the wide nut is the hardest of your criteria to fill at your price point. Weber makes lots of mandolins with wide nuts, but they run in the low 4 figures.

So, if you need a carved top mandolin with a radiused fretboard and wide nut under $600, the Breedlove is pretty much the only option. You might be able to find an old, used Breedlove OF, but those are usually more like $800-$900.

You can find a Mid Mo/Big Muddy with a wide nut, but it won't have jumbo frets or radius to the fretboard.

Finally, IMO, the best option among carved tops would be a used KM 950. It doesn't have a very wide nut, but it would, I think, be the best mandolin of the ones I have listed, and if you got one for $800 or so, you could easily re-sell it for the same without losing much/any money if you upgrade or decide mandolin isn't for you.

The same can be said for the Mid Mo/Big Muddy. It is a very good instrument that won't take a depreciation hit if you re-sell it.
Thanks for the detailed feedback and advice! I was aware that some of the features I mentioned would be few and far between in the price range I listed -- I figured since I came across the Breedlove mandolins that there might be others I wasn't aware of.

I'll definitely look into some of the options you mentioned and hunt around the mandolin forum a bit as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
If I was looking for an entry level mando I'd head to Peter's store and pick up a beavertail:

http://sawchyn.com/index.php/mandolins/beaver-tails

Thanks -- I think of all the flat-top models I've seen, that comes closest in looks and features to something I'd like.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:05 PM

Sent you and email.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:04 PM

I recommend Big Muddy to anybody to start out. They are well made, simple, but have more tone per dollar than anything else I have found by a mile at the 500 and under price range. To my ear, they are great. But since they aren't traditional arch top and F holes, they won't chop as well as a bluegrass traditionalist might want.

I love mine.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 02-06-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Thanks -- I think of all the flat-top models I've seen, that comes closest in looks and features to something I'd like.
I was just at a jam there this morning and he had a completed lefthand that he showed around and demoed. It looked and sounded VERY sweet. He does not keep any in stock as demand is very high and there is a waiting list for them. Advantage is that when you get on the list there's also opportunity to add any customization such as exotic woods. At current exchange rate the base model costs about US$700 so is a total steal for a luthier made mandolin with those features.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:22 AM

I have a Kentucky 850. How does it fall, high end or medium end? It always stays in tune. I don't pick it up much any more. The neck is a bit different than my 12 string guitar
Old 02-25-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I'm looking to branch out to a few new instruments and add some different sounds and textures to songs and recordings. Mandolin is one that I'm interested in. I have a really really cheap Rogue mandolin that my wife got me to learn on, but it doesn't hold tune very well, doesn't sound particularly great, and just isn't a very inspiring instrument to pick up.

I'm looking for a mandolin that would be priced in the "beginner/intermediate player" sort of range. I'm thinking anywhere from $200-$600 or so. Much more and I start to think about putting that money towards a guitar. I'm also interested in a radiused fretboard and/or a wide nut, though they're nice-to-haves and not deal breakers. Both seem hard to find on cheaper mandolins. I like the look of the F-style mandolins but realize there's value in the A-style models. Open to either. I think I prefer arched to flat construction but would consider a flat-top model that checked a lot of boxes.

I've played a friend's Weber (I think an older, cheaper model of theirs) and really liked the feel of it -- seems that will be a ways out of my price range though. Played a couple 300 series Eastman models in a shop once and thought they were nice. Also recently picked up a Loar LM-520 in a Guitar Center and thought it looked and felt really nice, unfortunately I didn't have time to tune it for them. Seemed like a cool F-style for the price though. Interested in the Breedlove "crossover" models as they have the wide nut and the fretboard radius. Can't decide about the modern design cues -- part of me likes it, part of me wants something traditional.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll check a mandolin forum or two, but I thought I'd ask here given the fact that I'm first and foremost a guitar player and looking for the easiest transition from that form factor that won't require me to spend four figures.

Thanks in advance!
I got an incredible The Loar 520 VS off ebay with a hardshell case for 355 free shipping. Do some research then get what you want.
S.S.Stewart Archtop
The Loar LM 520 VS
Old 03-21-2016, 07:16 PM

This Ibanez M700 is new for this year and is all solid wood for 499.00. No electronics though. Guess you cant have everything for 499.00 Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

I'm not a mandolin player but I had my guitar set-up this morning by Rick @ Elloree Guitars. He custom builds guitars and mandolins with mandolins being his preference. He's a real craftsman and super nice guy. In our conversation this morning, he mentioned his top price is around $600 - that's for an all wood, custom made instrument. I have no affiliation with him ( I just met him this morning). Check him out here: http://www.angelfire.com/la2/elloree/
Old 03-24-2016, 09:07 AM

Location: The flatlands of South Dakota. You know it as flyover country.

ATaylor,
Sounds like we are on similar paths. I started guitar about 1.5 years ago and the mandolin bug had bit me. I've always liked the desperate sound they add to a song. So I let the mandolin bug stew for a while whilst learning some guitar. Recently started a lot of research here, Mandolin Cafe, and youtube. And purchased not one... but two! (I always claim the second one is for the missus. Its worked on the guitar so far, and we have four of them). I was very close to purchasing a Kentucky 250, but I went for a Breedlove crossover via eBay. It has the slightly wider nut and radiused fretboard that you mentioned and seems to sound nice via youtube. I also considered recommendations from the folks here and at the Mandolin Cafe and purchased an M3 from Big Muddy via eBay also. Neither have arrived yet so the rest of the story cannot yet be told. But am looking forward to learning and possibly being able to add a new/additional sound to family jams. There seems to be lots of guitarists in our bunch, (all much better than me) but this may add a different flavor to the jam. Let us know what you end up with.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the additional replies, folks! My mandolin search has been on hold but the info here has been helpful. In the meantime, I picked up a Seagull Merlin dulcimer, which has been a lot of fun. Looking forward to getting a mandolin sometime in the coming months... and maybe a banjo as well?!
Old 04-01-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the additional replies, folks! My mandolin search has been on hold but the info here has been helpful. In the meantime, I picked up a Seagull Merlin dulcimer, which has been a lot of fun. Looking forward to getting a mandolin sometime in the coming months... and maybe a banjo as well?!
Rut-roh!

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments