The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-18-2011, 11:47 AM

Default Upgrade from Acoustisonic Jr.?

I've had a Fender Acoustisonic Jr. amp for about 10 years now. I've never loved it, but it's never made it to the top of the GAS list. Now I'm thinking it's time to upgrade.

Here's what I don't like about it:

1) It sounds brittle and harsh to me, no matter what I do with the EQ. Not thin--there's plenty of bass--but harsh.

2) No direct out. Not a huge deal, since I own a Baggs Para Acoustic, but a DI out would mean one less box to bring.

3) It's too big & heavy--at least, in light of #1. (If I loved the sound, I wouldn't complain about the weight.)

4) It's ugly as sin, with its plasticky, pseudo-tweed, cat-vomit-colored skin. Again, that wouldn't matter if I loved the sound.

I use the amp mostly as a stage monitor in band situations, but they're sometimes fairly low-volume band situations where the acoustic is prominent, so tone is important as well as presence. (I.e. even if the audience is mostly hearing the PA, I don't want the amp to sound like total crap.)

I can't spend more than $500, and would rather spend less. Right now I'm looking at:

Fishman Loudbox Mini
UltraSound AG-50DS4
Marshall AS50D

Which of these would you recommend? And is there anything else I should have my eye on?

Thanks for any & all suggestions!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
I've had a Fender Acoustisonic Jr. amp for about 10 years now. I've never loved it, but it's never made it to the top of the GAS list. Now I'm thinking it's time to upgrade.

Here's what I don't like about it:

1) It sounds brittle and harsh to me, no matter what I do with the EQ. Not thin--there's plenty of bass--but harsh.

2) No direct out. Not a huge deal, since I own a Baggs Para Acoustic, but a DI out would mean one less box to bring.

3) It's too big & heavy--at least, in light of #1. (If I loved the sound, I wouldn't complain about the weight.)

4) It's ugly as sin, with its plasticky, pseudo-tweed, cat-vomit-colored skin. Again, that wouldn't matter if I loved the sound.

I use the amp mostly as a stage monitor in band situations, but they're sometimes fairly low-volume band situations where the acoustic is prominent, so tone is important as well as presence. (I.e. even if the audience is mostly hearing the PA, I don't want the amp to sound like total crap.)

I can't spend more than $500, and would rather spend less. Right now I'm looking at:

Fishman Loudbox Mini
UltraSound AG-50DS4
Marshall AS50D

Which of these would you recommend? And is there anything else I should have my eye on?

Thanks for any & all suggestions!
At that price-point, I'd also recommend you look at the Roland AC-60 (the AC-90 if you want to spend a little more) and Genz Benz 60LT (or for a little more the new 80 LT). The 60 LT is a great amp, and it was recently discontinued, so you can find them on clearance right now for a great price. I just saw one used on Amazon for $399. The 80 LT has been slightly redesigned with a little more power. If you want to make sure you have more than enough power with a band, look for a used Genz Benz 150LT. Or go for the 100 watt Marshall.

But I don't think you can go wrong with these or any of the three you listed. It's all a matter of the features you want and which one sounds best with your guitar. You may find the Loudbox Mini gets lost with a loud band, but maybe not. It depends.

Louis
Old 08-19-2011, 01:24 PM

Weirdly enough I always found the Fender to be very warm sounding and mine also did have a line-out. Hmmm...anyway if you think the Fender is harsh and brittle IMO you won't like the Fishman. I'd go with the Ultrasound. I have the 30 watt one and love it. The DS4 is a great sounding amp and very light. The Fender is a hunk to haul around I agree.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Guest 4320

+1 on the Roland AC-60...
I like this little box a little more each gig

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification