The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Mic: Heil PR 20, PR 30, PR 35

In another thread, others were touting the Heil PR 35 for a vocal mic. I have also seen the PR 30 get kudos. I have a friend who will loan me a PR 20. I have a baritone voice if it matters. Any comments on these? In another thread, I mentioned that I want my vocal sound and my acoustic guitar sound to be as good as it can be, as I am not a great singer, nor a great picker. I am experimenting with this and that. I also have four PA systems (I hope to sell two of them and keep two), including Bose L1 classic with T1 mixer. The Bose seems to shine for a singer-songwriter. Clearly heard lyrics are very important.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:32 AM

Others have more experience w/ mics than me.
I have over the years had the usual ones.
I got a Heil PR35 a few months ago and am floored.
My voice actually sounds good.
Love that mic.
Good luck.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 AM

In this thread I detail my recent experiences with the PR22 and PR35:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...highlight=pr22

The gist for your own purposes is as follows:

The PR20 and PR22 are the same mic, but the 22 has a shockmount in it that reduces the handling noise without affecting the sound of the mic. Both come in "UT" versions that are cheaper than the regular because they don't include extra interchangeable windscreens. Both are very good vocal mics with a condenser-like clarity. They have a natural sound with only a very subtle proximity effect and a wide, even pickup pattern.

The PR30 is an instrument mic that can be used for vocals, but not if you are going to hold it in your hand. The PR35 is the same mic capsule, but installed in a mic shape designed for vocal use. It has a warmer and more forceful sound than the PR20/22, with a pronounced proximity effect and an extraordinary lower-end in general. Deep bass and throaty baritone power is possible here, but with unusual clarity. The upper end is open and airy, but still forceful. The mic has an uncanny ability to pick up the texture of a voice. It also has a bass roll-off switch that attenuates the intensity of the proximity effect. With the switch in its full position, the mic sounds like a warmer and more detailed version of the PR22, but I've found that it's better to control the bass, when I have to in a band setting, with a HPF or EQ at the board. Playing solo, I just let the bass be the bass as is. Amazing mic.

Louis
Old 08-18-2011, 11:59 AM

Hi,

I have the PR20 and it's great, someday i would love to get the PR35.

The only thing I did not like about the PR20 is that it comes with ahideous looking gold mic covering capsule and looks like some junk looking mike, fortunately they also supply the silver and black capsules too.

Keyshore
Old 08-18-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyshore View Post
Hi,

I have the PR20 and it's great, someday i would love to get the PR35.

The only thing I did not like about the PR20 is that it comes with ahideous looking gold mic covering capsule and looks like some junk looking mike, fortunately they also supply the silver and black capsules too.

Keyshore
If you go for the PR22UT, you get just the silver windscreen. Looks very nice that way, I think.

Louis
Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 AM
Charter Member

I've got a couple of Heil PR-20 mics and a Heil PR-40. The PR-20 is an excellent mic for vocals but does have some handling-noise issues which shouldn't be a problem if the mic is used on a stand and not handheld.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification