The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-14-2011, 01:51 PM

Question Mag for 2nd source: suggestions?

I have a Highlander IP-2 and I would like to add a mag to the 2nd 1/8 inch input inside. I have tried a Baggs M1 passive, but have realized with Rick Jones' help that these pups don't play well together (out of phase). I would like to keep the IP-2, but was wondering what you guys would suggest for a replacement for the M1. Another thought I have been wondering is if I need to forget the 2nd input and install another jack to prevent "crosstalk" (? don't know if that's the correct term ?).

I was looking at the Duncan SA-1. Anyone have experience with this beast? My budget is less than a 130 bones; what say ye?

http://www.music123.com/Accessories/...300950.product
Old 08-14-2011, 01:58 PM

I also liked what they had to say about the DiMarzio DP-139 on fingerpick.com, but it looks like it's discontinued...

Has anyone had any experience with the DiMarzio DP-136?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DIMDP136RW
Old 08-14-2011, 04:12 PM

The Baggs M1 passive or active are both great sounding (the passive benefits from a preamp)and the have the 1/8" jack adapter. I don't know the price new off hand, but used they come up for 100 bones all the time.

- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Old 08-14-2011, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but as I said in my first post, I'm looking to replace the M1 passive I already have.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:21 PM

i'd stay away from the Duncan SA-1 or at least try it first before buying. the problem i encountered with it is that it sits high up the soundhole and prone to be hit by your fingers or pick very easily. and there is very little adjustment room.

i have the DP-139, it is fabulous. i think even though discontinued, some stores still carry them and probably on mark-down sale. so if you can find one, you are in for a surprise...it is a very mellow and sweet pickup, great for fingersltyle.

Taylor 114ce
Epiphone AJ220SCE
Epiphone IB64 Texan FT-79
Ibanez Artwood AW15
Ibanez AEG10NII
Ovation CC44-4q

Takamine EG440C STRQ (gone)
Ibanez Artcore AG75 (gone)
Old 08-17-2011, 11:36 AM

Mike_A - Thanks for the response! Yeah I'll definitely try before I buy the Duncan. So you have the Dp-139 eh? I'm jealous; I've tried several websites, but everybody is out. I'll have to check flea-bay and craigslist.

DiMarzio also has this recent addition: http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/DP230.htm

Haven't been able to get my hands on a review of the mag alone, but I'm intrigued..

Anyone heard about or tried it? I'm still open to other suggestions too. Thanks all = )
Old 08-17-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_goob View Post
I have a Highlander IP-2 and I would like to add a mag to the 2nd 1/8 inch input inside. I have tried a Baggs M1 passive, but have realized with Rick Jones' help that these pups don't play well together (out of phase). I would like to keep the IP-2, but was wondering what you guys would suggest for a replacement for the M1. Another thought I have been wondering is if I need to forget the 2nd input and install another jack to prevent "crosstalk" (? don't know if that's the correct term ?).

I was looking at the Duncan SA-1. Anyone have experience with this beast? My budget is less than a 130 bones; what say ye?

http://www.music123.com/Accessories/...300950.product
If I'm not mistaken, the one that Rick himself has been using with a SBT is the Mi-Si Duo.

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification