The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-25-2014, 06:11 AM

Default Looking for a good luthier

I have done my share of woodworking but not on a scale of building a dream custom acoustic. About three months ago I had to cut down a Black Walnut tree on my property. I've had the wood milled to various lengths and thicknesses and end treated. I wood/would love to have this tree made into a few guitars. I have set aside some blanks for electrics that I could handle but since my main playing instrument is acoustic it would be, for lack of a better term, sentimental to play the tree that was so majestically set on our property.

I am not familiar with custom luthiers that would take this project on. I currently play an older Taylor 414ce, Le Patrie Concert, and a Yamaha FG-312II 12-string. What would I look for in a luthier to get the proper custom built prize? I have read that black walnut has similar tonal qualities to koa and think this would work well for me.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:09 AM

Default luthier wanted

I guess the OP is looking for a luthier who will custom build, not just repair. I'm not located within 1000 miles of Chicago, but I do know of one luthier in Spring Green, WI, who does custom building and if he isn't the right person, I'll bet he can send the OP along to someone more likely to satisfy him. I have had no contact with this luthier in any form, but he does have a web site, Yahara Guitars in Spring Green, WI, and that's a morning's ride from Chicago. The OP might be amenable to building the guitar himself as a student project at Custom Pearl Inlay. Upstate New York is a lovely hunk of country and a nice ride from Chicago. Sounds like we're not talking about highest-end boutique building, and that opens the door to a whole lot of luthiers. Perhaps someone willing to take on such a project will read the OP's question and respond without being asked.

I I
Old 10-25-2014, 01:45 PM

I think this might be a good introduction for the OP to get hook on building like the rest of us. Walnut is suppose to bend like a dream, have not used any yet but have some boards waiting to be used. A hot pipe is an inexpensive way to start, maybe get a slotted fretboard plus bridge and the rest is just details. I had little fine woodworking experience, wait a sec, I had none before I started.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:51 PM

Default build your own

Reason I suggested Dave Nickols' business is that a student can appear at his shop on starting day, and go home a week later with a playable (actually, extremely nice) guitar without spending a pile of bucks on tools and setting up a shop. Dave is very modest about the extremely high playing qualities of student guitar projects that come out of his shop. Nice introduction to building, and being tutored by an expert is a really quick trip up a whole bunch of learning curves. I did that very thing, and my instructor (I built the guitar to learn on) tells me it plays and sounds well above its total dollar cost (course, lodging, meals, transportation). To get an idea what an immersion at a luthier's can feel like, read Clapton's Guitar.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:17 PM

The wood needs to be prepared properly before using it, i.e. moisture level, quartersawn, etc. So there is a little more to it than cutting a hunk off and building. Maybe someone that has done this can chime in.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:58 AM

Tythreem: As Tim has suggested, you would be more likely to have success if the wood was cut into proper back and side sets. Not sure if some one would take on a project where they had to do that from rough lumber. Lots do it for themselves but they select the lumber. Either cut for sets or find someone local who might look at the wood and then decide to give it a go.
Tom
Old 10-26-2014, 06:46 AM

Actually the OP is looking for a someone to make it for him, it was me suggesting doing one himself. Yes the wood has to be properly dried but it would have to be in the same condition if a luthier used it also. I figured if he already has made some electrics he has a few tools and some experience to rely on. There is plenty of time to get some experience before the wood is ready. Maybe make a uke, same process just smaller.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:56 AM

Thanks all for the info. As Phavriluk states, I am seeking out a builder. My skills at building are limited to cutting electric blanks and fitting them with pre made necks. The idea of learning and building my own acoustic is terrific. However, my time, space, and availability of tools is limited. As for the wood, it is in rough lumber forms and would require additional milling. Many pieces available in match sets, quatersawn, even neck blocks have been cut. A few stacks I am actually looking to sell. It is currently drying naturally and will take at least a year, with the neck stock taking a few years.

I have considered purchasing one of the acoustic kits available from Stewert Mac. Would this be worthwhile to start learning the basics?

BTW...Forgive my ignorance. What is OP?
Old 10-27-2014, 06:05 AM

Give me a call.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:15 AM

Worth mentioning that black walnut is highly sought after by makers of custom rifles and shotguns. Depending on it's figure and how you cut, you may be able to finance the guitar part of the project by selling some to them.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty3mmm View Post

BTW...Forgive my ignorance. What is OP?
I'm always on the edge of these conversations, not having anything much to say. However, I know that one! OP = "original poster" or, in this case, you.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 10-27-2014, 07:56 AM

I've built about ten guitars with American black walnut and it's wonderful stuff for making a guitar. Necks too! I'd love to see some pics. There is a beautiful huge walnut tree on the corner of the property where I live. Dropping walnuts like crazy now. The squirrels love it.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:54 PM

All of your info has been helpful. Where would I find a good contact list of reputable and established luthiers? Having played various guitar brands and models, settling on some based on what was available and what I could afford at the time, I have recognized that I have specifications and requirements that I would be looking for designed into this project. I travel for my job so I do have the opportunity to visit and try out as necessary. The travel is one of the reasons I would not be likely to want to build it myself.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Where would I find a good contact list of reputable and established luthiers?
Here
Old 10-30-2014, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

1) The wood sets need to be properly quartersawn and seasoned
2) A good luthier will want to examine it before committing to use it
3) They may or may not be able to afford you their full warranty using your wood

Do you have a budget per guitar in mind? "Good" luthiers rates vary greatly and this would influence a recommendation. Do you have any photos of the walnut sets that you can show?

Quote:
I have done my share of woodworking but not on a scale of building a dream custom acoustic. About three months ago I had to cut down a Black Walnut tree on my property. I've had the wood milled to various lengths and thicknesses and end treated. I wood/would love to have this tree made into a few guitars. I have set aside some blanks for electrics that I could handle but since my main playing instrument is acoustic it would be, for lack of a better term, sentimental to play the tree that was so majestically set on our property.

I am not familiar with custom luthiers that would take this project on. I currently play an older Taylor 414ce, Le Patrie Concert, and a Yamaha FG-312II 12-string. What would I look for in a luthier to get the proper custom built prize? I have read that black walnut has similar tonal qualities to koa and think this would work well for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
build to order, custom build guitar, luthier, woods