The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-30-2014, 09:08 AM

Give Chris Ensor a shout - he is a forum sponsor and did a project with a couple of guitars for a guy who wanted his grandchildren to have guitars built from a tree that was on his property.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=345283

I have a build in progress with him right now and have been very pleased so far in my dealings with Chris.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 11-03-2014, 06:41 AM

Presently, I have plenty of quartersawn wood available and gunstock sections cut. It is currently stickered and seasoning in my shed with good airflow.

As for pricing of the work, I am relatively open up to about $6k per guitar. If there is an interest I would be willing to barter some additional wood. I am considering a six-string and possibly a matching 12-string. Some of the features I am looking for are a cutaway, electronics, armrest bezel, neck and rosette inlays and an additional soundhole on the upper bout. It would also be critical to try out some of their previous builds.

It would be great if the luthier were in close enough proximity so they could pick out the best pieces to work with and also allow me an easier opportunity to stop in on occasion to check out the build.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:09 PM

I'm just up in Michigan. I'd be delighted to work with you!

Brad
Old 11-05-2014, 09:47 PM

I've built three from black walnut or claro if it differs from black. One dread, one OM, and one Jumbo all have a nice even tone. The wood is very stable, bends easily, works easily, and looks beautiful. Can be used for any part you would use mahogany for -back and sides, neck, head and tail blocks, kerfing, top wood, and even varies enough in color to use as binding on a guitar made from the same tree.

It's really to bad you don't have the time It's a perfect starter wood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
build to order, custom build guitar, luthier, woods