The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Why aren't wood dowels used in gluing a bridge to the top?

I've always wondered why not. Wouldn't this solve bridge lifting issues?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 PM

Dowels would actually weaken the joint.

A dowel going into the top, which is less than an 1/8" thick provides a very poor bond and drilling out the holes for the dowels minimizes face to face contact - which is one of the strongest glue joints.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Sometimes they are but it complicates the removal. I like what Larrivee said about the subject, that if there is a compromising situation, you want the bridge to shear off cleanly rather than tearing up the soundboard or snapping the headstock.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:37 PM

i actually use two .093 diameter acetal pins to position the bridge and to prevent swimming while gluing up, and to prevent cold creep over time. i don't drill through either the top nor the bridge but rather make very shallow flat bottomed holes for the pins.

for me they are purely used for positioning. they don't weaken anything nor prevent the bridge from lifting up either. just as traditional classical makers would use tacks to accomplish the same thing.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:40 PM

Sometimes you see them but I think they are mostly just used for alignment. There really isn't a whole lot of meat in the top and bridge plate for a dowel to take hold of. Also if the bridge is gonna rip off then it's probably best to not have dowels grab a big chunk out of the top as it sling shots free toward the peg head

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair