The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-22-2014, 12:00 AM

Default Glue For Loose Fretboard Binding?

Binding on end of fretboard has popped up slightlly at outside edge, and I want to slip a little non-caustic glue into the gap with a toothpick to adhere it back. A dab of Elmer's white glue perhaps? Would prefer something that would clean up with water and be safe for a nitro finish. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2014, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

i'm not a repair person, but you might want to look into titebond wood glue, which is found in hardware stores and luthier supply shops. or if it's a nice guitar, you might want to pay a pro to do it.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:01 AM

Is the binding plastic or wood??

Many people use CA for this type of touch-up repair. One needs to be careful, however, not to make a mess with spill-over. Glue squeeze out can easily be scraped from the top surface of the fingerboard with a sharp razor blade.

You can also use wood glue. Elmers will probably do fine. Glue it, then tape and/or clamp for at least an hour (I leave it for longer with plastic, since drying takes longer than wood-to-wood). Clean up is easy with a dampened cotton ball and you won't need to worry about damaging the finish.

I usually, however, use titebond 3 for bindings and binding touch-up repairs, since it is waterproof and so I don't ever really need to worry about hand-sweat loosening the joint.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair