The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2016, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamagish View Post
Hola folks,

So I'll be having an HD-28V delivered to my door any day now, and I'm super paranoid about keeping it in good condition. I'm looking for a little bit of advice.

What is the absolute best way to ensure that this guitar will stay in good condition, in terms of aesthetics? I'm going to obviously take good care of it and always have it humidified, but I want this guitar to look the same in 60 years as it will coming out of the case the first time.

What's the best way to keep the body clean and free of gunk? What about the fretboard, what's non-corrosive to the wood and the frets that'll keep it looking/feeling alive (It's an ebony fretboard)? And the tuners? What kind of maintenance is required to keep those working great?

I'm obviously a little OCD, but I just want this guitar to stay perfect. I've never been this excited about anything in my entire life.

Thanks everyone.
Here you go:

https://www.martinguitar.com/custome...feeding-guide/

My advice is to keep your guitar in it's case when your're not playing it and, of course, keep it properly humidified. After that, play it and enjoy it! One of the best guitars I ever played was an HD-28V.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 05-14-2016, 08:29 AM

keep it in its case and never take it out ...
or...
just play and love it

* My Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
Everybody is welcome and U 2 ;-)
Old 05-14-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamagish View Post
... but I want this guitar to look the same in 60 years as it will coming out of the case the first time.
Only way that's gonna happen is to seal it up in a time capsule, and go buy another guitar you can actually play. It's best to admire your new Martin for the sound it produces. Trying to keep it in pristine condition will take away from the joy of ownership.
I do understand where you're coming from, had pretty much the same mindset when I purchased my 1st Martin 40 years ago. It's easy enough to think that way when you're sure you have a lifetime guitar. It just doesn't work out that way in the real world of making music.
'14 Martin 00-15m
Old 05-14-2016, 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=Dominick;4935357]Only way that's gonna happen is to seal it up in a time capsule, and go buy another guitar you can actually play. It's best to admire your new Martin for the sound it produces. Trying to keep it in pristine condition will take away from the joy of ownership.

This^^^...is SO absolutely true, and you see and hear about it over and over and over again here on the guitar forums.

The people who spend the most time worrying about the cosmetic condition of their guitar are pretty much always the people whom least enjoy owning a guitar.

A person buys their brand new,or mint condition used, "dream/lifetime" guitar, and goes all OCD/Anal about keeping it like new/mint. They fuss and worry and fret about everything little thing that could effect the physical condition, and potentially the re-sale value, to the point that they can never enjoy the guitar for just being a guitar, a musical instrument. They are afraid to play it anywhere other than their house, afraid to travel with it, afraid to let other people play it...'lest "they" might damage it. In the worst cases, the owner even becomes afraid to touch it, to play it, for the fear of leaving an un-towardly mark upon it. Eventually they wind up selling it, because they just can't get over their worries/fears.

And...then...they go and do it all over again...sometimes several times over again. Which is really sad to read about...both for the guitar owner...AND...really...for the guitar.

What better life is there for a guitar, than to be played often, and make music for people to enjoy...anywhere and everywhere.

The bumps and bruises along the way are just the physical validation of a guitars life well lived...in the service of it's real purpose...to make music.

duff

Last edited by mcduffnw; 05-14-2016 at 10:43 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 05-14-2016, 12:05 PM

[QUOTE=mcduffnw;4935422]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Only way that's gonna happen is to seal it up in a time capsule, and go buy another guitar you can actually play. It's best to admire your new Martin for the sound it produces. Trying to keep it in pristine condition will take away from the joy of ownership.

This^^^...is SO absolutely true, and you see and hear about it over and over and over again here on the guitar forums.

The people who spend the most time worrying about the cosmetic condition of their guitar are pretty much always the people whom least enjoy owning a guitar.

A person buys their brand new,or mint condition used, "dream/lifetime" guitar, and goes all OCD/Anal about keeping it like new/mint. They fuss and worry and fret about everything little thing that could effect the physical condition, and potentially the re-sale value, to the point that they can never enjoy the guitar for just being a guitar, a musical instrument. They are afraid to play it anywhere other than their house, afraid to travel with it, afraid to let other people play it...'lest "they" might damage it. In the worst cases, the owner even becomes afraid to touch it, to play it, for the fear of leaving an un-towardly mark upon it. Eventually they wind up selling it, because they just can't get over their worries/fears.

And...then...they go and do it all over again...sometimes several times over again. Which is really sad to read about...both for the guitar owner...AND...really...for the guitar.

What better life is there for a guitar, than to be played often, and make music for people to enjoy...anywhere and everywhere.

The bumps and bruises along the way are just the physical validation of a guitars life well lived...in the service of it's real purpose...to make music.

duff
I love this. It reminds me of my candle making days. I'd give a candle as a gift and almost every person would say "I'll never burn it." They meant they'd keep the candle and cherish it as a gift, but I'd ask them to please burn it. A candle lives to give light. And as McDuff is saying, a guitar lives to give music.

I understand how the OP feels. I love the beauty of my HD28V too, and would be happy to keep it as pristine as it as it was the day it came to live with me. But I love to play it more than I love to look at it.

The reality is that I am a flawed and imperfect human being who can be clumsy, careless, and forgetful. I treat the guitar with respect, but I know that any object I use daily will inevitably bear the signs of my humanness. That's ok. Because just like me, that guitar is living its purpose and having fun doing it. I know it's having fun...it wouldn't sound so darn good if it wasn't!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 05-14-2016, 04:58 PM

No sudden movements and carry it in front of you.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:13 PM

I'm in the camp that says just wipe it down with a really soft cloth after you play it. If there's any "gunk" on it, just use a damp cloth first to remove it.

Basically, your new guitar is a tree. No need for polishes and the like. They only clog up the pores and eventually take away some of the tone you love.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:41 PM

Get yerself one o' these bad boys. Protects your guitar and makes you feel like a KING !

Caution, may slightly subdue volume, but those HD28V's can take a bit of taming , I know, I've got one, which I enjoy playing without worrying too much about it.

Congrats on yours !
Old 05-14-2016, 06:25 PM

In my day we bought guitars, even D-28s, and actually took them out of the house and used them.

I know, right!!?!??

rct
Old 05-14-2016, 06:58 PM

I understand the mind set as to wanting to keep it looking as new as possible.

Just use common sense and enjoy it.

And yes it is going get it's first ding it is going to make you mad.

If you want to have your guitar sound it's best play it and play it some more.

Congrats on getting a great guitar
Old 05-14-2016, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

1. UV light tans the spruce top, so keep it in its case when you're not using it. That said, even a guitar left in its case all day will eventually tan. The lacquer itself yellows with time, even in the dark.

2. Don't play with a pick if you don't want tiny marks in the finish.

3. Wash your hands before you play.

Finally, to expect a guitar--let alone a PLAYED guitar--to look brand new in 50 years is insane. Literally insane. The only way to achieve that is not to play the guitar or remove it from its case at all--in which case, why buy it. EVERY guitar gets dinged eventually.

Just please don't have a total psychotic break when yours gets dinged. I don't want to read about some murder in the papers because some kid knocked over your guitar. Seriously, try to take it easy and play the heck out of that thing. The HD-28V is an incredible Martin dreadnought. You are a lucky man, for the TONE alone. Have fun!
Old 05-15-2016, 05:02 AM

Change the oil every 3k miles.
Trans fluid ever 60k.
Ck brakes every 30k.
Service differential @ 75k.

You should be okay.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:53 AM

play it or sell it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cleaning, fretboard, maintenance, oil, polish