The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-22-2016, 01:15 PM

Default Frank Helsley of Republic Guitars has died

I read recently on Michael Messer's forum that Frank Helsley of Republic Guitars has died. I've not been able to find out any other information. Sad news, I've never had a Republic resonator, but have only ever heard good things about him as a dealer.
MM Blues resonator
Seagull S6 Original
Old 07-22-2016, 03:02 PM

Sad news. I got my Tricone from Republic. He/they were a pleasure to deal with.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:01 PM

Hey guys, Thanks so much for the good words, it's always so heartwarming to hear all the good things people have to say about my dad. My name is Frank Helsley as well... Jr. I suppose you could say, although my middle name differs from my dad's, everyone called him 'big Frank' and me 'little Frank', which also made sense as he was 6' tall and I'm a towering 5'6" (I get my short stature from my mom I guess :-)

Myself, wife Angelique, and longtime business partner Jason, along with a few dedicated shop technicians over the past few years, have been running the business for all intents and purposes while helping Dad to transition towards retirement. I can't say it is entirely unexpected as dad had some health problems for some time that I won't go into, but it's been a tough journey the past 3 years, and now he is at peace. Republic Guitars isn't going anywhere, and will stand as his legacy as long as I have anything to say about it!

Many over the past 3 years that may have thought they were dealing with 'big Frank' were in fact dealing with me, and we only hope to continue to live up to his reputation of straightforward business dealings, not ever taking life so seriously that we don't have time to enjoy some friendly banter with customers, or have guests come out to our shop to pick a little with us. I've got a great recording of dad and his good friend Dennis Hardwick playing somewhere around '79 into two mics plugged into a tape recorder. Dad is playing his '32 National Style O on the right channel and Dennis is on the left channel on a Martin I think. I'm going to put it on our facebook page (http://facebook.com/republicguitars ), so go check it out and like the page, and thanks again for the thoughts and prayers.

- Frank (Jr)
Old 08-06-2016, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingoccc View Post
Sad news. I got my Tricone from Republic. He/they were a pleasure to deal with.
Same here, wow, RIP Frank.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-06-2016, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by republicguitars View Post
Hey guys, Thanks so much for the good words, it's always so heartwarming to hear all the good things people have to say about my dad. My name is Frank Helsley as well... Jr. I suppose you could say, although my middle name differs from my dad's, everyone called him 'big Frank' and me 'little Frank', which also made sense as he was 6' tall and I'm a towering 5'6" (I get my short stature from my mom I guess :-)

Myself, wife Angelique, and longtime business partner Jason, along with a few dedicated shop technicians over the past few years, have been running the business for all intents and purposes while helping Dad to transition towards retirement. I can't say it is entirely unexpected as dad had some health problems for some time that I won't go into, but it's been a tough journey the past 3 years, and now he is at peace. Republic Guitars isn't going anywhere, and will stand as his legacy as long as I have anything to say about it!

Many over the past 3 years that may have thought they were dealing with 'big Frank' were in fact dealing with me, and we only hope to continue to live up to his reputation of straightforward business dealings, not ever taking life so seriously that we don't have time to enjoy some friendly banter with customers, or have guests come out to our shop to pick a little with us. I've got a great recording of dad and his good friend Dennis Hardwick playing somewhere around '79 into two mics plugged into a tape recorder. Dad is playing his '32 National Style O on the right channel and Dennis is on the left channel on a Martin I think. I'm going to put it on our facebook page (http://facebook.com/republicguitars ), so go check it out and like the page, and thanks again for the thoughts and prayers.

- Frank (Jr)
I'm sorry to hear this Frank, condolences and prayers for you and your family.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments