The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-28-2014, 07:49 AM

Default Open C resources, help, lessons, songs etc

Hi all,
After recently coming back to playing guitar after a very annoying finger injury that i'm just about recovered from put me out for most of the year, I've decided to branch out from playing strummed chords in standard tuning and try finger picking and the like, I discovered I fingerpick quite well but I SUCK at ragtime/travis picking.
However, I also am completely mesmerised by the studio version of Ocean by John Butler so am attempting to learn it. for those that don't know it see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdYJf_ybyVo

I'm not really getting my head around it that quickly because its pretty tricky and there aren't any video lessons for it online, any tabs seem to be from previous live performances which are often improvised and never the same, so I can't get work out whats going on properly. I'm just watching and watching and attempting to copy what I think I see.
Since my guitar is now often tuned to Open C to play Ocean, I was wondering if anyone knew of any online lessons or resources or chord charts, so I can improvise something or maybe some cool tunes with tabs and the like so that when I get frustrated with making mistakes I can try something else before I go back and try again without having to retune. There doesn't seem to be much about just by using google hence I thought I'd ask if anyone knew anything
Thanks in advance
Dave
Old 08-28-2014, 08:22 AM

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are looking for, so I will just post this and hope that it helps.

Cheers.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:00 PM

Thanks, thats a good start, at least now I can use that to chart to do something in Open C other then struggle to play Ocean badly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write