The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-27-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlknghd View Post
Man alive...you guys are great...this has been a huge help.
I was close earlier with the open B tuning....but while I had the string tuned for an open B...the strings were not in same sequence as Joe has his...consequently my confusion over the shape.
You guys were a huge help.
Thanks!
This is what I meant about Bonamassa "moving strings around" - putting them in a different sequence or order. Seems like there is some flexibility there.

Definitely seems like open tunings serve a particular purpose, whether it is Robert Johnson blues or a Celtic chantey. Personally, I'm addicted to the sound of Hawaiian, and would have no problem dropping out and moving to the beach. But I also consider it "drone" music. I finally saw Beuna Vista Social Club and that was all open tunings by Ry Cooder.

PS: I did hook up with Fran here - love his vids, too
Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBerryman View Post
This is what I meant about Bonamassa "moving strings around" - putting them in a different sequence or order. Seems like there is some flexibility there.
Potentially yes, but judging from the first chord he plays (slightly arpeggiated), they're in the usual order.

(I did think at first it was an open G tuning two whole-steps up - similar chord shapes to what he was playing seemed to fit. But then I realised it was all way down: open D 3 half-steps down.)
Old 08-27-2014, 12:44 PM

I forgot about tuning up. I can play the same song in open G, tune down to open F, or tune up to open A. Fun to do the same song, but get different variations. Really gives you the feel of a certain key.

Bonamassa sure inspires me to keep exploring. He can do it all, of course.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:13 AM

Default string tuning order

This is really interesting.

I might have lead some of you astray with my previous post about the tuning order of the strings when I said I had been in an open B tuning but didn't get the right sound with the shapes Joe is using until I changed the order of the strings.
Here is what I meant:
Originally I was trying this song in what I have always considered an open B tuning: D# B D# F# B D# (low to high)
However, I got much closer to the sound when I switched the order to:
B F# B D# F# B (low to high)

Same notes...different string order.

Now when I play and use what appear to be the shapes Joe is using it's pretty close.

I have no formal training in any of this...so I have no idea if either of these tunings is actually an Open B or something else. Frankly, I just play by ear. When one of the other guys asks what Key I'm in or what chord I'm playing, I just say, "I call this one Bob."

But I'm trying to learn, so if anyone can shed more light...I'm all ears.
Yairi dy40-12
Yairi dy91
Yairi dy94
Yairi dy95C
Yairi dym 95
Yairi WY80
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Fender Strat
Homemade Cigar Box
Old 08-28-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlknghd View Post
This is really interesting.

I might have lead some of you astray with my previous post about the tuning order of the strings when I said I had been in an open B tuning but didn't get the right sound with the shapes Joe is using until I changed the order of the strings.
Here is what I meant:
Originally I was trying this song in what I have always considered an open B tuning: D# B D# F# B D# (low to high)
However, I got much closer to the sound when I switched the order to:
B F# B D# F# B (low to high)

Same notes...different string order.
Right, I see what you mean. I thought you meant something like removing the strings and replacing them in a different order!

The first open B you described is not one I've seen before. It would be very odd (IMO) to have the D# as lowest note - and to have three D#s!

The first tuning I thought of was an open G variant: F# B F# B D# F# (like open G with capo on 4). You can use chord shapes that look a little like what he was playing, and it sounds right (x-x-3-2-1-0, and 5-x-5-4-3-0). But of course, without a capo, you'd need very light strings to tune up that far. Still, the fact that those chord shapes worked misled me until I heard his low B bass (I really wasn't listening very well! )

I soon realised he must be in the second tuning you mention (confirmed by a close listen, and slowdown, of that first strummed chord) - like open D but 3 half-steps down. (See my tab above for his shapes.)

BTW, you're quite correct that both tunings are open B, because they contain the 3 notes of a B major triad (no more, no less). They could go in any order, but it usually works best to have the root on 6th string.
The common open G and A tunings have the 5th of the chord on the bottom, with root on the 5th string, which also works. But I haven't encountered any open chord tuning that has the 3rd of the chord on the bottom - it strikes me as impractical.

Last edited by JonPR; 08-28-2014 at 06:53 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write