The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-11-2016, 01:38 PM

Default Second mic? Stan Rogers content

I slapped this together real quick a couple nights ago (had to sing pretty quietly as the household was a-slumber ;-). I was trying to find a good sweet spot for single track demo recording using a 414C. I'm beginning to feel I'd probably do better with a second mic on the guitar so I can play with its level a little - even if some vocals do bleed into it. Keep in mind, I'm probably singing at 2/3 my normal volume here, so the difference is even more pronounced when I sing full. (used one of my Stan Rogers favorites for the test tune).

2009 Martin OM-28 Marquis
2016 Gibson J45 Standard

Last edited by B-Nads; 04-25-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:31 PM

I would def use a second mic if you have one. That way you can blend your guitar with your vocals a lot better. I personally use three mics, 2 on my guitar and one for my vocals that way I can get a nice stereo spread for the guitar with my vocals right in the middle. There are plenty of mic options and techniques to minimize bleed. Also, I'm not sure if you used a compressor on this song, if not, that'll help a lot to balance the levels.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:54 PM

Great vocal performance....I've never heard this song before and you really give some feeling and emotion. I agree...I'd like to hear more of the guitar. Your playing is excellent as well.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:59 PM

Thanks.

I've got a matched pair of Octavia's with the interchangeable heads. I'll pick up a couple more stands and try them out.

I put some compression, but very light, Jon. I'll try adding more...I'll also go lighter on the reverb shaker while I'm at it - lol. Thanks.

2009 Martin OM-28 Marquis
2016 Gibson J45 Standard

Last edited by B-Nads; 03-11-2016 at 05:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell