The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-11-2011, 07:49 PM

Default Guitarlele

I got mine last weekend. Fun to play. I've got big hands but the first 5 frets have just enough room for (most) chords & I can go a little further up the neck picking scales. Sounds like a ukulele. The action's a bit high for fast flatpicking so I'll lower the saddle next string change. I'm used to fingerpicking 12 strings but there's enough space at the bridge to get it done, just not quite as comfortably. This will be in my suitcase next weekend road trip. What makes it fun is that it's so small. It's the smallest guitar I've ever played. I busted out laughing when I first picked it up & played it. Probably a great beginner guitar for 2 year olds! For me it's a keeper.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:23 AM

I bought the GL-1 a year ago or so after watching hours of youtube videos of it. It definitely takes a little getting used to in terms of scale and neck size. I lowered the saddle, changed the strings to D'Addario normal tension nylons, and it's really a fun little toy. I love mine because it's small enough to easily take with when traveling and cheap enough I don't have to worry about beating it up. I later installed a MISI pickup in it and I was amazed, when this thing is plugged in it sounds completely different. When playing at home, I almost never play it unplugged anymore. The tone I can get through my amp is so warm even at higher volumes, throw in just a hint of reverb and it really sounds amazing to my ear. Highly recommend to anyone thinking about picking one up.

Turner

P.S. here's a couple of my favorite youtube vids of the GL-1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r3Dw...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s2xojICOHU
2009 Fender Stratocaster - Squier (Modified)

Last edited by turner28; 10-12-2011 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Added another link
Old 12-10-2011, 02:37 PM

I've searched the forum and Googled but I can't seem to find the overall length of this Yamaha. Any have one that could measure and comment?

Also, the build quality seems to get very mixed reviews. Comments?

I had but sold a Washburn Rover once--and was amazed at the build quality. But I couldn't get used to it's shape. It was about $50 more with a great case.

thanks.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:12 PM

I got out my tape measure & read 27.5" long. Build quality is ok for the price. Way better than toy guitars in similar sizes.

Last edited by Juan_Banjovy; 12-10-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:01 PM

Thanks much!
Old 12-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Just wondering: does this thread belong in the "Other Stringed Instruments" area?
Old 12-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

i don't think so. they're tiny guitars to me, not really ukes.

btw, anyone here ever tried one of these?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgU1ZrHwA_M

i really like 'em!
Old 12-11-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
snip...they're tiny guitars to me, not really ukes...
snip
Exactly.

This isn't a uke in this video.

It does sound really cool, but it's a guitar, not a uke.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
i don't think so. they're tiny guitars to me, not really ukes.

btw, anyone here ever tried one of these?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgU1ZrHwA_M

i really like 'em!
Have you had a chance to try one in person as well as the Yamaha? That video and a few others have my attention. I've looked at the specs on both this and the Yamaha and size and scale they seem to be almost the same--really, really close. The price of the Cordoba is exactly double the Yamaha, but the sound on the videos is so much better that I'm not surprised at all. The Cordoba also comes in a cutaway or with electronics and seems to be made of solid wood, at least the top vs. the Yamaha being all laminate.

However, videos and a good player and technique can make one sound much better than the other. If the same player, same strings were used--the story could be different. That's why I was wondering if you might have had opportunity to play them both (or anyone else reading for that matter.) Thanks.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnobuddy View Post
Have you checked out some of the You Tube videos of people playing this little Yamaha guitalele? It seems there are quite a few people managing to get really attractive sounds out of this instrument, plywood top or no plywood top.

Here's an example, this man gets really lovely tone out of this budget instrument (despite the automatic volume control in the camcorder audibly squashing all the peaks): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uumuT...eature=related

And another:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Pf-...eature=related

And this is a pretty nice demo of the instrument, including comparison with a regular guitar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrHL0...eature=related

If my hands were smaller I'd probably get one of these just for fun and giggles (and to add interesting sounds to some of my home recordings).

-Gnobuddy
Gnobuddy - thanks for the reply , Ive seen some wonderful things done on Youtube with all sorts of different and interesting instruments -even a fellow who put rubber bands on a cigar box - I really believe with enough practice anyone could play a song that sounded half way decent even on the worst instrument . I believe they also make the Gitaralee out of other woods -maybe I'll give one a shot when they come out with better made model -but I try not to buy wall hangers ( i have a few of those already ) Peace.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 AM

Thumbs up

I bought a Yamaha about a year ago, basically because I'm too lazy to learn how to play my proper uke. Was really disappointed because I wanted that great ukulele sound, but what I got sounded like a cheap kids toy guitar. Started playing with string variations and finally found that just replacing the wound low A string with another nylon high A and leaving it at it's standard tuning gave me that "harp-like" sound I was looking for. I play it all the time now on Jack Johnson tunes and stuff that needs that unique uke sound in the rhythm.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfos48 View Post
I bought a Yamaha about a year ago, basically because I'm too lazy to learn how to play my proper uke. Was really disappointed because I wanted that great ukulele sound, but what I got sounded like a cheap kids toy guitar. Started playing with string variations and finally found that just replacing the wound low A string with another nylon high A and leaving it at it's standard tuning gave me that "harp-like" sound I was looking for. I play it all the time now on Jack Johnson tunes and stuff that needs that unique uke sound in the rhythm.
Interesting idea!

I still have the stock strings (whatever they are) on my GL-1, but I also bought a pack of D'add. Pro Arte Extra Hard's that I plan on trying next. Several reviewers have said that makes the tone fuller, less 'plinky'.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:10 AM

Default Yamaha Review

One showed up in my stocking Christmas morning. Still can't decide if it is a cool toy, decent uke or cheap guitar. I tried a couple of different tunings with it and went back to A to A.

I like my Pono baritone uke better, but this guitalele is about 3 inches shorter with smaller bouts and sturdier construction. I might try to take it on a trip next time I go somewhere. I am less worried about breaking it than the baritone uke and even my soprano uke. Also it is a lot cheaper than the ukes and guitars I have in case I break it and have to replace it. Got it for the price of a decent tuner (and with a decent tuner thrown into the deal as a lagniappe from what I gather from talking to Santa. A spare set of guitalele strings too).

I would rather have a guitar with me, but this guitalele may be enough in a pinch. It also stretches my brain as I transpose to get back to the same key I play guitar to accompany my singing. The strings are too floppy to tune much more than a step below standard uke tuning. I also have to tune it a lot. I suspect the strings will stay in tune better once they stop stretching so much.

Tone is OK. Roughly like a concert uke. It gets a little tight after about the 5th or 6th fret so I mostly stick to cowboy chords.

Would I have bought one for myself? No.

Will I keep it? Probably.

Hope everyone is having a great new year.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 01-03-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
One showed up in my stocking Christmas morning. Still can't decide if it is a cool toy, decent uke or cheap guitar. I tried a couple of different tunings with it and went back to A to A.

Would I have bought one for myself? No.

Will I keep it? Probably.

Hope everyone is having a great new year.
Happy new year!
I think it will grow on you as you play with it.
I would suggest putting on some better strings, mine wears Pro Arte.

I keep mine in G to A, basically the equivalent of drop-D.
As a laminate, I don't know if it truly opened up or not, but I enjoy it more and more.
Plus, I leave it out hanging on a wall so it's very easy to grab for a few minutes if I'm helping my son with his bath or if I have stuff simmering on the stove.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:59 PM

I am not sure if I care enough to invest in more uke strings, but thanks for the string suggestion. That may actually be the extra set that came with the guitalele though. I will have to check as I don't remember.

I prefer guitar and the guitalele and ukes only come out if I don't have access to a decent guitar. My goto guitars are pretty tough and I leave them out 99% of the time to grab whenever I have 2 minutes (or more) to play a lick or song.

I might try to drop the low string and see if I can play Pachelbel's canon in G for a change or something like it. Nice idea. Thanks.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments