The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-20-2017, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Default CEO-7 and Anthem SL

Hey guys,

Currently have a K&K pure mini in my CEO-7. This is the second K&K I've had in a guitar and it just doesn't work for me. I have had two guitars with Anthems, full and SL and I really like them.

When the Anthems were installed in the guitars, the acoustic characteristics of them seemed to change a bit to me. String buzzing that wasn't there before, and maybe a dampening of the overtones.

I'm very aware that could just be me being picky. But, I really like the Anthem SL pickups and would like one in my CEO-7. However, I am afraid it will change the guitar some. Maybe it was the installation of it and not sanding down the saddle correctly? What would be the best way of going about getting that right? Have any of you experienced a change in your guitar with this pickup?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2017, 09:18 PM

It's not your imagination. Many of us like the sound of the Anthem pickup. It's a very good sounding pickup. But, many of us also think it degrades acoustic tone. There are people who disagree with this conclusion, so only you can be the judge. If you noticed a difference in past guitars, I suspect your experience will be no different with the CEO7.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 09:21 PM

I'm playing a K&K equipped CEO-7. If you really like the acoustic tone, don't bother changing the pickup, just get a Tonedexter.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I experienced a degradation/shift in both tone and volume when I had the Anthem SL installed in both my Mark Angus 6 and 12 string acoustics... it was especially noticeable on the 6 string.

Lost about 15% of the volume and the tone seemed all "squashed together" - not in a bad way, but it seemed to remove a lot of the "character" of that particular guitar.

That Angus was made for me in 1979, and I have played it extensively for the past 37 years... for 32 of those years, it was my one and only 6 string acoustic, and I'm a performing singer/songwriter, so I REALLY gave that guitar a workout! I knew how it sounded in all instances; perhaps that was why I was so acutely aware of the change from the Anthem SL installation.

If I didn't love the amplified sound of the SL, I would have yanked it out of that guitar immediately! However, I'm quite pleased with the tone of the pickup, so it has remained installed for the past 6 years or so...

In my case, the volume came back within about 4 months, and is now pretty much where it used to be... in the interim, I had work done on the neck of that guitar (the equivalent of a neck reset), and now, the saddle height is substantial in comparison... I suspect that saddle height has a lot to do with tone characteristics, so I don't know if the "old" tone came back or not...

Hope this helps in making your decision...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-24-2017, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Recently had an Anthem SL installed in my new Waterloo guitar and it did not hurt the acoustic sound of the guitar. Through an acoustic amp or PA the Anthem SL is far and away the most natural sounding pickup system I have used and I have used quite a few different PU systems.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

I happen to play my gigging acoustics amplified 90% of the time. If the Anthem changed the sound of both of my Collings, I never noticed anything. If there was a change, it was insignificant. My guitars are an OM1A and OM2H Cutaway Madi/German. They are stunning acoustically ....but I gig often and when amplified, there has yet to be a better sounding PU I've used that is as accurate, authentic sounding and not prone to feedback.

The K&K for me was very problematic in terms of feedback once I reached a certain volume.

I have the full anthem. Not SL, but I'm sure the tonal shift is in regard to the element UST under the saddle.

Some have said there was a tonal shift that became less pronounced over a period of time as the Element became more settled under the saddle. I can't say one way or the other, but I love my guitars tone acoustically and electrically. They are a tool and when I gig, I want the best amplified tone possible.

Anthem for me. All the way.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-27-2017, 07:28 AM

I have never experienced any tonal degradation with the SL.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-27-2017, 10:18 AM

I noticed a change in the volume and tone of my Taylor once the Anthem SL was installed. My theory is that the Element UST does alter the tone slightly, it's just more noticeable on certain guitars. On the Lr Baggs forum, employees of the company have confirmed that there is some tonal change.

My Taylor was always a fairly bright and at times thin guitar but the tone worked for me. With the SL installed, my volume dropped by a bit but my tone also became a bit thinner. I think on a Martin or a guitar with a very full tone, the degradation might not be as bad/noticeable but if you have a guitar that is already bright, it might make things worse.

For me though, the biggest let down has been the tone plugged in. I had tried the SL before in different guitars and always really liked it. In mine, the mic just seems to far too loud in the mix. It really reminds me of the Lyric that I tried before (no bass and a thin tone). Even the other guitar player in my band who does not care about tone at all, mentioned that he thinks that my acoustic sounds bad.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification