The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-30-2017, 12:15 PM

Default Can anyone give me a comparison CA Legacy Vs CA GX please

I am trying to decide between the Composite acoustic Gx and the Legacy. One a GA body the other dreadnought. Scale length the same , radius same, frets same, tuners same, nut width same, electronics same.
The legacy lower bout 15.98, the GX 16.04
The legacy body depth 4.52, the GX 4.68
The legacy of course no cut out, which I don't really need.then there is the heel joint or lack there of.
Any opinions, one vs the other for sound/tone?
Have one day to decide.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:47 PM

You've assembled the dimensions, but only you can decide what is more comfortable for you to hold and play. Those dimensions are not markedly different from one another. Fro example, the width of the lower bout on a Taylor GA is the same as their DN. But the narrower GA waist makes them a different playing experience in terms of how they sit on the leg. Are you (in general) a dreadnought guy or a GA guy? I prefer the GA size myself, and have sold off my dreads - except for my original Seagull S6. That was also true of my Martin J-40 jumbo versus a D-28. The narrower waist of the J-40 made a LOT of difference comfort-wise.

I cannot comment much on their tone, because I don't play CA guitars very much - just the occasional brief test play in our local store, which has a good selection of CA models. And I usually don't look at the dreadnoughts anyway, due to my bad right shoulder. The closest familiar comparison I can make is my Rainsong WS-1000 versus a DR-1000 dreadnought that a friend has. The RS dread is bigger and bolder tonally, with more bass-emphasis, and maybe a touch louder overall. A little generic, but the best I can do verbally.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:55 PM

I have owned both, but it was some time ago. The GX has a pretty extreme cutaway design and that costs it quite a bit of interior volume compared to the Legacy. If you want more acoustic volume and bigger bass go Legacy. If you want electric guitar like access to the upper frets, go GX.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-31-2017, 07:48 AM

I faced this same decision some years ago. In my case the deciding point was playing comfort. The body contours on the GX (especially the back cut-a-way) just make it much more comfortable to hold. The GX is also a more versatile instrument. Unless you are a die hard bluegrass jammer who needs every possible bit of volume, I would recommend the GX.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:47 AM

Wink

Buy both
You won't regret them
2009 GXi Wine
2009 CA 12-Strings Sun-burst
2010 X-Performer Carbon-burst
2011 Cargo Red

Emerald Soloist
2012 X20-OS Vintage Amber

Blackbird Soloist
2013 Super OM Carbon-burst with italian racing red sound-holes

http://pinterest.com/charming01/carb...forced-guitars
Old 03-31-2017, 10:02 AM

Well, I very much appreciate all the replies .
I did wind up ordering the Legacy for a couple of reasons. For one, I was offered this new guitar for 800.00 below map with zero % down and zero interest for 36 months.
I wanted the GX, however, there is some kind of problem at the factory. Speaking with customer service there, they tell me they don't have the Gotoh tuners, might switch to Hipshots and we're not sure when any would be available. As the special deal ends today, I grabbed the Legacy with high gloss carbon burst and fishman electronics.
I live on my boat, sold my wood guitars and am going with one guitar only for now. The Legacy will hopefully fit the bill. I strum 70 percent finger pick 30 percent of the time and never go above the 7th fret.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Hope it works for you. I have used wood and CF while boat and RV cruising, and I would not go back to wood. Well, I also really like the CF sound. I've not found a dread that fits me, but that's why the manufacturers make 'em in different body sizes/styles. Hope you enjoy the heck out of your new Legacy.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
I am trying to decide between the Composite acoustic Gx and the Legacy. One a GA body the other dreadnought. Scale length the same , radius same, frets same, tuners same, nut width same, electronics same.
The legacy lower bout 15.98, the GX 16.04
The legacy body depth 4.52, the GX 4.68
The legacy of course no cut out, which I don't really need.then there is the heel joint or lack there of.
Any opinions, one vs the other for sound/tone?
Have one day to decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
Well, I very much appreciate all the replies .
I did wind up ordering the Legacy for a couple of reasons. For one, I was offered this new guitar for 800.00 below map with zero % down and zero interest for 36 months.
I wanted the GX, however, there is some kind of problem at the factory. Speaking with customer service there, they tell me they don't have the Gotoh tuners, might switch to Hipshots and we're not sure when any would be available. As the special deal ends today, I grabbed the Legacy with high gloss carbon burst and fishman electronics.
I live on my boat, sold my wood guitars and am going with one guitar only for now. The Legacy will hopefully fit the bill. I strum 70 percent finger pick 30 percent of the time and never go above the 7th fret.
Bit late to this, but I think you will like your Legacy very much. FYI, the CA Legacy has a shallower body than most dreadnoughts, so it's not as bass heavy compared to the GX as one might expect. In fact, the Legacy is well balances, and definitely responsive enough for fingerstyle.

Congrats, and let us know what you think once you have it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber