The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-09-2017, 08:22 AM

Default Quality Small mixer with Audio interface

I've been researching my options on a smaller mixer to record with and it seems that this marked is a bit of hit and miss. Quality names like Allen&Heath have got nice affordable models, unfortunately with rapports of noise problems. (Zed and Zedi). And Soundcraft Signature models look the part, but I remain sceptical considering who makes them. With Yamaha, I have no idea. Behringer - foggetaboutit!

Needs:
• small form factor for desktop use with channels from 4x up
• great sounding preamps(important!)
• a few inserts
• stand alone capability
• great Audio interface with low latency

With these 'tall orders' on audio I easily end up on a lager console, but recording myself at home and the odd rehearsal with my band, I want this thing to be a nice manageable size. Like an expensive sounding Portastudio with SSL/Neve quality.. [emoji39]

I do not want any iPad or tablet dependable device.

Any takers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2017, 08:24 AM

Default Quality Small mixer with Audio interface

I have the Yamaha MG12FX with Audio USB interface. It works well. It's cheap. It comes with a CUBASE subscription, if I recall. If you're on a budget and want quality, I'd say it's the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-09-2017, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

From what I remember from a while back, many of the mixers with USB were limited to 2 channel of recording. I don't know what's available currently, but have you looked into the Mackie mixers with USB outputs? Does something like the SPL Crimson work for you?

Motu has quite a number of audio interfaces. Some support standalone operation as a 'limited' mixer (not in a standard mixer layout) in addition to use as an interface.

Did you look into systems that are designed for churches/small halls?

It might be helpful to understand what your needs are for 'standalone' operation.

Having 'great preamps' may also have to be better understood; expectations can vary greatly.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 02-09-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Are you new to home recording? I'm wondering why you think you need a hardware mixer.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I have the Yamaha MG12FX with Audio USB interface. It works well. It's cheap. It comes with a CUBASE subscription, if I recall. If you're on a budget and want quality, I'd say it's the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll check it out, thanks. But if it's cheap, it's probably not what I seek. (They tend to price accordingly.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Are you new to home recording? I'm wondering why you think you need a hardware mixer.
I was wondering the same thing although in his laundry list he appears to want to be able to use a mixer live as well.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-09-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I was wondering the same thing although in his laundry list he appears to want to be able to use a mixer live as well.
A stable audio interface like RME could work well for my modest setup, but I feel it would be nice with hands on operation and getting away from the computer more (while recording). But I'm not tempted by spending to much time in those mixing softwares. They can be creativity killers IMO. There is something to be said for tactility.

Nice to be able to have a guitar, synth, drum machine, mics and a few effect units plugged in and ready to go - rocking it old school. And still be able to turn on the computer and record, (or audio files directly to disk like I've seen some do).

Great preamps, means to me something a professional would use to record with e.g. on the road. So not a mediocre or just ok sounding unit, but top sounding, with good headroom.

I've been concidering the Apollo Twin Mk2 as a compromise for good sound, but that glorious vending machine for expensive plugins got the stink of planned obsolescence. Harsh maybe, but that's how I see it :-)
Old 02-09-2017, 11:10 AM

Toft Audio makes high quality 4 and 8 channel analog mixers, if you want something for both live and recording, and you prefer analog, and presumably if you already have rack reverb, etc. hardware. Not underpriced.

There are many good 8-12 channel digital choices like A & H and Midas in this price range, though, and these have all the effects built in.

http://www.toftaudio.com/atb04m.html
Old 02-09-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
From what I remember from a while back, many of the mixers with USB were limited to 2 channel of recording. I don't know what's available currently, but have you looked into the Mackie mixers with USB outputs? Does something like the SPL Crimson work for you?

Motu has quite a number of audio interfaces. Some support standalone operation as a 'limited' mixer (not in a standard mixer layout) in addition to use as an interface.

Did you look into systems that are designed for churches/small halls?

It might be helpful to understand what your needs are for 'standalone' operation.

Having 'great preamps' may also have to be better understood; expectations can vary greatly.
I have been concidering the SPL Crimson, but unfortunately there is a bit of a gamble with these smaller companies, with drivers.. (not so futureproof..).

The same could be said for Mackie, they have dropped support, moving forwards releasing new stuff (I don't like that). E. g anything iOS dependable have a short lifespan while an old 80s cassette Portastudio still works :-)
Old 02-09-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
A stable audio interface like RME could work well for my modest setup, but I feel it would be nice with hands on operation and getting away from the computer more (while recording). But I'm not tempted by spending to much time in those mixing softwares. They can be creativity killers IMO. There is something to be said for tactility.
Without question there's something to be said about analog tactillity. In fact almost irreplaceable. I'd also take it a step further and say no control surface has ever even remotely come close to that feel even though the claim of providing tactile response is their main marketing angle. The response of analog faders is completely different than that of either control surfaces and or mixing in the box. When it comes to the joyous and luxurious application of good analog eq the bar is even higher. The gargantuan "got-cha" however is the loss (at least in part) of automation. It's also difficult to ignore (especially in the last 5 years) how good plug-in's have become. Lexicon's new verbs are the first software-based reverbs I can actually say really work and I can have 20 per session without much fuss. The same goes for compression and although I'm a ginormous advocate for my Charter Oaks compressor two channels is completely limiting and I find I must bounce and realign just to use it on more than two tracks.

If it were without consequences I'd have a great 32 channel analog mixer as part of my rig. The problem however is not just the cost of a great mixer but also the cost of 32 i/o of converters. To do that correctly you're starting out at the 10 grand price point and moving up from there. That and as I mentioned before the mitigation of no automation.

In the end and all things considered once you run the numbers and contemplate the loss of automation (despite having a great analog board being my dream situation) mixing in the box just makes much more sense for me.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
Toft Audio makes high quality 4 and 8 channel analog mixers, if you want something for both live and recording, and you prefer analog, and presumably if you already have rack reverb, etc. hardware. Not underpriced.

There are many good 8-12 channel digital choices like A & H and Midas in this price range, though, and these have all the effects built in.

http://www.toftaudio.com/atb04m.html
I'm sure that Toft Audio is quality, but it's large as houses..

I suspect that A & H smaller mixers not having the minerals for recording. They have rapports of noisy channels. The QU-16 looks good, but I'd like an (unborn) little brother.

Midas is now Behringer..
Old 02-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Humm you kind of want it all

But at the less expensive end have you considered something like the PreSonus Studiolive 16.0.2 mixer
http://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-16.0.2

Or at the upper end since you mentioned Neve

The Neve 5060 Center Piece
http://rupertneve.com/products/5060-centerpiece/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-09-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Without question there's something to be said about analog tactillity. In fact almost irreplaceable. I'd also take it a step further and say no control surface has ever even remotely come close to that feel even though the claim of providing tactile response is their main marketing angle. The response of analog faders is completely different than that of either control surfaces and or mixing in the box. When it comes to the joyous and luxurious application of good analog eq the bar is even higher. The gargantuan "got-cha" however is the loss (at least in part) of automation. It's also difficult to ignore (especially in the last 5 years) how good plug-in's have become. Lexicon's new verbs are the first software-based reverbs I can actually say really work and I can have 20 per session without much fuss. The same goes for compression and although I'm a ginormous advocate for my Charter Oaks compressor two channels is completely limiting and I find I must bounce and realign just to use it on more than two tracks.

If it were without consequences I'd have a great 32 channel analog mixer as part of my rig. The problem however is not just the cost of a great mixer but also the cost of 32 i/o of converters. To do that correctly you're starting out at the 10 grand price point and moving up from there. That and as I mentioned before the mitigation of no automation.

In the end and all things considered once you run the numbers and contemplate the loss of automation (despite having a great analog board being my dream situation) mixing in the box just makes much more sense for me.
I have little experience with mixers, as I'm sure some of you more experienced users have gathered. Still, the old: buy cheap - buy twice is something I find to be so true. Unless you get a super deal it allways applies. And a good preamp costs..

Mixing in the box is something I will do. Especially for finishing stuff. But I have this idea that a small quality mixer will really help me with getting recording, and do it more often and with less hassle. Maybe I'm beeing naive. Staring at a computer screen is something I'd like to leave for finishing demos (or gather tracks to be sent to a pro. mixer)

The internet (google) has become such a impenetrable advertising machine. The word "review" has lost it's meaning. I doubt all professionals "recommendations". Only a demanding user that spend hard earned money on gear can be trusted IMO.

Last edited by Northward; 02-09-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
I have little experience with mixers, as I'm sure some of you more experienced users have gathered. Still, the old: buy cheap - buy twice is something I find to be so true. Unless you get a super deal it allways applies. And a good preamp costs..

Mixing in the box is something I will do. Especially for finishing stuff. But I have this idea that a small quality mixer will really help me with getting recording, and do it more often and with less hassle. Maybe I'm beeing naive. Staring at a computer screen is something I'd like to leave for finishing demos (or gather tracks to be sent to a pro. mixer)

The internet (google) has become such a impenetrable advertising machine. The word "review" has lost it's meaning. I doubt all professionals recommendations (fake news). Only demanding users that spend their hard earned money on gear can be trusted.
Are you planning on recording onto a computer? If so, you will have your DAW up and running on the screen anyway so I don't quite understand what the benefit will be to have a hands-on analog mixer during recording (you basically just need to set the gain for your preamps and the level for your line level inputs and that can be done with basically any audio interface.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 02-09-2017, 02:42 PM

Get you something like a used TASCAM US-1800 and call it a day. You're going to have a DAW running, anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD