The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-08-2017, 06:44 PM
Guest 928

I went through a lot of attitude adjustment relative to sound hold placement. At first I found the offset holes to be aberrant, and to be avoided. But then, I played one, and ordered two. However, in retrospect I've come to the belief that while the offset is better for the player, it diminishes the projection to the audient. I could be wrong in this belief, but it's one I'm mulling.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:21 PM

Actually we did extensive testing on round soundholes and felt the tone to be too bright with limited bass compared to our current design. For now, we'll keep with the current soundhole designs.
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Guest 928

The nice thing about the offset sound hole is that it is a great placement for a tuner and controls. I've not heard any complaints regarding projection with the offset so my suspicion of diminished projection might be totally wrong.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

I posted this image before, but it was a treat to be in front of the X7 and X20 to hear the projection...

It was the first I've heard my guitars from the front. We swapped so I could hear each... well, and so my friend could play each of the Emeralds. I think the offset soundhole is better for the player, and doesn't affect the forward projection. Win/Win.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber