The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-04-2015, 06:00 PM

I play parties in big houses usually for 100 people. I use a Loudbox mini to play and sing thru. My Martin has the Aura system and its more than loud enough and sounds great. I also use a Heil Pr35 mic, which responds like a condenser, but better. The Loudbox mini is a work horse for sure.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:33 PM

Hi Guys, I´m from Brazil, sorry about my poor english.

There isn´t an amp store at my city where i can test some amps, so i´m watching tons of videos at youtube, trying to decide between Fishman loudbox Mini or Marshall AS50D.

I´m gonna use the amp to play at home and small gigs with friends, nothing professional. Both amps have enough power to me, and the bigger size of the marshall its not a problem to me. Marshall here is 25% cheaper, but the price i can handle it, the most important to me is get the better guitar/voice sound as possible.

My impression after have watched the youtube videos is that AS50D has a excessive "Metalic" guitar sound, almost "strident", while fishman has a warmer sound. At least trough the pc, it seemed much more pleased to me. Is that a real fact ?

In the other hand, i have read some relates saying that vocal is not a "pro" at fishman, maybe AS50D, give better results with vocal ?

I´d like to take the opportunity to ask you if my Epiphone sheraton 2 (semi hollow) has good chances combined with one of theses amps...

Thank you!!
Old 06-05-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrib View Post
Hi Guys, I´m from Brazil, sorry about my poor english.

There isn´t an amp store at my city where i can test some amps, so i´m watching tons of videos at youtube, trying to decide between Fishman loudbox Mini or Marshall AS50D.

I´m gonna use the amp to play at home and small gigs with friends, nothing professional. Both amps have enough power to me, and the bigger size of the marshall its not a problem to me. Marshall here is 25% cheaper, but the price i can handle it, the most important to me is get the better guitar/voice sound as possible.

My impression after have watched the youtube videos is that AS50D has a excessive "Metalic" guitar sound, almost "strident", while fishman has a warmer sound. At least trough the pc, it seemed much more pleased to me. Is that a real fact ?

In the other hand, i have read some relates saying that vocal is not a "pro" at fishman, maybe AS50D, give better results with vocal ?

I´d like to take the opportunity to ask you if my Epiphone sheraton 2 (semi hollow) has good chances combined with one of theses amps...

Thank you!!
Hello Dragonrib,

I bought the Marshall AS50D and found it to be functional. By that I mean it works, sounds good, and easy to setup. Good price for both guitar and voice. However, I have to say there is nothing special about that AS550D. I do not own a Fishman Loudbox, but I bought the Aura Spectrum. The Spectrum DI is a must have. With that I am able to plug my guitar direct to the PA and sounds good. The Spectrum makes my UST sound so natural I can even plug it onto any amp and it still sounds like my guitar. I even plugged my DI into a Fender Mustang electric amp and it works!
Old 06-05-2017, 10:06 PM

I'm a big fan of Fishmans Loudbox Mini for vocals, at least male tenor with a trend towards the baritone side. I use old EV ND257.mica and get a very delicate, condensor like sound with good character and excellent treble body. That is smooth, airy and not metallic sounding unless I'm running at very high levels.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:46 AM

Default Fishman Loudbox Mini or Marshall AS50D better for vocal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymel View Post
I really dont understand Roland's AC series. Sound is so-so. Outlook is crappy-sushi and their price is unrealibly high.
Marshall As 50 d is nice, but heavy to carry. Now i wait for My Fishman mini (after having Marshall As50d and roland AC60).

When I had my Roland AC60, I found that since it didn't have any tweeters, that it was lacking in highs for vocals. I replaced the speakers with high end car audio speakers with center mounted tweeters. The sound went from being so-so to spectacular.

Recently I replaced the speakers in my Roland Street Cube EX with Jensen Mod 8-4 speakers. The jump in sound quality was striking. I don't know what it is with Roland and mediocre speaker components. Aside from that I really like their amps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2017, 12:04 PM

I'd sure give the new Roland amp a try. Very nice to have a delay/echo option on the vocal channel!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...FVBhfgodKEQP0w
Old 06-06-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I'd sure give the new Roland amp a try. Very nice to have a delay/echo option on the vocal channel!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...FVBhfgodKEQP0w
Definitely. And the sound quality is just amazing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification