The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-03-2015, 10:24 PM

Default Fishman Loudbox Mini or Marshall AS50D better for vocal?

I sold my Marshall AS50D and experimented with a PA system but found it inconvenient. My guitar goes through a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI and I'm going back to an acoustic amp for both guitar and vocal. I'm looking for a new amp around the same price range as AS50D but would like to know which is more versatile for both guitar and vocal. I'm considering the Loudbox mini but some reviews say it's dead sounding for vocal. Any recommendations? Thanks
Old 01-03-2015, 10:31 PM

I bought a Loudbox Mini. I have not used it at a gig yet because I haven't got any, but I have used it in a large room in my house with my guitar and microphone on my voice and it sounds natural to me. I do not have to use a preamp with it for my guitar, either. I have a KK Mini pickup in my guitar and I plug it right into the instrument input. The EQ on the amp is very good at making the guitar sound completely natural! Fishman really got it right. The only other amp I tried was a Roland AC40 and it didn't sound as natural with my guitar so I didn't try it with vocals. Sam Ash only had those 2 amps (and the larger Loudbox) when I was shopping, but the Fishman sounded perfect so I didn't go anywhere else. Go try it at the store. You might want to bring your vocal mic with you.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 01-03-2015, 10:42 PM

Hi YamaYairi,
I was thinking of going with Loudbox mini since I've had the AS50D. I considered Roland but luckily you mentioned it. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspencer View Post
Hi YamaYairi,
I was thinking of going with Loudbox mini since I've had the AS50D. I considered Roland but luckily you mentioned it. Thanks for your suggestion.
I really dont understand Roland's AC series. Sound is so-so. Outlook is crappy-sushi and their price is unrealibly high.
Marshall As 50 d is nice, but heavy to carry. Now i wait for My Fishman mini (after having Marshall As50d and roland AC60).
Old 01-03-2015, 11:17 PM

Do you need an amp stand for the Loudbox mini? The AS50D sounded better on a stand though.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:38 AM

I mainly run through a P.A. but I do use an amp once in a while at really small solo events. Mine is a Roland. I think it's an AC60. It is small and sounds pretty good to me. It has chorus, reverb, delay, feedback eliminator, etc.
I have run my Martin with fishman aura plus with okay results but my Breedlove with LR Baggs and my Ovation ADii with OP Pro sound better through this small amp.
The vocal mic that works best is an Audix OM2. Shures didn't sound big enough. Audix OM5, my choice on a large P.A., was a little small sounding as well.
I play out in two bands currently and have for years. I have done so for over 25 years. I play rock in a full band using PRS and Gibson electrics through a pretty large system and I play in an acoustic trio through a small system (one old Crest professional series 2000 watt power amp, Yamaha OM2 mixer, two JBLs on stands with a 15 and a horn each, in-ear monitors). My humble opinion is that there is no substitute for quality, size, headroom, and wattage.
That being said, when I go really small, the Roland works as good as anything I've tried that is close to its size.
Just like pickups and strings affect your guitar tone, your vocal mic affects your vocal tone. Different amps and voices work better with different mics. Maybe experiment with some different mics?
Just my .02
Jeff
Old 01-04-2015, 01:57 AM

Examples of a large and a small gig for me.

Jeff
Old 01-04-2015, 02:09 AM

Hi Jeff,
My Martin comes with an Aura F1 which wasn't good enough so I bought a Spectrum DI. It sounds awesome on the PA. The mic I'm using belongs to my friend. Not sure what brand. It's interesting you mentioned Shure because I was going to buy SM57 with windscreen. You reckon Shure won't work well with small amps? I'm pretty much aiming for Loudbox mini. I might get a cheaper mic if that's the case. This setup is mainly for jam sessions. And if gigging, I'll XLR the amp to the main PA.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Hi Jeff,
My Martin comes with an Aura F1 which wasn't good enough so I bought a Spectrum DI. It sounds awesome on the PA. The mic I'm using belongs to my friend. Not sure what brand. It's interesting you mentioned Shure because I was going to buy SM57 with windscreen. You reckon Shure won't work well with small amps? I'm pretty much aiming for Loudbox mini. I might get a cheaper mic if that's the case. This setup is mainly for jam sessions. And if gigging, I'll XLR the amp to the main PA.
It is all subjective. I own over 30 guitars. I have several amps. Too many mics to count. They all have their uses.
My problem with Shure 57s and 58s is that they are an old design that hasn't changed for decades and technology has improved for stage mics IMO. I love old guitars. I love old cars and motorcycles as well.
I wouldn't expect my 57 Chevy, my 71 Mustang, my 66 Harley to perform with a new Corvette or a Ducatti. It seems you are after performance, right?
My advice is to find a music store that will let you try several mics at gig volume through several amps and pick the one that fits your voice and singing style.
Then buy the items from that store even if the price is higher the online. Support music stores. We need them and they need us.
Many pros swear by 57s and 58s. I use them sometimes as well. They were the best option decades ago and still a fine option for many applications.
I wouldn't dismiss the Roland. Look what changing pickups in your acoustic did for you!
The Aura is great on a large P.A., BTW. Tons of headroom if you need volume. On a small P.A. or through an amp, I prefer some of my others most of the time.
The room size, reflections, crowd size, etc. also change the sound. I play in different situations all the time and I am constantly adjusting.
I hope this helps....
Best of luck!
Jeff
Old 01-04-2015, 02:37 AM

OVERVIEW
A great sounding vocal mic for a friendly price.
Designed, assembled and tested in Wilsonville, Oregon, the OM2 is a dynamic vocal microphone used for a wide variety of live, home and studio applications. The OM2 utilizes a tight, uniform pattern, which helps isolate vocals from the other instruments on stage. This provides outstanding feedback rejection and allows vocals to cut through the mix.

Designed with a slight bass proximity and a tailored mid-range, the OM2 has a full-bodied sound on small to mid-sized PA systems while retaining true sound on large or professional PA systems.

With a wide frequency range of 50 Hz - 16 kHz, the OM2 employs a VLM diaphragm for a clear, precise sound with exceptional voice response. The OM2 is manufactured with a precision die cast zinc alloy body, beautiful black E-coat finish, and durable spring steel mesh grill to provide years of rock solid reliability. Includes heavy-duty nylon clip and carrying pouch.
FEATURES
Excellent isolation for maximum feedback rejection, helping vocals cut through the mix
Warm, full sound optimized for small to mid-size PA systems
Handles high SPLs without distortion
SPECIFICATIONS
OM2 Microphone
Polar Pattern: Hypercardioid
Freq. Response: 50Hz – 16kHz
Impedance: 290 ohms
Sensitivity: 1.6 mV/Pa @1kHz
Rejection: >25dB
Max SPL: ≥140dB

I like this mic because it was designed for small systems. Great proximity effect to add some lows. I would recommend starting with this mic if you can't AB several mics.
Don't hate me if you hate the mic! Opinions are like...you know....lol
Jeff
Old 01-04-2015, 04:28 AM

Hi Jeff,

I'm now looking around for mics. It was good of you to use strings and pickups to explain how tone can be affected by different mics. Thank you.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Hi Jeff,

I'm now looking around for mics. It was good of you to use strings and pickups to explain how tone can be affected by different mics. Thank you.
When I tried the Loudbox Mini at Sam Ash, I used a SM57 as a vocal mic and it sounded decent, but the vocal mic I use is an Audix OM5, which has wonderful sound. I also tried it at home with a Audio Technica AT-813 condenser mic (no longer available) and it sounded great. I also tried the AT condenser mic into the instrument input, using a balanced to unbalanced transformer with the guitar so I could see if I could use it with my guitars that don't have a pickup, and it sounded great. I had the amp on the floor. You will ge better bass with the amp on the floor. I would not bother with a stand, I would bring along a milk crate and use that if needed.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 01-04-2015, 11:48 AM

You absolutely want to get an amp up off the floor if you're playing any live situation, unless it's a library. Gotta get that sound source up closer to ear level.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 01-04-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
When I tried the Loudbox Mini at Sam Ash, I used a SM57 as a vocal mic and it sounded decent, but the vocal mic I use is an Audix OM5, which has wonderful sound. I also tried it at home with a Audio Technica AT-813 condenser mic (no longer available) and it sounded great. I also tried the AT condenser mic into the instrument input, using a balanced to unbalanced transformer with the guitar so I could see if I could use it with my guitars that don't have a pickup, and it sounded great. I had the amp on the floor. You will ge better bass with the amp on the floor. I would not bother with a stand, I would bring along a milk crate and use that if needed.
OM5 is my favorite on the larger systems. Great mic for my voice.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
You absolutely want to get an amp up off the floor if you're playing any live situation, unless it's a library. Gotta get that sound source up closer to ear level.
This.
My Roland has a hole in the bottom for a speaker stand. Off the floor is a must.
Jeff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification