The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-20-2017, 03:44 PM

Default Battery powered mini mixers with FX

Anybody know of any small, battery powered (or usb powered via a usb power bank), mini mixer? 2 channel, Mic and instrument minimum and as many level matching options as possible please.

I'm considering putting together an experimental system that's been suggested a number of times as an alternative to the inverter/battery/charger systems I use. This system would be a Car audio amp, directly powered by a battery and would need some sort of mixer or pre as a front end.

I'll probably us my Zoom R24 for my experiment (anyone ever use a Tascam DP008ex as a mixer?) but I'd like to know what the options are. Right now, I know little about these little boxes.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:54 PM

I built something similar a few years ago. I used a Dual XPA2100 300 watt automotive amplifier, a Rolls MiniMix A/V MX56C 4 channel mixer, and a small UPS/emergency lighting 12 volt battery. The mixer came from B & H Photo and does not offer any effects. Its power supply voltage can handle quite a DC range. It has a compartment for a 9 volt battery, but I have connected it to the same 12 volt battery for the amp. When I connected a DC ammeter, I noticed virtually no idle current. It only drew current when striking a guitar string or speaking in the mic, ie. when it had something to amplify. Worked great. I used a motorcycle battery charger to charge the battery. Mike
Old 06-21-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquerade View Post
I built something similar a few years ago. I used a Dual XPA2100 300 watt automotive amplifier, a Rolls MiniMix A/V MX56C 4 channel mixer, and a small UPS/emergency lighting 12 volt battery. The mixer came from B & H Photo and does not offer any effects. Its power supply voltage can handle quite a DC range. It has a compartment for a 9 volt battery, but I have connected it to the same 12 volt battery for the amp. When I connected a DC ammeter, I noticed virtually no idle current. It only drew current when striking a guitar string or speaking in the mic, ie. when it had something to amplify. Worked great. I used a motorcycle battery charger to charge the battery. Mike
It sounds like your system was pretty small. What'd you use for a speaker? Did you have it in a self built cab? What kind of runtime did you get and how did it sound? Could you get loud?

I'm looking at power amps now and its not easy to find simple two channel amps that are bridgeable, that aren't subwoofer amps that is. I'm thinking of using a vintage Carver amp, mostly because I'm familiar with their home/commercial audio amps ) and its 2 chan bridgeable).

If there's any advice you can give me, I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:12 PM

This is exactly how I use my Boss VE-8. Yes it has looper and harmonizer functions, but I have yet to use them live. My main purpose for using this pedal is as a mixer which lets me get the best sound out of my mic and guitar. If it (or any other similar device) would let me mix in a second microphone for the singer I work with, I would be over the moon happy!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2017, 12:32 PM

There is the Zoom A3. It'll do as a rudimentary two channel mixer. Thanks for letting me remember that.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:49 PM

One of my buddies used an earlier model of this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...-compact-mixer

Mackie has one with a single mic in plus several other inputs: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mix5

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 06-21-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
There is the Zoom A3. It'll do as a rudimentary two channel mixer. Thanks for letting me remember that.

Is the XLR input on the Zoom A3 designed or recommended for a vocal mic? My understanding is that it is mainly there to mix in a guitar mic? How good is it for a blend of guitar (pickup) and vocals?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2017, 06:53 PM

iIve never used one, just going by the advertising/website copy which clearly suggests you can mix in a vocal, though I did wonder how dreadnaught modelling would sound on one.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:12 PM

Yes it was pretty small. The amp is bridgeable, and can drive a sub. I built it as a fun project to use at out church family camp. I used a home stereo speaker, and it sounded pretty good, with plenty of volume. My bass man used it with a bass cabinet, and it worked pretty good for that, too. Longest I used it was about 1.5 hrs. and it didn't take very long to recharge. I believe it was an 8 amp hour battery, and if I remember, I figured it would probably last about 4-6 hrs.
Pretty basic, but fun, and worked good for what I needed. Mike
Old 06-21-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquerade View Post
Yes it was pretty small. The amp is bridgeable, and can drive a sub. I built it as a fun project to use at out church family camp. I used a home stereo speaker, and it sounded pretty good, with plenty of volume. My bass man used it with a bass cabinet, and it worked pretty good for that, too. Longest I used it was about 1.5 hrs. and it didn't take very long to recharge. I believe it was an 8 amp hour battery, and if I remember, I figured it would probably last about 4-6 hrs.
Pretty basic, but fun, and worked good for what I needed. Mike
Did you sing through it as well? If so, do you remember which speaker you used?
Old 06-22-2017, 01:29 PM

It looks like this product is just one more request that, other than forcing equipt designed to do something else or powering an AC only device yourself, a 'Made in China by some questionable company you've never heard of' only solution.

I found a $58 thing on Amazon that suits but it only has reverb on channel one.
I guess I could use two of these.

Maybe I can find a Tascam DP008ex for around $100. Any body know of one?
Old 06-22-2017, 07:42 PM

I think the R24 would be excellent for this function. I used one as a front end for a number of gigs.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 06-22-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I think the R24 would be excellent for this function. I used one as a front end for a number of gigs.

Fran
I have as well and it works but its awfully valuable for my project and its too big for what I'd like as well. I'm hoping to build a wooden case form the whole enterprise, battery, amp, speaker cab and mixer and I'd like it to be inconspicuous and small, but quality looking. We'll see how close I get.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:24 PM

Danny, have you considered the TC Play Acoustic as your mixer/front end? I vaguely remember you having one. You can use a 12V switchable laptop Li Ion rechargeable battery. You will need to reverse polarity or the power cable. All the effects you could ever need are in there.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Danny, have you considered the TC Play Acoustic as your mixer/front end? I vaguely remember you having one. You can use a 12V switchable laptop Li Ion rechargeable battery. You will need to reverse polarity or the power cable. All the effects you could ever need are in there.

No Dave, I don't have one of those and while I know it would be great for this project (especially for most people) I have a good reason to not play with really expensive accessory sized things with this particular build. This one I actually want to have looking obviously plugged together and not flashy at all. I don't want the smaller pieces stolen and I'm afraid it might happen.

The case can look good but I want the pre to have as little and non-flashy looking a presentation as possible. That's why I'll probably use the little tascam, which has knobs, instead of my Zoom which looks much more $$.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification