The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-05-2017, 02:42 PM

Default Using LR Baggs PARA DI w/ Session

OK after reading tons of posts here and other places on the WWW and talking to LR Baggs tech person, I have decided to buy the Session and use it with my PARA DI. My questions are:

1) Which order should I put them in? My only other pedal is a tuner.
guitar>tuner>???>???

Also, which unit would I be setting the gain and volume on, the one coming after my tuner or the one at the end of the chain?

I use the Element pickup in my guitars if that makes a difference to anybody.

Thanks so much for your help.
Gina
Old 06-05-2017, 03:13 PM

Either after the tuner is fine but most people put the Session last so the effects affect the eq'd signal. I'd set the gain through your para first then set the gain through your session accordingly.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 06-05-2017, 03:34 PM

Using both pedals does set you up for some redundancy, but I assume that you're getting the session to fix something you can't completely fix with the Para DI's EQ. Given that that's the case, you'd be best off putting the Session after the Para DI, coming out of the 1/4" output of the Para DI. This way, you'll have whatever EQ choices you've made on the Para DI going into the Session for it do its automatic EQ and compression stuff on. If you put it in the Para Di's FX loop, you'll be putting it before the Para DI's EQ section, rather than after it, and that makes less sense given the automatic, real-time way in which the Session makes changes to your signal.

Use the XLR DI out on the Session to go to a mixer.

It doesn't really matter where you put the tuner (ahead of the Para DI, in the Para DI FX loop, between the Para DI 1/4" output and the Session, would be your choices).

You will have to set the gain correctly on the input of the Para DI, then set the output volume with the input gain on the Session in mind. The output volume on the Session will then have to be set with the input on the mixer in mind.

Louis

Last edited by lschwart; 06-05-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
Either after the tuner is fine but most people put the Session last so the effects affect the eq'd signal. I'd set the gain through your para first then set the gain through your session accordingly.

Thank you so much. This makes sense to me. I really appreciate your help.

Gina
Old 06-05-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Using both pedals does set you up for some redundancy, but I assume that you're getting the session to fix something you can't completely fix with the Para DI's EQ. Given that that's the case, you'd be best off putting the Session after the Para DI, coming out of the 1/4" output of the Para DI. This way, you'll have whatever EQ choices you've made on the Para DI going into the Session for it do its automatic EQ and compression stuff on. If you put it in the Para Di's FX loop, you'll be putting it before the Para DI's EQ section, rather than after it, and that makes last sense given the automatic, real-time way in which the Session makes changes to your signal.

Use the XLR DI out on the Session to go to a mixer.

It doesn't really matter where you put the tuner (ahead of the Para DI, in the Para DI FX loop, between the Para DI 1/4" output and the Session, would be your choices).

You will have to set the gain correctly on the input of the Para DI, then set the output volume with the input gain on the Session in mind. The output volume on the Session will then have to be set with the input on the mixer in mind.

Louis
Hi Louis, thanks so much for your detailed response. I really appreciate it.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villalobos View Post
Hi Louis, thanks so much for your detailed response. I really appreciate it.
You're welcome! Let us know how it goes.

Louis
Old 06-06-2017, 04:38 PM

I am here to report that I didn't like the results of pairing the PARA and Session. The Session added a color I didn't like (when paired it with my PARA DI).

Also, I had a shoot out between the Session and the PARA. PARA sounded way better to me....way more acoustic sounding.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
para acoustic di, session acoustic di