The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-28-2017, 04:08 AM

Default Feedback issues?

I am considering a Rainsong WS1000N1. I like all the features and indifference to climate and temperatures it offers, but I am concerned that with the abscence of bracing there is nothing to control feedback when using it on stage. I gig an avg of 8-10 per month, use a bit more bass in my guitar eq than most and sometimes have pretty good stage volumes so I have to always consider possible feedback issues when buying a different guitar. How is the WS on stage? Is the CF rigid enough to control the guitar without bracing or is it more prone to feedback? Your input is appreciated.

2004 Taylor 712 Baggs Anthem SL
2019 Taylor 717e Builders Edition ES2
2016 Huss & Dalton TOM-M w/Baggs M-1
2019 Martin Custom Shop OMCE Blaze Burst w/Fishman Matrix Enhance
2019 Martin OM28 Modern Deluxe
Old 03-28-2017, 05:21 AM

I don't think it is any better or worse than a similar wooden guitar with the same pickup.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-28-2017, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

I just pop in a feedback buster insert into the sound hole and haven't had any feedback issues even at high volumes on stage with a full band using my Rainsong Black Ice OM.

Last edited by doodahdoug; 03-28-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:56 PM

I have a WS1000 bought in 2001, so an N1 neck. It has the Fishman blender onboard (piezo and mic). Adjusted properly it is the best sounding guitar that I have ever heard through the stage monitors.

Never had any feedback issues, something I cannot say about my wood guitars. I mostly play solo or duet, but sometimes I've played with an electric bar band too.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm still in deciding mode but this was an important part.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:25 PM

All guitars feedback. My Martin are worse then my carbon acoustic. Thinner tops. Try moving away from your amp or face it a different direction. I use the notch filters on my boss acoustic preamp or on my CA. worse comes to worse I find the offending frequency on knock it out on my boss graphic equalizer. Remember the feedback is coming from the top of the guitar vibrating. I rest my hand below the bridge to stop it at times. Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
All guitars feedback. My Martin are worse then my carbon acoustic. Thinner tops. Try moving away from your amp or face it a different direction. I use the notch filters on my boss acoustic preamp or on my CA. worse comes to worse I find the offending frequency on knock it out on my boss graphic equalizer. Remember the feedback is coming from the top of the guitar vibrating. I rest my hand below the bridge to stop it at times. Hope this helps.
Thanks Doc. I have a pretty good understanding of what causes and how to control the feedback from years and years of playing live. I was wondering how the Rainsong WS does without any bracing on the top to help control it. As you said, feedback comes from the top vibrating. Bracing helps control this. Without bracing it is basically an empty cavern with all those frequencies bouncing around unchecked. Seems like a recipe for exceptional feedback potential. It's always nice to hear from others about their specific experiences before plunking down the bucks on a "wing and a prayer".

Through much trial and error, I have found guitars that I can play live that I don't need to use feedback busters with or rely on tone changing notch filters to control feedback. This is important to me and I'm sure to everyone who plays live. When thinking about a radically different guitar than I'm used to it's nice to have an idea of what to expect. It sounds like the Rainsong WS is no better or worse than most other guitars. I think I will continue to use what I have and readdress the composite guitar idea at a later date. Again, thanks for all the helpful thoughts on this.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:15 PM

I'm happy you found my post helpful. Just played my mother funeral
(Sad). I set up and did a level check. But at sound check the director wanted my guitar louder. I was wrestling the beast (Martin j 12-40) s through the service.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:56 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
(Sad). I set up and did a level check. But at sound check the director wanted my guitar louder. I was wrestling the beast (Martin j 12-40) s through the service.
Sorry moosedog, I have nothing to help you. Having read GuitarDoc's post about having just lost his mother (my condolences GD), I can't help but say that I delivered the eulogy and played at my mother's funeral on March 24th. It was tough to get through. At my Mom's request, I played a song I had written for my parents for their 25th wedding anniversary in 1980. The chapel had real good acoustics, so I just performed sans amplification of any sort, no mics. It worked out very well. My Mom would be proud of me, as are my family and friends.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Sorry about losing your mom Doc. I admire your ability to play at her funeral. I couldn't at either my sisters or my dads. Take care and let the music heal.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

This thread left a bit ol' lump in my throat. And, not about the feedback.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:03 PM

Default Sorry for...

..your sorrow. At my work we often listen to Steve Jobs Stanford address where he addresses life and death in a hopeful way about half way through the speech.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber