The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM

Default trouble with barre chords

I have trouble playing barre chords and tried playing 4 string F major and...its painful.

How much time does it take to learn this? And what is the right way of playing? Thanks!
Old 03-28-2013, 02:00 PM

I think I've just completed the learning phase. I've been working pretty hard at the E shape bar chord for around 6 months.

I would say at this point I have the strength and dexterity to hit it 8 times out of 10 in time. I started out with the "mini bar" 4 string version which got me through for the time being until I had the strength and accuracy for the full bar.

It took time
It wasn't exactly pleasant, but now I can move that shape all over the neck. Opened up things I never throught of (as a beginner).
Hang in there.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 03-28-2013, 02:17 PM

Saw this on another forum today as well. You got some good answers, but it takes practice and in a very short time, bingo it comes.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:28 PM

Barre chords are a tricky thing. I have been playing my whole life and I really do not like them and almost never use them. You will find some good threads on here on using partial barre chords. I would give it a chance over the next few months and if it doesnt come, maybe you just arent built for it. I, certainly, am not. I detest them and avoid them. Partial barre chords are a great alternative.

To really master the barre chord, you need to have that first finger strong so that you can use your other fingers to hammer on and off and finger. Tommy Emmanuel makes it seem easy. It isnt.

So stick with it and build up your strength. I gave up years ago, yeh, I can do a simple barre chord, but I choose not to. They don't ring much and I like it to ring.

Simple barre chords, however, you will master fairly easily with practice. Its holding those strings down with the first finger and doing something with the other fingers that might be not so easy.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 PM

It can take weeks, maybe months. I'm pretty comfortable with a mini-barre F now, but full barres are still hit or miss (more hit than miss nowadays, but still ...).

Both practice and strengthening are needed; I assume that's why it takes so long.
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 03-29-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBoss1 View Post
I have trouble playing barre chords and tried playing 4 string F major and...its painful.

How much time does it take to learn this? And what is the right way of playing? Thanks!
Make sure your guitar is set up properly, use a set of light strings and your ready to continue playing. If you still have trouble that means you have not build up enough strength at this point.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

IMO if you already do some other things on the guitar, i.e. you know how to hold a guitar and do some chord fretting, you should be able to add barre chords almost immediately - like day one. The idea that it takes weeks or months to learn is very misleading.
But:
1. The guitar action setup needs to be decent (if in doubt buy a Taylor guitar ).
2. You need to use the right technique. All of this has been covered in many prior barre threads which you could read.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-29-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
IMO if you already do some other things on the guitar, i.e. you know how to hold a guitar and do some chord fretting, you should be able to add barre chords almost immediately - like day one. The idea that it takes weeks or months to learn is very misleading.
But:
1. The guitar action setup needs to be decent (if in doubt buy a Taylor guitar ).
2. You need to use the right technique. All of this has been covered in many prior barre threads which you could read.
Oh, if only it were so! I've been playing for dozens of years and have REALLY tried to crack them. I've tried every position, finger angle, strenthening excercises (I play around 1-2 hours every day anyway) and, short of swinging from the chandelier I've covered the lot. My guitar mates have tried to help as have 2 guitar teachers. My very inflexible fingers and wrists do not allow it. Yes, I can get a barre chord down occasionally but its hit and miss and on fingerstyle thats no good. And I have a taylor 310ce which is well set up.

So, keep practicing because it is definitely a big hole in my playing options (although I have developed a few workarounds instead). But my experience and talking to fellow guitarists is that it can take weeks, months or even years so don't give up. And if eventually, like me, it just doesn't happen, don't beat yourself up about it; I'll never be a pro basketball player either, but I can still throw a ball!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBoss1 View Post
Hi GB1...

If I listen to students, it takes a lifetime-plus-one and the right way to play a Barred F chord is the way that all the strings ring clear.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselynne View Post
It can take weeks, maybe months. I'm pretty comfortable with a mini-barre F now, but full barres are still hit or miss (more hit than miss nowadays, but still ...).

Both practice and strengthening are needed; I assume that's why it takes so long.
I actually think full barre F is easier than mini-barre F.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfingerjohn View Post
Oh, if only it were so! I've been playing for dozens of years and have REALLY tried to crack them. I've tried every position, finger angle, strenthening excercises (I play around 1-2 hours every day anyway) and, short of swinging from the chandelier I've covered the lot. My guitar mates have tried to help as have 2 guitar teachers. My very inflexible fingers and wrists do not allow it. Yes, I can get a barre chord down occasionally but its hit and miss and on fingerstyle thats no good. And I have a taylor 310ce which is well set up.

So, keep practicing because it is definitely a big hole in my playing options (although I have developed a few workarounds instead). But my experience and talking to fellow guitarists is that it can take weeks, months or even years so don't give up. And if eventually, like me, it just doesn't happen, don't beat yourself up about it; I'll never be a pro basketball player either, but I can still throw a ball!
You could be an exception as one who will never do a barre chord well (there are always exceptions), but really, what is it that you think that one learns about barres after weeks, months and years that could not have been learned almost immediately?
Also if a teacher was telling me it takes week, months, years, I would be looking for another teacher.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
You could be an exception as one who will never do a barre chord well (there are always exceptions), but really, what is it that you think that one learns about barres after weeks, months and years that could not have been learned almost immediately?
Also if a teacher was telling me it takes week, months, years, I would be looking for another teacher.
Hi,

Don't want this to be an argument as there's no point. I totally agree that it doesn't take much time to 'know what you should be doing' and then practice it. The point is that some unlucky people find that physically it is not achievable; simple as that. And even practice every day for months sometimes can't overcome the physical problem that some of us have. If you are one of the lucky ones who managed it in a few days that's great. But if you read many other posts on similar threads you will find that many people are like me and just can't do it no matter how hard they try.

What I was trying to do with the person who started this thread was a) to encourage them to keep practising and not get fed up if it doesn't happen straight away; and, even if it takes some time, keep at it. But b) if eventually you can't do them, don't beat yourself up about it as you will not be alone.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 AM

I already replied to this on TGP.
Additional views to the above (all good):
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho....php?t=1239896
Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAEL MYERS View Post
I actually think full barre F is easier than mini-barre F.
I agree...
Old 03-29-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Nobody can actually play barres immediately, that's the point. Everybody struggles with F, at least. Intellectually, and in principle, it's straightforward, but that doesn't mean your fingers will obey you.
Some struggle for longer than others (the older the beginner the longer it takes, in my experience), but I've never known anyone get it "almost immediately".
It's something your hands have to learn, which takes time. It may take a lot of experiment - eg with index finger shape, angle and position - but mainly it's repetition of the exercise that slowly trains your hand to get it working.
Quote:
If they said years, I might agree, but months is quite possible, even likely, and that's just being honest.
Of course, it depends on the age of the learner, and how many hours of practice per week/day they can do. Obsessive teenagers will get it quickly, in weeks or even days.
I teach adult beginners, and few of them have mastered barre chords after two months. They tend to have a hell of a job just straightening their index finger while they have to curl the others.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write