The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-21-2017, 09:12 AM

Yamaha Pacifica 112V.

I’ve never owned my own electric. I’m taking the plunge. Really, I know almost nothing about electric guitar techniques.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
The last thing I need is more.....but....but I am really thinking I "need" a Carr Mercury V. I am going to sell some stuff I do not use. I have convinced myself that I would be clearing some unused stuff out in order to buy a single item. Make sense? Prob not but that's my story and I am sticking to it when she who must be obeyed objects.
I' ve been through 50 amps, and the Carr Skylark is the best I've heard yet.
I want a Strymon Zuma power source, and I've never experienced an addiction like Gretsch electric guitars! (Saw Brian Setzer Xmas show last weekend!!!)
Old 12-21-2017, 04:07 PM

Hey Aknow- That Skylark is awesome. If I did not have Fender noises covered in spades it would be first. But who knows how the gods of gas work? After the Mercury V, I may be losing some Fender and Fendery noise makers for one. Small Complaint- I wish their amps looked normal instead of like something from the Jetsons cartoon.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Electro Harmonix Canyon pedal.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Hey Aknow- That Skylark is awesome. If I did not have Fender noises covered in spades it would be first. But who knows how the gods of gas work? After the Mercury V, I may be losing some Fender and Fendery noise makers for one. Small Complaint- I wish their amps looked normal instead of like something from the Jetsons cartoon.
Their cab designs are kind of weird. You should see my Fender Vaporizer if you want to go Jetson's. Unfortunately they gave it bad sound. I have a '69 Fender Twin I want to jettison.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetaruke View Post
Yamaha Pacifica 112V.

I’ve never owned my own electric. I’m taking the plunge. Really, I know almost nothing about electric guitar techniques.
Start a thread when you're ready to buy, or after you've bought your first electric. There's a lot of us here who would like to read about someone's first electric. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2018, 09:00 AM

Guitar wise I’d like to have a decent guitar with 2 humbuckers for which I will probably sell my Ibanez RG350mdx to help pay for. I would love a 335 or something similar and recently tried an Ibanez AS73 - though I would probably try to go for the AS93 just for the better woods and pickups. If money was no object I would love a classic PRS with flame maple top, tremolo and double humbuckers but I have some stuff I need to sort before I am once again in that price bracket!

Amp wise I need to get a mid-power amp at some point. I have a VOX AC4tv at home which sounds amazing and is even good for quieter rehearsals and/or venues. My Duncan 84-40 is showing its age though and probably wouldn’t survive many more trips to gigs etc (fragile circuit board due to age according to my amp doctor friend who rebuilt it in the first place). My ideal would be a nice 65 Deluxe Reverb RI though I am starting to lean towards a Supersonic.

Pedal wise. Well to be honest if I get any more pedals I really need to get a bigger board as even now I have at least 4 that don’t fit on the board (Carl Martin Compressor, JDX Reactor, Hotshot I/O and Boss TR-2 tremolo). It would be nice with a Tube Screamer though I don’t really know which one to look out for in the for sale ads - but they do come up often even here in Sweden!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-14-2018, 09:32 AM

Do picks and strings count?

In recent weeks I've looked at new electronics, for a moment had stupid financial thoughts over a used Jaguar. Friday night and yesterday I played my "Thin Skin" FSR Telecaster and Collings electric. I was reminded of why I think I'm at 5 years of GAS free.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:49 AM

As odd as this may sound, after all these years of playing it certainly sounds odd to me, I'm pretty content with my set up.

I keep looking at Craigs List anyway and if something interesting shows up I might jump on it but I've got the OD, Fuzz, Modulation, and so on that I'm actually pretty happy with. I still can't believe I said that
Old 01-16-2018, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Actually I decided just a few days ago to get into a wet/dry type of two amp system. To take advantage of my two amps

As such I am going to start with a buffered splitter to route one side (for one amp) to my delay pedal and then have an amp switcher box as the final unit out to the two amps .

So I am getting this buffered JHS splitter https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BuffSplit

And this Lehle switcher https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LittleDual

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-16-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Guitar wise I’d like to have a decent guitar with 2 humbuckers for which I will probably sell my Ibanez RG350mdx to help pay for. I would love a 335 or something similar and recently tried an Ibanez AS73 - though I would probably try to go for the AS93 just for the better woods and pickups. If money was no object I would love a classic PRS with flame maple top, tremolo and double humbuckers but I have some stuff I need to sort before I am once again in that price bracket!

Amp wise I need to get a mid-power amp at some point. I have a VOX AC4tv at home which sounds amazing and is even good for quieter rehearsals and/or venues. My Duncan 84-40 is showing its age though and probably wouldn’t survive many more trips to gigs etc (fragile circuit board due to age according to my amp doctor friend who rebuilt it in the first place). My ideal would be a nice 65 Deluxe Reverb RI though I am starting to lean towards a Supersonic.

Pedal wise. Well to be honest if I get any more pedals I really need to get a bigger board as even now I have at least 4 that don’t fit on the board (Carl Martin Compressor, JDX Reactor, Hotshot I/O and Boss TR-2 tremolo). It would be nice with a Tube Screamer though I don’t really know which one to look out for in the for sale ads - but they do come up often even here in Sweden!
Hey, how are ya Pieter? How's the Swedish winter treating you? That PRS sounds sweet but it is $$$. I prefer no tremolo myself though.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey, how are ya Pieter? How's the Swedish winter treating you? That PRS sounds sweet but it is $$$. I prefer no tremolo myself though.

I’m good thanks! The Swedish winter has been very kind to us so far (which means the snow came for the first time this winter yesterday, so no white Christmas ha ha). Car booked in for service today so finally got to the theatre a few minutes ago after digging out the car and then slow traffic into town! Now to fast-rig for lunch concert...

To be honest I’m not stuck on having a tremolo, I have my US Strat for that if it’s needed. There are a couple of hard tail PRS in used lists that look lovely but as you say, they are expensive and I don’t have the funds just now. I am also looking at maybe getting a semi-hollow 335 style and I really like the thin bodied Ibanez models. There is a Hagström Super Viking for a decent price locally too which might be interesting...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-17-2018, 03:22 AM

I'm waiting to see what new products show up at NAMM...but I just bought a Diezel VH4-2 pedal and it's spectacular!

http://diezelusa.com/diezelpedals/diezel-vh4-pedal-2
Old 01-18-2018, 10:09 PM

Default What Electric Guitar gear are you looking to buy?

Guitar - Taylor T5z - very versatile from acoustic to jazz to rock all in one package. It’s my go to electric unless it’s a hard rock session - then it’s my custom Les Paul clone. Amps are very personal. I prefer tube based amps as rock grew up on them and they also sound great with acoustics. I have a Fender Hotrod Deville 410 and it works for everything. Pedals - I’m a BOSS fan and I’d start with a TU-3 Chromatic Tuner and a NS-2 Noise Suppressor. Then add your favorites.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

Last edited by BT55; 01-18-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

It's here!

newneckb.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
OK, Merry Christmas to me. This thread pushed me to buy a replacement neck from Warmoth, rather than try to re-fret my original Strat neck. It won't be an exact replacement - slightly larger fingerboard radius (9" vs. 7.25"), ebony instead of maple, stainless frets and TUSQ nut, but if I really don't like it for some reason, I can still get my original neck re-fretted later, and meanwhile still have an electric guitar to play.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars