The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-24-2020, 09:45 PM

Default NGD yamaha

The Yamaha Revstar RS502 arrived today. Guitar was well packed and the package content was warm when it arrived. I took an hour to open it up completely.

First impressions so I'll be short. Every component to the guitar is top shelf. Machine heads are outstanding. Wrap around tailpiece is impressive. The neck feels different. It's a chunk for my smallish hands and bad thumb. Fret work is flawless and the jumbo frets are not obnoxious as I had feared. Its a great neck and playability out of the box is very good. P90 pickups are lively.!! Man. This thing would cut through a vault door if there was music inside. They are impressive and will take some time to grow accustomed to. I would say this is truly a..... Lead Guitar. Very clean and articulate tone.

I have to say the the upper frets are in play.!! The carving around the set-in neck is Superb.!! I placed my hand over the frets at the joint and my pinky was directly over the A string at the 21st fret. No stretch what-so-ever. That is... Impressive.

The aged binding is incredible. It grew on me over a few hours. When I first pulled the guitar out of the decent gig-bag the only thing I was impressed with was the hardware and the headstock. Billet Green is sort of gray and toned way back. Now, I see a gorgeous guitar in every way. Frankly, it looks antique to me. Satin hand-brushed finish with that aged binding makes it look 30 years old, in perfect condition. Just beauty and simplicity all wrapped in one. I love it. So far..... (wish i knew how to post a picture off of Imgur. this site won't accept the https:// tag)

Last edited by 3notes; 04-24-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:08 AM

I find it easiest to post pics using the Tapatalk app. Here's my (highly modded) Pac012. I used the medium size rendering and uploaded this photo from my phone.

Congrats on the guitar! I can't wait to see it. Is yours heavy?
Old 04-25-2020, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
wish i knew how to post a picture off of Imgur. this site won't accept the https:// tag)
Congrats, 3notes. The AGF certainly will accept Imgur pics. Take a look at this thread and PM me if you have questions. As a registered user, you have two choices that will work fine... using Tapatalk as YamahaGuy said... or a third-party host which Imgur is. Let me know if I can help. Look forward to seeing pics.

You may be linking us to the wrong URL. Feel free to PM me the links and I'll see what I can do for you.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Yamaha Revstar RS502 arrived today. Guitar was well packed and the package content was warm when it arrived. I took an hour to open it up completely.

First impressions so I'll be short. Every component to the guitar is top shelf. Machine heads are outstanding. Wrap around tailpiece is impressive. The neck feels different. It's a chunk for my smallish hands and bad thumb. Fret work is flawless and the jumbo frets are not obnoxious as I had feared. Its a great neck and playability out of the box is very good. P90 pickups are lively.!! Man. This thing would cut through a vault door if there was music inside. They are impressive and will take some time to grow accustomed to. I would say this is truly a..... Lead Guitar. Very clean and articulate tone.

I have to say the the upper frets are in play.!! The carving around the set-in neck is Superb.!! I placed my hand over the frets at the joint and my pinky was directly over the A string at the 21st fret. No stretch what-so-ever. That is... Impressive.

The aged binding is incredible. It grew on me over a few hours. When I first pulled the guitar out of the decent gig-bag the only thing I was impressed with was the hardware and the headstock. Billet Green is sort of gray and toned way back. Now, I see a gorgeous guitar in every way. Frankly, it looks antique to me. Satin hand-brushed finish with that aged binding makes it look 30 years old, in perfect condition. Just beauty and simplicity all wrapped in one. I love it. So far..... (wish i knew how to post a picture off of Imgur. this site won't accept the https:// tag)
Hey congrats. sounds like a great guitar....

Note. As far as Imgur just click on the photo on your "images" page (the one with all your images showing as 1 inch thumbnails )

When the individual photo page opens with all the links on the right side ....
(If you have pre sized the photo before upload )
Just click the BBCode blue "Copy" button and then just hit your paste command in your AGF message box .. done
(Or if you have not pre sized it)
Then go to the bottom right int the "Sizes" box and click "Huge Thumbnail" and then copy the BBCode then and paste that in your message box

and this is what you get. (if you try it and are still having issues, if you like I can post a pictorial step by step, post in this thread )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-25-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:04 AM

I’m a big Revstar/Yamaha fan! I can’t wait to see pictures of your beautiful new guitar, 3notes!
Old 04-25-2020, 10:06 AM

Fantastic! I'm not familiar with the Revstar so I checked it out on MF. Looks like a tone monster ... and P90s can really rock.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:54 AM

Gee, thanks for all the nice, helpful replies everyone. I'm going to get that picture thing going this time around. I love sharing pictures.!!

I'm on the go but hopefully this evening I'll post up and reply to any questions above.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:14 PM

Looking forward to seeing the pics too, 3notes. Happy NGD!
Old 04-25-2020, 01:46 PM

Happy NGD 3notes I'm looking forward to the photos as well.

Those Revstars with P90s are really nice. I think I need a P90 guitar myself one day.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 04-25-2020, 04:35 PM

Here are some pix from the OP 3notes:
That’s one nice looking Yamaha!
And the Gretch is pretty easy on the eyes too.
Attachment 36659

Attachment 36660

Attachment 36661

Attachment 36662

Attachment 36663

Attachment 36664

Last edited by Chickee; 07-08-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:

Congrats. It's pretty simple to post pics off Imgur. Right click (if using most browsers) and select Copy Image Address and paste in here using the picture icon at the top.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-25-2020, 05:36 PM

Houston.... We have no problem. Test 1,2,3 Test 1,2 Test Yes.!! Piece of cake. What I did different was right click on the picture rather choosing the URL . I think I'm golden.

Thanks for helping me Chickee. And others too. Super.

You see here that I put a layer of satin black over the pickguard and then I lightly sanded it down to match the headstock. I hit the edges with a Sharpie to give them a gloss look. It matches pretty well but I lost the 3-ply effect.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Outstanding! Glad you figured out the pics. Once we get it, we wonder why we ever had trouble.

Congratulations!
Old 04-25-2020, 06:01 PM

This shows the beautiful set-in neck. Every fret on the board is easily accessed. Real comfortable.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:57 PM

I love that wrap around bridge! I need that one for my Weddington Classic. Very cool looking guitar. Nice strap too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars