The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-08-2014, 05:42 AM

Lightbulb Help for repainting my Yamaha APX 7

After 20 years I decided to give back to my Yamaha APX-7 a new dress. It was a long time I wanted to do, taking advantage of the fact that the excellent internal amplification unfortunately does not work, I removed all and I'm checking to see if I can fix it and how can I do.

What I want to mention here, however, does not concern the electronics, but the coating, so I unvarnished the entire back of my guitar, bringing it back to live wood.

The Yamaha clothed these guitars with a very tough paint, which seemed plastic, I never liked it, and I think it was blocking too much of the natural vibrations of the wood.

Now I would like to lets see the natural wood, perhaps with an amber color a little darker. I've been reading around, I found that would agree to go before one or more layers of lacquer and then overlay some natural varnish, but I'm not understanding much, too many different directions and techniques.

I ask for help in this forum!
Is there anyone can tell me what exactly are the steps to follow in order?
What are your recommendations?

I try to post some photos to giva an idea.

Thanks !!!
Old 11-08-2014, 06:20 AM

I can think of three options which don't require lots of workshop equipment.

French Polish is one of the oldest finishes for both instruments and furniture. It is very simple in terms of equipment but requires a good deal of skill. There is lots of information online for you to search.

Secondly, I've not done this but heard about it, you can buy aerosols of clear varnish for Alloy car wheels which is the same sort of varnish as used on classic American guitars. Again online research for how to info.

Thirdly I use one pot polyurethane varnish, sometimes called yatch varnish. Brush on three coats, flat off, repeat and buff. This may not give the mirror finish of other varnishes but it will protect the wood and allow it to move. Equipment needed is varnish, brush, thinners, wet and dry paper and polishing compound. If you have a compressor, or access to one then there are more options.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:12 AM

thanks for advice, let me check which of the three I could do, depending on the availability of prodottti that I can find.

In the meantime I'll attach some pics of the guitar during the work:

First I coat a layer of paint remover and and scratched off:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v395ouy8ug...5conv.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gp8gldv7gp...7conv.jpg?dl=0

than with sandpaper machine, I've I brought the wood out

https://www.dropbox.com/s/94rsdrpnsx...2conv.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zk30e2deo3...4conv.jpg?dl=0
Old 11-08-2014, 09:53 AM

I'm not sure but it looks like you've sanded through the veneer on the back. If so, you have no option but to paint it now - unless you like that look.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
If you have a compressor, or access to one then there are more options.
I have one of this gun for paint... could be useful ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqzkjqdmrj...9conv.jpg?dl=0
Old 11-08-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I'm not sure but it looks like you've sanded through the veneer on the back. If so, you have no option but to paint it now - unless you like that look.
I just removed the paint with the solvent and then give a little sanded to remove residual solvent.

I would proceed to paint.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giurmax View Post

Only if you really know how to use it. Your guitar is not a good place to find out. Also the gun you would use for a guitar needs to have a fairly fine spray or you're just going to be hosing it. Looking at the pic again, I'm doubting that gun is adequate for painting your guitar.

If everything looks stainable, perhaps consider a dark stain and a brush on clear coat. It's pretty easy and you can get the supplies no matter where you live. Use pre-stain, a foam brush, and sand between clear coat layers in order to get a smoother/shinier finish.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:

I only do brush on stuff so I can't really comment. Is that a compressor it attaches to? If you are familiar with the gun then it might be a good option.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:37 PM

Lightbulb

No, actually I do not know how to use the gun, I always used the brush to paint the wood (furniture, not guitars) and I do not think I'll start using it now. As Bowie said, the guitar is not a good subject on which to set me up for the experiment.

Just to be sure, so you recommend me in this order?
I ask you to please confirm the order of steps and my questions in each step:

1. apply a single coat of pre-stain with a foam brush (or normal brush?)
2. apply a dark stain with foam brush (or normal brush?)
3. apply a clear coat of paint over the stain dark with foam-brush (called yacht varnish polyurethane varnish, or other kind of varnish too? Can you give me some examples of usable paint or links?)
4. sand (which number of sandpaper do you recommend?)
5. apply a second coat of clear varnish
6. sand (which number of sandpaper do you recommend?)
Old 11-08-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
No, actually I do not know how to use the gun, I always used the brush to paint the wood (furniture, not guitars) and I do not think I'll start using it now. As Bowie said, the guitar is not a good subject on which to set me up for the experiment.

Just to be sure, so you recommend me in this order?
I ask you to please confirm the order of steps and my questions in each step:

1. apply a single coat of pre-stain with a foam brush (or normal brush?)
2. apply a dark stain with foam brush (or normal brush?)
3. apply a clear coat of paint over the stain dark with foam-brush (called yacht varnish polyurethane varnish, or other kind of varnish too? Can you give me some examples of usable paint or links?)
4. sand (which number of sandpaper do you recommend?)
5. apply a second coat of clear varnish
6. sand (which number of sandpaper do you recommend?)
I've never used stain but if I did I would use a stained varnish or paint after a couple of coats of clear. What about pore filling?
Old 11-09-2014, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
I've never used stain but if I did I would use a stained varnish or paint after a couple of coats of clear. What about pore filling?
I'm confused, my problem is mainly translation, because I speak English but I'm not a native English speaker, and translating some technical terms in my language, I can not find an exact match.
So in this case, the word stain in my language (Italian), is translated as "mordente" (something like "biting") . The "mordente" is a substance that is to be first of all the rest just to fill the pores. But if you tell me which is the opposite then I suspect there is a problem of translation.

Could you send me links to images so that you can understand what you intend to stain, and what do you mean by clear varnish?

thanks so much for you kind support
Old 11-09-2014, 09:03 AM

What I call 'clear varnish' is perhaps what you might call 'paint' without colour.

http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/...type/varnishes

The finish is hard and protects the wood from moisture and dirt. It can be shiny or gloss and it can be less shiny and satin.

For me a 'stain' is a liquid colouring agent which does not add protection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_stain

Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:59 AM

Ok , Thanks for your link , is more clear. Is right like I had understood before.
So I'm gonna do a layer of brown stain for pores filling and than some coat of clear varnish, sanding each layer.

Which number of sandpaper do you recommend for a glossy effect ?
Old 11-09-2014, 10:17 AM

I used Wet & Dry paper with white spirits starting with 240, then 320 and then 400 grade. This was followed by polishing.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:53 PM

So... guys, after research in various shopping malls and paint stores in my area, curiously, I could not find polyurethane varnish, but I found the shellac prepared and a tampon. So I am going to begin to educate myself on how to apply this method, follow tutorials.

I'll try to figure out if I can put the water stain dark wood color as first base, then move the shellac.

we will see!

thank you very much for the help you have given me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
apx-7, paint, vernishing, yamaha