The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-06-2015, 08:00 AM

Default String buzz advice

Hey there,

Question on a string buzz issue. The guitar in question is a Collings 12-string.

Let's say we number the strings (6BA)-(5BA)-(4BA)-(3BA)-(2BA)-(1BA), with the courses in parentheses, from 1-6, with the pairs of strings A and B numbered in ascending fashion.

I just completed a re-string and notice that string 1B is buzzing at the first fret. I guess that seems strange to me that 1B is buzzing and 1A is not. Might that indicate either an exceedingly minor truss rod adjustment could help, or is it possible I screwed something up in stringing (which I can't see how but who knows)? Or is it that the groove in the nut for that string might just be a little deep?

I suppose it could be the nut. I occasionally had a minor issue before I restrung the instrument, but very seldom and I guess it kinda just sounded extra jangly on occasion. The strings that I put on (Pyramid extra lights) actually feel pretty low-tension compared to the D'Adds that were on it, I guess it's also possible that they're putting less tension on the neck and it needs a minor adjustment. None of the rest of the strings/courses do this, even when you dig in a bit.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Stuart

Collings DS2HMapA
Collings CL Dlx
Etc.
Bill Collings '78 Brazilian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair